Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University of Maine at Presque Isle
I believe they will only accept a maximum of 30 ACE credits.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes harrypotter's post:
  • ECH90
The History program disappeared! They aren't returning my E-mails. Does anyone know what happened?
(11-06-2019, 05:26 AM)Pelican Wrote: The History program disappeared! They aren't returning my E-mails. Does anyone know what happened?
A friend pointed out to me this morning that the history & political science program wasn't on the site. I'd already applied. I emailed the enrollment counselor asking what's up. No answer yet.
Interesting. They also took the BA in Accounting off. I believe everyone is referring to the the drop-down menu from "Online Programs"

The pages themselves are still up:
https://www.online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-...ience.aspx
https://www.online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-accounting.aspx

I'd be interested if one of you could confirm. I'm wondering if it's due to some of these courses being incomplete. You'd see coursework say "Coming Soon" Perhaps some students such as us would quickly go through content and arrive at these courses not ready to enroll in yet. If it makes you feel better, you really didn't want to enroll in Marxism anyways.
[-] The following 2 users Like ivythrowaway's post:
  • akr680, mysonx3
I wondered the same. Was thinking of doing this instead of tesu history and it wasn't there anymore.
(11-06-2019, 05:26 AM)Pelican Wrote: The History program disappeared! They aren't returning my E-mails. Does anyone know what happened?

I talked to the director for the program, there's a delay with the approval from the regional accreditor so the program won't be open for another six months.
Depends what you want. They still have the "Liberal Studies" degree options which are pretty light on the minor credits. The minor credits themselves are a nice option since they map to something career-specific as well. A back-up option could be to enroll in Liberal Studies now expressing to your adviser that you want to switch to History if it's offered later on. But I'd only do that if you compromise with yourself that you'd be just as happy graduating with the Liberal Studies degree if things don't go as rosy with NECHE for the History degree.
In Progress - UMPI // BABA - Conc. Management
2013 - Yale University // Dropped Out... Confused
2011 - Deep Springs College // AA Philosophy
PLA's // Saylor Academy: Intro to Business, Financial Accounting, Management Information Systems, Calculus, Intro to Western Political Thought.

Intro Post (closed for telling the truth about WGU)

I’m interested in this for my daughter.  A BALS with an Educational Studies minor might be a better solution for someone like my daughter whose PLA credits and capstone credits at TESU would be in the educational field. (She hasn't enrolled yet but has had the pre-enrollment academic evaluation.)

So, I'm going to present an option that I think would work for my daughter and others based on this thread and on the school’s website. Please correct me where I might be wrong.  (It's adapted for someone with experience or credits in education and is interested in the cheapest, quickest route that's feasible and realistic. For us that means lots of FREE CLEP credits using Modern States.

Note: I started putting this together before I realized that you cannot find this info or any other info about it on the website via dropdown links. I followed a direct link (see below) to this page, which is still up, but I suspect won't be up long and that like the others, they are waiting on more info. So nere are some questions below that I don't know/can't find the answer to. The courses and their links on the UMPI page for this degree don't actually go to any course.

UMPI BA Liberal Studies w/ Educational Studies minor
Credit Requirements
·         40cr: General Education
·         21 cr from Core Educational courses
·         56cr: General Electives

This totals 117. I guess there is a 3 credit capstone or cornerstone or something. The Core Courses include upper level so I’m thinking that the minor credits required that are mentioned in this thread come from the list of required core educational courses. ???  

The 30cr residency requirement would be fulfilled with the 21 credits from the Core Educational Courses and 9 more credits including 3 credit capstone or something .

40cr General Ed:
·         6cr: UMPI
·         10cr: PLA
·         24cr: CLEP

21cr Educational Minor Core Courses required (3cr each):
·         EDU 152: Intro to Education
·         EDU 153: Foundations of Education
·         EDU 210: Introduction to Pedagogy
·         EDU 302: Teaching & Learning in a Proficiency-Based System
·         EDU 305: Designing and Maintaining Effective Learning Environments
·         EDU 357: Children’s Literature
·         EDU 378: Creativity in the Classroom

56cr General  Electives
·         56cr: CLEP

3cr Requirement:
·         3cr: UMPI (Perhaps it’s a cornerstone or capstone)

