Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
WGU MBA/MSML Progress Share
When everyone talks about how many pages their papers are, how many words is that? I'm used to counting words, not pages, so I'd like a feel for how much that is.
The first course, Managing Organizations and Leading People had two written assignments and these are my stats:

Task 1 - 17 Pages - 4356 word count
Task 2 - 13 Pages - 3327 word count
Times Font 12 - Double Spaced

It should be noted that WGU does not have a page requirement. One could write as little or as much as desired as long as you are able to meet the rubric requirements. Writing as little as you want does not tend to be an option so don't get too excited about that mention. Trying to not write too much is a bigger hurdle than not writing enough - the topics are good and it is easy to get lost in them and overwrite.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 1 user Likes RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • amilitab4k9
(02-21-2018, 09:25 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: The first course, Managing Organizations and Leading People had two written assignments and these are my stats:

Task 1 - 17 Pages - 4356 word count
Task 2 - 13 Pages - 3327 word count
Times Font 12 - Double Spaced

Mine were:
Task 1- 17 pages 3425 word count
Task 2- 9 pages 1714 word count
Times 12-point font, double spaced, including title page, reference page, etc.

I agree about overwriting being a bigger temptation! I liked all the writing topics and had to consciously focus on not spending too much time on any one task.
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

[-] The following 1 user Likes kalishakti's post:
  • amilitab4k9
I third both comments above mine. They have page length suggestions on each task, and 90% I exceed that just to make sure I've covered all of my bases re: the rubric. For example, if the rubric says "give three examples of..." I'll include four or five, to be safe with evaluators. Obviously, it's not required and I don't do it every time, but if I can spend a few extra minutes to avoid another 2-5 days in Taskstream with revisions, I'd much rather do that.
WGU - BS Business, HR - Completed September 2017
WGU - MS, Management & Leadership - Started February 2018
[-] The following 1 user Likes jessikalauren's post:
  • amilitab4k9
Hey all! I jumped into the WGU MBA Feb 1st. I completed 6 courses so far. Time management and also just finishing a BSBA has helped. I could probably move through the material faster, but I am documenting anything that I don't already know to maximize the value.

My suggestion to any new MBA students would be to download the textbook apps on your phone. The apps will read the chapters to you, so you can listen in the car, while you are cleaning, exercising, folding laundry etc. Maybe your daily activities aren't as lame as mine, but this has allowed me to finish each book in about 4-5 days.
One downside to online MBAs is the lack off human interaction. I wish we had a better way to connect with our classmates.
[-] The following 2 users Like Motivated2move's post:
  • BearEDU, dfrecore
(02-27-2018, 12:28 PM)Motivated2move Wrote: My suggestion to any new MBA students would be to download the textbook apps on your phone. The apps will read the chapters to you,  so you can listen in the car,  while you are cleaning,  exercising, folding laundry  etc.  Maybe your daily activities aren't as lame as mine,  but this has allowed me to finish each book in about 4-5 days.
One downside to online MBAs is the lack off human interaction.  I wish we had a better way to connect with our classmates.

Exactly this! I have a Bay Area commute, plus my partner lives 3 hours away so I am always in the car. So happy I'm a student during the age of text-to-speech.

As for interacting with others, I've felt really happy with the Facebook and Reddit groups, in addition to this board. Let me know if you might want some recommendations.
(02-27-2018, 12:28 PM)Motivated2move Wrote: Hey all!  I jumped into the WGU MBA Feb 1st. I completed 6 courses so far. Time management and also just finishing a BSBA has helped.  I could probably move through the material faster,  but I am documenting anything that I don't already know to maximize the value.

My suggestion to any new MBA students would be to download the textbook apps on your phone. The apps will read the chapters to you,  so you can listen in the car,  while you are cleaning,  exercising, folding laundry  etc.  Maybe your daily activities aren't as lame as mine,  but this has allowed me to finish each book in about 4-5 days.
One downside to online MBAs is the lack off human interaction.  I wish we had a better way to connect with our classmates.

thats very fast!! nice now im even more motivated to get this started. Ive been waiting for the March 9 graduation at TESU so i can apply to WGU MSML.

I hope I can move just as fast as well to be able to do 6 courses in a month!

Are you guys able to skip the textbook readings and jump straight to the assignments or is that not recommended?
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
(03-02-2018, 05:16 PM)BearEDU Wrote: Are you guys able to skip the textbook readings and jump straight to the assignments or is that not recommended?

Everyone is different! In my undergrad, I just needed the diploma to put on my resume so I skipped as much reading as I could. Now that I'm in the MSML it's a very fine line, because I LOVE the material and can't stop reading, even though I could probably get through lots of the assignments without reading everything. BUT I am also motivated to fit it all into one term so it's extra cost-efficient. It's whatever is comfortable for you!
I’ve completed 9 in a month (not including orientation.) I read the highlights/key portions of the textbook readings, plus the videos/webinars/study guides provided by the course instructors. If there are any topics I am shaky on, I read the textbook chapters and do the practice questions/problems. Smile
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

WGU does not have any required reading prior to attempting an exam or writing assignment. However, someone without a decent amount of experience or comprehension/writing skills would better serve themselves by spending some time reading the course material or attending course workshops.

Pattern University is built the same except a student can complete course task ( pre- exam/written final / not required) and the scores will count toward your grade. This can play a value to bump up a written or exam score if needed.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI MAOL vs WGU MSML? Jwheels27 29 4,735 06-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 4,942 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Share your TESU to GaTech OMSCS experience Blckbuster 4 1,142 03-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU MSML and MBA Sb2013 11 1,740 03-06-2023, 01:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Accepted into WGU MSML and UTPB MBA mohelena02 11 1,482 08-28-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Cowabunga Dude
  WGU MSML vs UMPI MOAL vs UMass MOAL mohelena02 4 1,735 06-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? Mikevalek 11 6,734 07-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Does WGU give a discount for getting an MBA if you already have an MSML? Clepking100 6 1,330 04-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Battle of the MAOL/MSML - Brief Comparison bjcheung77 9 2,220 04-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Recent wgu msml review - 6 month masters Clepking100 4 2,205 02-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Clepking100