Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to AMU - anyone else going there? :) What are the classes like?
Hey there everybody,

I was an Instant Cert subscriber back in 2010 & 11 when I was going for my BA @ TESC.

After getting that BA, I was able to move up pretty high in my state government career. However, now I've hit a plateau and it doesn't seem like I can move up any higher without a Master's Degree in something business related.

After looking at different schools and doing my research, I decided on getting my Master's in Management at American Military University.
I was hesitant at first signing up with a for-profit school, but I also made sure first with my current employer that as long as the school is regionally accredited (which AMU is), that it counts as being eligible for future jobs here that require a Master's. Also, it seems this school doesn't have as much negative stigma that some other online for-profits have. If I was in the private sector, I'd probably choose another school. But since this will get the job done of being able to check the box as having a Master's (which is all I really need) AND it was the cheapest of any of the ones I looked at, I decided on AMU to get 'er done.

I was wondering if there was anyone else on this forum that is currently going to AMU, possibly in one of their graduate degree programs that might be able to shed some light on how the classes operate and maybe tell me a little bit about your experience thus far.

I thoroughly enjoyed the discussions and help here on the forum in the past so I'm looking forward to contributing again!

Thanks everyone!
Good luck on all your educational and professional endeavors!
kevinmane Wrote:Hey there everybody,

I was an Instant Cert subscriber back in 2010 & 11 when I was going for my BA @ TESC.

After getting that BA, I was able to move up pretty high in my state government career. However, now I've hit a plateau and it doesn't seem like I can move up any higher without a Master's Degree in something business related.

After looking at different schools and doing my research, I decided on getting my Master's in Management at American Military University.
I was hesitant at first signing up with a for-profit school, but I also made sure first with my current employer that as long as the school is regionally accredited (which AMU is), that it counts as being eligible for future jobs here that require a Master's. Also, it seems this school doesn't have as much negative stigma that some other online for-profits have. If I was in the private sector, I'd probably choose another school. But since this will get the job done of being able to check the box as having a Master's (which is all I really need) AND it was the cheapest of any of the ones I looked at, I decided on AMU to get 'er done.

I was wondering if there was anyone else on this forum that is currently going to AMU, possibly in one of their graduate degree programs that might be able to shed some light on how the classes operate and maybe tell me a little bit about your experience thus far.

I thoroughly enjoyed the discussions and help here on the forum in the past so I'm looking forward to contributing again!

Thanks everyone!
Good luck on all your educational and professional endeavors!

I haven't taken classes with AMU/APU APUS however, I wouldn't hesitate. In fact, not only are they RA, but they are also NA which allows someone holding an NA degree to bring in prior credit and launder it through to an RA degree- at one time (still?) they were the only ones with both accreditations. My husband and I both started with Associate degrees that were NA, so this was a school we both considered.

I don't know if grad school is the same, but for undergrad, textbooks are also included- so it's a great deal $
WGU and APUS no longer hold RA and NA accreditation, but they still accept NA degrees. Any RA school can choose to accept NA degrees. University of Phoenix and Liberty University accept NA degrees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I don't know if this information will be useful to you because I haven't seen a class at AMU over the 400 level, but all the undergraduate classes I have seen are almost exactly the same. I have met a lot of people in the military at AMU, not one of them struggled with the class load
Weekly forum posts with replies to other students (typically 1-4 replies) count for 20-30% of your grade
Multiple choice Quizzes that are straight out of the E-book that is typically provided with the course worth 30-40%
Midterm and Final Paper worth 30-50%
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
sanantone Wrote:WGU and APUS no longer hold RA and NA accreditation, but they still accept NA degrees. Any RA school can choose to accept NA degrees. University of Phoenix and Liberty University accept NA degrees.

Not as a matter of policy they don't. My husband and I both had our NA degrees declined by UoP.
EDIT: not sure what that has to do with the OP's question lol
APUS no longer holds NA accreditation but are still regionally accredited. AMU did have both NA and RA until 2012 when they ditch the DETC (NA) accreditation - probably because they knew they didn't need both because RA is more widely accepted. That's cool with me! Smile

Sounds like a doable school!

If anybody has taken or is currently attending their Master's in Management degree at this school, feel free to hit me up and we can chat about it!

Good luck everybody!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,429 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Pittsburg State (Kansas) - Only online classes, pay resident tuition fee bjcheung77 0 750 12-27-2021, 03:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any sources for inexpensive/nontraditional masters-level social work classes? studyingfortests 4 931 06-20-2021, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Advanced Phys & Patho, Pharmacology, and Physical Assessment Classes? Hunter91 2 1,004 09-28-2020, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Are there any ACE grad classes? tjguitar85 20 2,978 09-07-2020, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Harvard Extension quality of classes question rpmranger 6 1,599 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  master classes transferable to Liberty University its4natalie 1 916 08-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Need help finding graduate classes tb81 17 3,698 06-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Last Post: SolarKat