Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many Classes is it safe to take a year while on active duty?
I'm halfway done with my bachelors and was thinking about taking 3 classes at a time to get my degree faster. I'm active duty Air Force and I was wondering if three classes at a time is too much or not.
Depends. Are you talking about studying for DSST exams, taking courses at a community college or using someone like straighterline / study.com ?
I personally preferred to take one course at a time. I could usually finish a course within a few days to a week when I was solely focused on that one course. That allowed me to finish 5-6 courses a month. The benefit with the ACE courses (or testing for that matter) was that I could spend any free time I had on it when I wanted to. If I needed a couple days off because of a busy weekend I could take the time off then pick up where I left off. I could test when I was ready. I was on my own schedule, not someone else's schedule. If you want to go the route many of us on this forum are taking then I recommend one course at a time and do as much as you can when you can. You may be surprised at how quickly you can get through the courses.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
It sounds like you're actually taking online courses at a college? If so, then it would really depend on what your time is like. There's no way for anyone here to be able to tell you this without knowing your personal situation (spouse? kids? how many hours a day you work? how much free time you have to study or go to school?). Too many variables here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Crank those courses out depending on how much time u have
EazyE Wrote:I'm halfway done with my bachelors and was thinking about taking 3 classes at a time to get my degree faster. I'm active duty Air Force and I was wondering if three classes at a time is too much or not.

You need to see how much time you have and how much energy you've got when deciding amount of courses.
It all boils down to time management, if you have enough time and dedication for X courses, take X amount...

For example, if you were already work on 3 courses each time and you're deciding now if it's OK, go with 3.
If you were working with only 1 course at a time and you're jumping up to 3 in this amount of time, you decide.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I've been taking two classes at a time on ground. Initially, I started with three classes this semester and dropped a class during first week because I received my score from College Composition in time. It all depends on your work schedule and if you are able to balance with family life (if you have kids/spouse). As long as you don't have any TDYs or upcoming deployments or huge Exercises/Inspections, taking three classes is doable.
mrskitty Wrote:I've been taking two classes at a time on ground. Initially, I started with three classes this semester and dropped a class during first week because I received my score from College Composition in time. It all depends on your work schedule and if you are able to balance with family life (if you have kids/spouse). As long as you don't have any TDYs or upcoming deployments or huge Exercises/Inspections, taking three classes is doable.

I don't think that the OP should think that because you can do this, he/she can as well. They might be able to handle 1 class, or 6, who knows. A lot would also depend on the class; a history course is going to require a lot of reading; English comp is going to require a ton of writing; math is going to require a lot of homework. But if they're good at math, or writing, or a fast reader, or love the subject, then it's going to be easier for one person than another.

25 years ago, my mom was working 60 hours a week and decided to go back to school. She needed 21 additional credits to get into a cohort program that was starting in January; she took 18cr in a single semester, plus CLEP'd a course. Did she do it? Yes. Did she hate every second of it? Yep. Did she have a life during those 16 weeks? Nope. Would she recommend it to anyone? Not unless they were in a similar situation. Then she'd tell them to suck it up and get it done.

The is just no way to tell someone how much THEY can handle.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for your service!

Are you using TA? If so, I'd take advantage of that and use it for the expensive stuff...gen-eds can be had 'on the cheap' through DSSTs/CLEPs and so on. Focus on classes that are hard to find for your degree, and/or expensive. Perhaps a big "name brand" for Area of Study courses, for example. Or laboratory/technical stuff that requires expensive equipment/lab access. I'd place this as a higher priority than speed.

As far as taking 2-3 classes, that's a matter for you to consider based upon your other obligations, stamina, endurance...I'd try to balance it so you're not taking, say, 3 upper level writing-intense classes at the same time. Depending on your degree/college, you might find that you like to take one or two 8-week classes (or summer intensives, 4-6week) vs three 15-16 week classes. There are many ways to skin this cat. If you want to give us more info on your college/major, we might have more detailed suggestions for you.
Have you taken all the DSST and CLEP the AF will pay for?

EazyE Wrote:I'm halfway done with my bachelors and was thinking about taking 3 classes at a time to get my degree faster. I'm active duty Air Force and I was wondering if three classes at a time is too much or not.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I'm very lucky I have a community college just down the street where I'm able to take tests.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Louisville - Masters (Active Duty) bjcheung77 0 631 06-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Brandman...Earn your Master's in only 7 classes. blaqberry 21 12,589 10-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,774 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Passing NUC495 and other upper level classes without taking 100/200 level classes Randy8876 0 1,567 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Randy8876
  Are SPēD certificates worth anything? What about their ACE-approved classes? OfficerA 2 1,563 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Best schools with online programs for Active Duty military ddwyer44 11 2,582 11-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Last Post: defscarlett
  (USAF) Other than instructor duty and cross-training (I think), what's CCAF for? OfficerA 5 1,632 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  FEMA Independent Study online classes for military service with GED kbk1061 18 3,255 09-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Max amount of cleps you can take while in AF active duty? Sorbik 4 1,289 04-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Harpda
  AF cuts proctored exams for DL classes, and more dcan 4 1,598 06-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Last Post: rhapsodyinblue