Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for Advice: Credits I have and what degree I should go for at Excelsior
But back to the OP's situation: If your employer wants you to get an associate, then a bachelor's degree, from Excelsior, that can be done. But the option to test out of the Capstone requirement for a BSBA at TESU is difficult to overlook.

All of the Big Three are good schools and the best fit for one person may be different for another. The great thing is that we have choices.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Apply to all three and see who offers the best deal. Since you're not going to pay tuition, invest in yourself by spending money on three applications. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Well saidcheersmate

clep3705 Wrote:Apply to all three and see who offers the best deal. Since you're not going to pay tuition, invest in yourself by spending money on three applications. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

KayV,

Thank you for your response.

Personally, I rather go ahead and speed the process along by paying for tests, etc. myself vs waiting for the company approval process for reimbursement of actual classes passed. If I do have to take a course at one of the Big3, I know I can request reimbursement for it.

I have no IT certs.

I guess I just need to decide which of the Big 3 would be my best option based on cost and the least restrictions.

I might as well go for the Bachelor's since I do have the time to go for it.
I am blown away by such great and thorough responses to my question. Each of you have given me much to think about. Things that I did not even know or ever consider.

TESU is looking like the one based on how quickly I can finish a Bachelor's.

Your input truly makes the process of planning and preparing for this not so overwhelming.

The path to a Bachelor's is looking much more clearer now!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I am truly and sincerely grateful.
TESU is a great choice, especially since you can test out of the Strategic Management Capstone. You should be able to use all of your credits toward a degree there. Keep doing research here to find out about all the credit sources (CLEP, DSST, Study, Saylor, Straighterline, etc.) available now and how to complete credits successfully. Good luck!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
(12-20-2016, 10:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why Excelsior in particular, especially with that expensive 6cr capstone course for a Business degree??

Are you willing to look at any of the other Big 3 schools?  How about a competency-based programs like WGU?  They have a better deal for an IT degree, if you're interested in that.  They accept ACE-credit just like the Big 3, and are also a SL partner school.  It might be a better fit, and cheaper and faster than EC.

TESU's BSBA will be the fastest, since you can test out of the capstone course, but your company may balk at the $2,000 residency waiver.  They accept the most courses as UL, and only require 12cr of UL which is a huge bonus.  The downside is that they accept the fewest certs and kind of random credits, but you don't have that problem with the courses you've taken.

COSC's BSBA is a good deal, and close to the same price as TESU.  You will have to take the Cornerstone and Capstone there though (online) which will take more time than TESU.

EC is the most expensive, and has the 6cr capstone, which for me would be a deal-breaker.  You may be able to get a good deal through POAG when you enroll (Peace Officer's Assoc of GA, only $25 to become an associate member, but you have to become a member, and tell EC when you enroll).  This would be my very last choice of the 3.

WGU has both a BSBA (with several concentrations available), several IT degrees, and probably most applicable to you, a BS in Data Management/Data Analytics.

I would check out all 4 schools before you committed to EC.

Hi dfrecore.

I hate to bother, but was wondering if you have a template for the WGU BS in Data Mgmt./Data Analytics  where I can plug in the below to gauge what I need to finish? I completed SAS and SQL courses and have certificate of completion for those. Not sure if those count for anything.

• English 110 Writing Seminar I 
  • English 111 Writing Seminar II 
  • English 205 Intermediate Composition 
  • English 206 Reading & Writing Poetry 
  • Org Beh 301 Leadership Principles 
  • Org Beh 307 Organization Behavior 
  • Org Beh 311 Conflict Resolution
  • Comm 205 Theories of Persuasion
  • Phil 262 Ethical Problems & Public Issues 
Appreciate your guidance.

Thanks again.

beautifualpsalms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,499 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 584 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 261 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 600 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 681 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 283 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain