Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Enlistment with College Credits
Maybe that is true for your friends but it wasn't true for me.
I was one of the few that enlisted for 4 years, most of my peers enlisted for 6. (I have been in 3 years)
Eveyone is an AB for the first 8 weeks
Some people are Amn and A1C in tech school, not that many. only people who completed college or did JROTC
After tech school almost everyone is A1C, except people who enlisted for 4 years. For those people you sew on E-2 at 6 months from basic start day. The pay difference between E-2 and E-3 is less than $100... But everyone was treated equally, may not be the same for other braches, but all the junior enlisted are going to be cleaning and doing stupid shit equally. I have never felt isolated or singled out to do dirty work, all junior enlisted had to do work equally. Then again maybe its just my career field. Everyone assumse you don't know shit if you're e-3 or below. An E-3 is trying to command around an E-2 or E-1 is unlikely.Most E5+ that I know would put him in his place.

With that being said i thought I answer your question in my first post. He must go though a degree granting insittuiton. You would be better off looking into AFIs. The AFI reads.
"Has satisfactorily completed 45 semester hours or 67 quarter hours of
credit from an accredited, degree-granting institution listed in the
applicable AIPE directory for last year attended."

9. Colleges and universities not listed (or listed as ―candidate‖ institutions) in the AIPE directory are
not authorized for award of a higher education code or enlistment grade

11.2. If the applicant‘s school is not regionally accredited, a letter of acceptance from a school listed
in the current AIPE directory is acceptable. The letter, with transcript attached, must:
11.2.1. State that the applicant would be accepted for continuing education.
11.2.2. State the total transferable credits by semester or quarter hours.
11.2.3. Bear the school‘s seal and original signature of the registrar or his or her representative

So he would need to get his credits washed though a college. Even if your parents pay for the tests there are better/faster ways to get the 45 credits, but if youre set on it aim for the courses that give 6+ credits.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
I suppose each experience is different depending on the career field chosen, but in the programming field it was rare to see an E1 or E2 after BMT. I'm not sure what field he will be shooting for. As for the pay difference he would be 16 months ahead if he has those 45 credits (6 months to get E2 + 10 more months to make E3). Plus that means he will get E4 that much sooner regardless whether he makes BTZ or not. Then he will be a whole test cycle ahead of a creditless Airman, leading to potentially even more money in the end.

I would love to use other sources like the free credits and SL, but I know CCAF doesn't like ACE credits. But as long as MEPS took them and they would be of use in the long run I would be all for it. I suppose it would depend on whether the college washing the credits accepted them
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
" I've watched friends slowly climb the ladder from E1 to E3 and they were miserable because they were the lowest ranking person."

True I seen that too in the Army. Sucks to do the same work and make less then everyone else. Tell your brother to try to make E3 before he comes in.

"Everyone assumse you don't know shit if you're e-3 or below. An E-3 is trying to command around an E-2 or E-1 is unlikely.Most E5+ that I know would put him in his place. "

Agreed. In the Army your NCOs/leaders will know you know nothing. Regardless of whether you are a brand new E3 or E4. Don't be afraid of an early promotion and don't let your brother be afraid. In the Army E1-E4 are pretty much treated the exact same (we are the workers) and the NCOs will put the most capable person in charge when in teams. As one NCO said when I was standing in a group "the only rank I care about is my own, listen to him and shut the fuck up". He was actually talking to a E4 who didn't like the idea of having to listen to an E3. The E3 had almost 2yrs of experience and the E4 just got out of AIT.

Bottom line my opinion do anything you can to help your brother rank up early. Remember an extra $100 a month is an extra $1200 a year.
jmeitrem Wrote:I suppose each experience is different depending on the career field chosen, but in the programming field it was rare to see an E1 or E2 after BMT. I'm not sure what field he will be shooting for. As for the pay difference he would be 16 months ahead if he has those 45 credits (6 months to get E2 + 10 more months to make E3). Plus that means he will get E4 that much sooner regardless whether he makes BTZ or not. Then he will be a whole test cycle ahead of a creditless Airman, leading to potentially even more money in the end.

I would love to use other sources like the free credits and SL, but I know CCAF doesn't like ACE credits. But as long as MEPS took them and they would be of use in the long run I would be all for it. I suppose it would depend on whether the college washing the credits accepted them

E1 and E2 is rare in any field, they use to call me a unicorn XD. Also I'd get the occasional people saluting me when I was E-1.
Although I do agree that he should get the 45 credits before he goes in if he can, the 16 months aheads in simply not true.

For a 6 year enlistee, they technically get their DOR on the day they graduate BMT. However, they don't sew on until after Tech school ( and they don't get back paid)

Difference here is that your brother would making extra money during tech school, longer the tech school the better investment. I am not sure if his DOR will be after basic or from the time he entered basic. I would have to look it up. If it is the time he entered basic he would be 2 months ahead of his peers, if it is BMT grad date he would rank up at the same time. My tech school was about 6 weeks, if your brother went to my short tech school he would have only made an extra 150$ or so.

For a 4 year enlistee, they AFI is written for E-4 promotion to be 28 Months TIG OR 36 months TIS. In this case the 36 months TIS would come first.

Difference here is once again making more ( probably would add up to 2K+ in long run) and he would be either 6 or 8 months ahead of the 4-year enlistee. (once again depending on if TIG is basic start or finish for people with college)
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
No matter how you do the math, I think we can agree that an E3 date of rank starting at the beginning of BMT is better than getting E3 after 16 months (6 year option off the table). But alas, his high school mind is changing as often as his socks. Now he wants his degree beforehand and try for OTS. In any case, I'll help him study for the CLEPs which should prove to be helpful in any situation
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
Yes they count. Just let them know that when he applies. He will have to provide an official transcript via Prometrics. There's a certain amount of credit needed for E-2, E-3. Don't know it off the top of my head. Look it up and good luck to your brother.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,415 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
Information US Naval Community College Pilot MNomadic 2 1,600 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,870 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,575 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,849 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,773 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,289 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,797 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Anyone do the Naval War College MA in Security Studies? johnw 0 2,291 01-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Last Post: johnw