Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some schools require academic reference for grad school admission?
So I am feeling awkward about my letters of recommendation. I have 2 solid recommendation letters, but some schools ask for a third from an academic source, like a professor. First of all, my entire undergraduate was online (Bachelor's in Business Admin.) so i never had a connection at all with any professor. Also, the field of study I am going into is completely different than business. Do I just skip out on the academic reference and try to find another or do I awkwardly ask a professor that I don't know but took their class... so weird and uncomfortable. What do you think?
I'm sure you wouldn't be the first online student to ask for a reference. Go for it. The worst is a no. If you enjoyed and/or did particularly well in a class, go for that one.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
I'm with Passit, you're not the first and you won't be the last. Annoying requirements are the hallmark of grad school, let the fun begin lol. Smile
I asked for one from one of my TESC mentors. I wrote the recommendation for her and gave it to her as a template. I even researched her so I could include some info about her in the letter. Her words: "How can I say no, when you've made it so easy for me!"

She tweaked it and sent it out, I got in. Don't be afraid to ask some of your mentors, remember they know you are a professional and you are part of their network (the whole backscratching bit).

They're busy professionals. Make it easy for them by reminding who you are and giving them a letter (as a sample of course) which includes their history and the great things you did in class. You may be surprised.

Good Luck!
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Even if you didn't really have much contact with any of your professors or mentors, there should still be a process in place for you to get an academic recommendation. I'd suggest checking with the Career Services department of your school. They will be able to help you out with this. If your grad school requires it, don't skip it.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
dmjacobsen Wrote:Even if you didn't really have much contact with any of your professors or mentors, there should still be a process in place for you to get an academic recommendation. I'd suggest checking with the Career Services department of your school. They will be able to help you out with this. If your grad school requires it, don't skip it.

I like the suggestion about asking Career Services, or even your academic advisor? Being creative at meeting this and other requirements helps stretch you into the morphing process from being a learner (undergrad) into being a creator of new knowledge/leader.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CEE Admission at UIUC RED_Monster_2555 7 384 03-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 888 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Discerning dubious from legit foreign schools rachel83az 19 4,659 03-14-2024, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Ebbwvale
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,185 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,352 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,284 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,542 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,283 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute