Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got unofficial eval back, need advice on courses/exams
Hi all,

I received my unofficial evaluation from Excelsior today. I have over 160 semester hours, but it looks like I still need quite a few courses to graduate. Here's what I received:
------------------------------------------------------
Listed below are the requirements you still need to complete:

General Education (Arts & Sciences Requirement)
9.00 semester hours at the lower level PLUS
18.00 semester hours at the upper level

Distribution Requirements
1.00 in Natural Science/Math

Quantitative Requirement
All baccalaureate degree students are required to take a course (equal to at least 2 semester hours or 3 quarter hours) in quantitative reasoning. You may satisfy this requirement by taking a college level course or examination such as college algebra, trigonometry, or statistics.

Depth Requirements
A depth in the Arts & Sciences

A second depth in any academic area, including applied
professional/electives

AND

Applied Professional Credit or Additional Arts & Sciences
9.00 semester hours upper level in any academic area

Information Literacy Requirement </snip>

I have enrolled in the Information Literacy and MAT 113 (College Math) courses through Excelsior, and am currently preparing to take the Abnormal Psychology ECE within a week or so. Would someone be so kind as to give me an idea of what classes would be a good choice to fulfill the remaining credit requirements? This is what I have planned so far:

Research Methods in Psych (received an 'A)
Abnormal Psych
Foundations of Gerontology
Adulthood and Aging
Info Literacy
College Math (MAT 113)

As an aside, it's odd that they're making me take this rather remedial math course, as I've already completed Basic Arithmetic, Pre-Algebra, Elementary Algebra, and Intermediate Algebra.

Any assistance that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.
Is that the Liberal Arts path? If so, I don't understand why they didn't accept the algebra courses. In my evaluation they accepted Elementary Algebra. It says "Quantitative Requirement Satisfied"

Funny thing, I had kept pushing for my English Prose Analysis & Interpretation to be considered part of the Arts & Sciences. They kept saying it was considered an Applied Professional. I kept scratching my head because at my local college it was considered part of the Arts & Sciences. Finally got another advisor to take the time to review the syllabus and get this approved.

Back to the Math, I would do the same thing and try to reach another advisor. Then again, I don't know if they changed the policy because the review of my Liberal Studies with Excelsior is dated 06/25/2007.

If they don't accept the algebra course, then check into College Mathmatics CLEP as it's 6 units and it does have it listed as "Quantitative Requirement Satisfied"
Yep, I'm going for the B.S. in Liberal Studies. I agree, I can't see how Intermediate Algebra would not cover the requirement. At the community college where I took all my math courses there wasn't a course entitled 'College Algebra' or 'College Math'; the next math course in the series was PreCal.

I really hope they will refund my enrollment fee (for MAT 113) should it turn out that Intermediate Algebra covers the requirement. I went ahead and enrolled since tuition reimbursement (I'm a reservist on active duty right now) will cover the cost.

I'm really stumped how I can have so many credits (~96 throught the Air Force, ~60 through various colleges and universities, and 9 through testing) but still need 9 lower division credits. I suppose I should contact an advisor and try to get that resolved as well.

Many thanks for your help.
Pursuing B.S. in Liberal Studies through Excelsior
A.A.S. in Allied Health, Community College of the Air Force
A.A.S. in Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force

Abnormal Psychology (B)
ECE Gerontology (B)
Drug & Alcohol Abuse (57 - A)
Here's to Your Health (58 - A)
Intro Sociology (71)

Awaiting scores:
ECE Ethics
[/SIZE]
jason Wrote:Yep, I'm going for the B.S. in Liberal Studies. I agree, I can't see how Intermediate Algebra would not cover the requirement. At the community college where I took all my math courses there wasn't a course entitled 'College Algebra' or 'College Math'; the next math course in the series was PreCal.

I really hope they will refund my enrollment fee (for MAT 113) should it turn out that Intermediate Algebra covers the requirement. I went ahead and enrolled since tuition reimbursement (I'm a reservist on active duty right now) will cover the cost.

I'm really stumped how I can have so many credits (~96 throught the Air Force, ~60 through various colleges and universities, and 9 through testing) but still need 9 lower division credits. I suppose I should contact an advisor and try to get that resolved as well.

Many thanks for your help.

when I got mine for Liberal Studies they said I had 98 units but still needed 15 lower division and 21 upper. My Elementary Algebra was considered quantitative class, so I fulfilled it. Best to call 888-647-2388 press 1,3,2,1 at greeting and if possible ask to speak with Tamara. She seems to be the most patient as I've asked her so many of the same questions. hilarious

I'm almost thinking they changed the requirement if they are not accepting it. If the math was not completed long ago, you should try taking the College Mathematics CLEP. It would be much easier for you, plus it's 6 units. Again, you need to get with the advisor before you do this. Myself, it's been such a long time that I'm doing my math all over again because I got a "C" on the math course and I plan to take Statistics and decided to switch over to B.S. in General Business.
I'd call, however I'm currently deployed to Kuwait and making stateside calls can be a bit trying, to put it mildly. I like to perform as much correspondence as possible by email.

I've been considering the college math clep, however some of the stuff covered on the IC prep test looks a bit foreign to me. Perhaps I'll sit it after a bit of studying. It would definitely be nice to knock out 6 credits at once.
Pursuing B.S. in Liberal Studies through Excelsior
A.A.S. in Allied Health, Community College of the Air Force
A.A.S. in Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force

Abnormal Psychology (B)
ECE Gerontology (B)
Drug & Alcohol Abuse (57 - A)
Here's to Your Health (58 - A)
Intro Sociology (71)

Awaiting scores:
ECE Ethics
[/SIZE]
Jason,
Excelsior is great for completing a degree. but watch your back! the counselors (Bad choice of words) are great if you have yes or no questions.
Also, the staff seem to be there to quote policies and procedures as opposed to offer educational assistance. that being said, I would be glad to help you figure out what you should do, since I didn't have anyone to help, I have waste lots of time and money with Excelsior due to their lack of ......anything helpful.
But if you know the system, which I do now, you can use it to your advantage.
My email is jason@rusk.com feel free to email and I will see if I can help.
Jason

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,519 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,547 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 265 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az