Cost:
3 sessions @$1400 per 8-week session = $4200 in 24 weeks

Each course listed above lists a duration of 8 weeks, self-paced. But there is a note stating that time to complete varies by student.
Session One: 12 credits (6 core and 6 easy, e.g. Gen'l Ed)
Session Two: 9 credits (6 core and 3 easy, e.g. capstone)
Sesson Three: 9 credits (9 core)
(3 sessions = 24 weeks)

Hope this makes sense!
Daughter 1: Completed: TESU BALS (CLEP, ALEKS, CollegePlus)
Daughter 2: Working on: TESU BA-LSSS
CLEP: 51 credits (Eng Comp Modular, Intro Soc, History of US I & II, Human Growth and Dev, Intro to Educational Psych, Social Sci and History, Western Civ I, Analyzing and Inter Lit, Prin of Marketing, Prin of Mgmt, French I & II)
Upcoming CLEPs: Colllege Math, Biology, Prin of Macroeconomics, Spanish I, Amer Govt
Planning to take/do: SDC, DSST
Me: UPenn BA Sociology (Many years ago, '89, and much debt at the time), Looking into debt-free distance MBA or other Master's
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsBulletPoints's post:
  • Pikachu
(12-06-2018, 10:03 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 09:26 PM)FilMor Wrote: Any further information about this UMPI’s YourPace program?

How many transfer credits do they take in total? How's the residency requirement? How are courses conducted? How long is a semester?

Those are the important questions. I couldn't find the answers from searching the site.

(09-08-2019, 11:29 PM)gams007 Wrote: This is simple just contact the school by phone and ask all this questions so we will be aware is this going to be the next BiG 4..

(09-08-2019, 11:41 PM)natshar Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 11:37 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: FYI: Even know its says no limit on credit transfer, when you dig deeper into ACE and other credits (non RA,NA), it says the limit is 30 credits. https://www.umpi.edu/academics/prior-lea...-it-works/
Meaning anything transferred from ACE will count as Prior Learning Assessment. I am hoping I am wrong, but doubt the school would let someone transfer 90 or more credits from alternative sources like ACE.

But it looks like this doesn't include CLEP, DSST, AP and challenge exams. So just combine 30 ACE credits with a bunch of exams.

Here's some answers to various questions that have been asked. (I dug around on the website and I called today. Nice helpful folks.)

Some of these questions have already been answered throughout the thread, but I will repeat here to confirm or clarify and to get all the answers in one spot:

How many credit hours can I transfer in?
As many as you want, however, only 30 PLA credits.

What constitutes a PLA credit?
ACE, CLEP, DSST & Militart, AP, proficiency exams and portfolio assessments are all PLA credits.
The way I understand it, anything that doesn’t get transferred in via an accredited school would likely fall in this category.  SDC and Straighterline and such would come in as ACE credit so they would be in this 30 credit max group.  (I will have to edit my post above.)
For more info see this page: UMPI Prior Learning

What happened to the ______________ minor?
The Educational Studies minor is not offered this session, but should be by the summer and maybe as early as March. For your specific interest, just call.

Is there a residency waiver fee? Is tuition really only $1400?
There is no residency waiver fee and tuition is a flat $1400 per session. A session is 8-weeks.  

Should it be added to the Big Three?
One of the things that sets the Big Three apart is the ability to transfer in a lot of all sorts of credits.  Unfortunately, you are limited in what you can transfer in at UMPI. So it can't be a Big Three like that. However, if what you mean by Big Three is that you can transfer in 120 earned-at-a-school credit hours. Well then, yes, it would fit a category like.

So practically, what does this mean?
It is not the best option for those who have a lot of credit through CLEP or SDC or ACE, etc.  For those going the cheapest and quickest route -- taking lots of CLEP exams which are FREE -- this is not the best option. 

However, for those who have a stockpile of credits from various community colleges and universities, this could be a GREAT option. You would only need to complete the courses related to the minor you are pursuing, if any, and whatever Gen Eds you are lacking, if any.

Here’s a possible scenario. You have:
  • 63 earned credits from various colleges.
  • 24 CLEP credits
  • 6 credits from SDC
You would only need 27 more to reach 120 credit hours. More than likely these are what you would need for the minor. If you take 3 courses @ 3 credit hours each per session, it would take you 3 sessions @ $1400/session to complete for a total cost of $4200.

If, for some reason, these sessions weren’t all back to back but spread over more than 12 months, no problem, you wouldn’t have to worry about a residency fee like you would at TESU. It's still the same flat tuition.

