Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
(02-05-2019, 09:57 PM)Supermind Wrote: Has anyone else noticed the recent intensification of study.com’s proctored exams? I am not sure if that is my subjective impression. But I feel that from January, the questions are a little trickier, and test application and comprehension. In December last year, it felt like the questions were testing basic understanding and recollection of facts. Sometimes, the questions are worded wrongly, and may confuse readers. But, with a little more focus, you seem to get what they are trying to test.

Maybe you're just taking harder classes now?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Actually I completed most of my upper level classes in November/December. The ones I am taking now are mostly only electives. Yes, Abnormal Psychology felt a little challenging owing to the fact that it requires memorizing the symptoms of different psychological conditions. But courses like ‘Foundations of Education’ are fairly straightforward. There were many hypothetical questions testing practical application of concepts.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Provider: TEEX
Course: Death Investigation (Online) 
Course content: 49 Question pre-test, 9 modules without quizzes at the end, and post test.
Final exam format: 49 multiple choice and T/F questions.  You get three (3) attempts at passing (70%).
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The final is very similar to the pre-test and aligns with the course content.
Time taken on course: I didn't time, maybe 5 or 6 hours.  
Familiarity with subject before course: I was very familiar with the material.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: I'm not an IT person and found the TEEX Cyber courses to be fairly difficult and monotonous.  This was a whole lot easier and more interesting for me that those courses.

I don't live in Texas and I'm not a Texas LEO and still paid the $75.00 tuition even though the site stated it could be higher.  

The only pitfall I see for some people is the fact the course has a few graphic death/injury type of photos scattered throughout, but not as many as could be expected.

1-10 Difficulty level: 2
[-] The following 3 users Like jbwyo's post:
  • cwendy111, mudball, ROYISAGIRL
Nice I about to start this
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(02-24-2019, 04:08 PM)jbwyo Wrote: Provider: TEEX
Course: Death Investigation (Online) 
Course content: 49 Question pre-test, 9 modules without quizzes at the end, and post test.
Final exam format: 49 multiple choice and T/F questions.  You get three (3) attempts at passing (70%).
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The final is very similar to the pre-test and aligns with the course content.
Time taken on course: I didn't time, maybe 5 or 6 hours.  
Familiarity with subject before course: I was very familiar with the material.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: I'm not an IT person and found the TEEX Cyber courses to be fairly difficult and monotonous.  This was a whole lot easier and more interesting for me that those courses.

I don't live in Texas and I'm not a Texas LEO and still paid the $75.00 tuition even though the site stated it could be higher.  

The only pitfall I see for some people is the fact the course has a few graphic death/injury type of photos scattered throughout, but not as many as could be expected.

1-10 Difficulty level: 2

This is UL on ACE;
Death Investigation Online (FSA114)

Credit Type: Course
ACE Course Number: 0300
Organization: Texas Engineering Extension Service
Length: 40 hours
Dates Offered: 12/1/2018 - 11/30/2021
Objective: The course objective is to educate law enforcement and non-commissioned personnel assigned to crime scene investigation.
Learning Outcome: Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to explain how to conduct a proper death investigation.
Instruction: The methods of instruction include computer-based training. The general course topics include death investigation; arrival at scene; documenting the scene; documenting evidence; documenting the decedent; exiting the scene; special considerations; scene wrap-up; and autopsy.
Assessment: The methods of assessment include case studies and examinations with a minimum passing score of 70 percent.
Credit Recommendation: In the upper-division baccalaureate degree category, 3 semester hours in criminal justice, criminal investigation, or forensics (12/18).
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
Provider: Study.com
Course: History 100: Western Civ from Pre-History to Post-WW2
Course content: 140 Lessons
Final exam format: 70 question multiple choice final to be completed in 2 hrs.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: It's all covered. Also, if you've done some other History courses from Study.com, this course can be 100% filled in before you start it
Time taken on course: 0 hours. It was 100% complete on my account from other courses and I took the final cold.
Familiarity with subject before course: I've taken every History course Study.com offers for credit
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: none
1-10 Difficulty level: 1
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Provider: Study.com
Course: English 305: Advanced Technical Writing
Course content: 129 Lessons, 1 Final Project
Final exam format: 100 question multiple choice final to be completed in 2 hrs.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: It's all covered.
Familiarity with subject before course: Pretty familiar
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: This is actually more of a business communications course than a technical communications course, so there's a ton of stuff about writing proposals and using memos and emails, stuff like that. It's not hard.
1-10 Difficulty level: 2ish
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