Hopefully, this covers all the questions that were asked throughout the thread. It helped me to write it to get it all clear in my head.
Daughter 1: Completed: TESU BALS (CLEP, ALEKS, CollegePlus)
Daughter 2: Working on: TESU BA-LSSS
CLEP: 51 credits (Eng Comp Modular, Intro Soc, History of US I & II, Human Growth and Dev, Intro to Educational Psych, Social Sci and History, Western Civ I, Analyzing and Inter Lit, Prin of Marketing, Prin of Mgmt, French I & II)
Upcoming CLEPs: Colllege Math, Biology, Prin of Macroeconomics, Spanish I, Amer Govt
Planning to take/do: SDC, DSST
Me: UPenn BA Sociology (Many years ago, '89, and much debt at the time), Looking into debt-free distance MBA or other Master's
(11-25-2019, 10:55 PM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 10:03 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 09:26 PM)FilMor Wrote: Any further information about this UMPI’s YourPace program?

How many transfer credits do they take in total? How's the residency requirement? How are courses conducted? How long is a semester?

Those are the important questions. I couldn't find the answers from searching the site.

(09-08-2019, 11:29 PM)gams007 Wrote: This is simple just contact the school by phone and ask all this questions so we will be aware is this going to be the next BiG 4..

(09-08-2019, 11:41 PM)natshar Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 11:37 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: FYI: Even know its says no limit on credit transfer, when you dig deeper into ACE and other credits (non RA,NA), it says the limit is 30 credits. https://www.umpi.edu/academics/prior-lea...-it-works/
Meaning anything transferred from ACE will count as Prior Learning Assessment. I am hoping I am wrong, but doubt the school would let someone transfer 90 or more credits from alternative sources like ACE.

But it looks like this doesn't include CLEP, DSST, AP and challenge exams. So just combine 30 ACE credits with a bunch of exams.

Here's some answers to various questions that have been asked. (I dug around on the website and I called today. Nice helpful folks.)

Some of these questions have already been answered throughout the thread, but I will repeat here to confirm or clarify and to get all the answers in one spot:

How many credit hours can I transfer in?
As many as you want, however, only 30 PLA credits.

What constitutes a PLA credit?
ACE, CLEP, DSST & Militart, AP, proficiency exams and portfolio assessments are all PLA credits.
The way I understand it, anything that doesn’t get transferred in via an accredited school would likely fall in this category.  SDC and Straighterline and such would come in as ACE credit so they would be in this 30 credit max group.  (I will have to edit my post above.)
For more info see this page: UMPI Prior Learning

What happened to the ______________ minor?
The Educational Studies minor is not offered this session, but should be by the summer and maybe as early as March. For your specific interest, just call.

Is there a residency fee? Is tuition really only $1400?
There is no residency fee and tuition is a flat $1400 per session. A session is 8-weeks.  

Should it be added to the Big Three?
One of the things that sets the Big Three apart is the ability to transfer in a lot of all sorts of credits.  Unfortunately, you are limited in what you can transfer in at UMPI. So it can't be a Big Three like that. However, if what you mean by Big Three is that you can transfer in 120 earned-at-a-school credit hours. Well then, yes, it would fit a category like.

So practically, what does this mean?
It is not the best option for those who have a lot of credit through CLEP or SDC or ACE, etc.  For those going the cheapest and quickest route -- taking lots of CLEP exams which are FREE -- this is not the best option. 

However, for those who have a stockpile of credits from various community colleges and universities, this could be a GREAT option. You would only need to complete the courses related to the minor you are pursuing, if any, and whatever Gen Eds you are lacking, if any.

Here’s a possible scenario. You have:
  • 63 earned credits from various colleges.
  • 24 CLEP credits
  • 6 credits from SDC
You would only need 27 more to reach 120 credit hours. More than likely these are what you would need for the minor. If you take 3 courses @ 3 credit hours each per session, it would take you 3 sessions @ $1400/session to complete for a total cost of $4200.

If, for some reason, these sessions weren’t all back to back but spread over more than 12 months, no problem, you wouldn’t have to worry about a residency fee like you would at TESU. It's still the same flat tuition.

Hopefully, this covers all the questions that were asked throughout the thread. It helped me to write it to get it all clear in my head.

What makes the Big 3 the Big three is transferring in 114 of 120 credits.  You only need 6 SH from the Big 3. Big Grin   I bet UMPI requires 30 SH from them even after transferring in 120 outside Harvard credits?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Transfer Credits diaosteve 6 979 06-15-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WES or WES + each university transcript Kab 1 542 01-22-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az