[-] The following 3 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • akr680, RachelB, suzycupcake
(12-31-2018, 11:05 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I was just curious, would any of you guys be interested in a thread just like this but reviewing courses from TESU, COSC, Excelsior, WGU, etc? I looked over in the other forum but didn't see one, just seems like something people might want, although if they're transferring in everything and just doing the capstone, maybe not.

I would yes.

GG
Community College - 39 Credits
Excelsior/ECE - Information Literacy, World Conflicts After 1900, Research Methods in Psychology, Weather and Climate, Workplace Communication with Computers, Labor Relations, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Educational Psychology
DSST - Ethics of America, Principals of Supervision, Health and Human Development, Human Resources Management, The Civil War and Reconstruction, Substance Abuse, Environmental Science, History of the Soviet Union
Study.Com - Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology, Communications 102: Interpersonal Communications, Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation, English 105: English Composition II, History 108: History of the Vietnam War, Statistics 101: Principles of Statistics
Ok well I hope it won't step on anyone's toes if I start one then. I was waiting for someone else to do it but it doesn't seem like it's happening.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Excelsior

Ok there's the thread, i'll add my courses here shortly, feel free to jump in with your own

Provider: OnlineDegree.com
Course: Intro to Psychology
Course content: 16 Lessons - each with a UCI Open Lecture and several shorter YouTube videos related to the subject matter. There is a graded open book quiz at end of each unit spanning 5-7 questions.
Final exam format: 40 questions. Proctored by RPNow ($9 - course itself is free).
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Same format of questions as the quizzes.
Time taken on course: About 3 days of total dedicated time on this course only. Maybe a little less.
Familiarity with subject before course: Very little. 
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: As with all the other OD courses I have taken, there are several typos and confusing phrasing in questions. I was expecting this however and it was not that bad. Occasionally, a question does not make any sense... There is a lot of new terminology to grasp if you are new to psychology. I found this the hardest part... The concepts were easy for me but the terminology was very hard to memorize. I thought I may not pass once I was several questions in to the final, but I ended up with an 85%. Would probably be better to do this in shorter sessions over a longer period of time to let the information sink in (in fact we learn this is a more effective way of memorizing things in the class itself...) Smile
1-10 Difficulty level: 4

Provider: Sophia
Course: Student Success (1 credit)
Course content: 3 short units containing 2-3 challenges each plus a milestone.
Final exam format: 25 questions. Non-proctored.
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: Same format.
Time taken on course: A few hours.
Familiarity with subject before course: Some. 
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: This course is usually $49. I had previously taken both of Sophia's free courses, and was given $50 off my next course coupons for each - so when I applied the coupon, this course was FREE. Course is similar to the other two 1 credit courses. Anyone should be able to breeze through this in a few hours, I finished with 99% (Wondering what I got wrong...  Smile )
1-10 Difficulty level: 1
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt  sh: 120 (Complete)
Saylor (9): Env Eth, Mor & Pol Phil, Corp Com
OnlineDegree (18): Int Ast, Mod His, Int Psych, Microecon, Mark, Bio
Sophia (6 3): Con Res (1), Teams (1), SS (1), Gr Phil
CLEP (15): Int Soc, Mgmt, Comp (6), Gov't
CSM Learn (3): CSM
Institutes (2): Ethics (2)
TEEX (10 5): CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
Study.com (61 58): W Civ I, W Civ II, Rel 101, Pres Skills, Int Bus, Glob & Int Mgmt, Macroecon, Int to Computers, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Bus Law, Int E-Com, Col Alg, Precalc Alg (4), Int Ent, Princ Fin, SB Fin, SB Mgmt, Dig Mark, W Art His I, Fin Mgmt
TESU (9): SOS-110, Intro to Islam, Capstone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,257 Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 876 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 689 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,340 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,596 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 742 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,098 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,715 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat