Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I take the straighterline college algebra course?
It said intro to algebra isn't needed, but should I still take the college algebra course? To save time and money? I've been out of algebra for awhile and I'd hate to waste time on intro algebra if it's not really needed. I need college algebra for school. Will I be able to complete college algebra course from SL without intro to algebra?
It depends on how math phobic you are. In general, someone who mastered a high school algebra sequence should be able to start at college algebra.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-22-2017, 07:22 PM)davewill Wrote: It depends on how math phobic you are. In general, someone who mastered a high school algebra sequence should be able to start at college algebra.

I'm very math phobic and am constantly putting it off.
I'm very math phobic too. I started College Algebra at SL to try to get it over with quick & easy, and pretty much immediately regretted that decision. The textbook and lessons just didn't help me at all (Granted, I haven't take advantage of the included tutoring.) I've finished 3 other SL courses, then suspended my subscription for a month before finishing Algebra and 1 other course. In the meantime I've been going through ALEKS (free through ASU at edx.org.) I plan to resubscribe to SL to finish up Algebra and the other course in 1 month as soon as I feel ready. It's too bad ALEKS doesn't qualify for ACE Credit anymore, I'm learning more from it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lismith's post:
  • clep4gainut
Youtube videos and this book (I got the previous edition) help me out a lot when I took the CLEP exam.

https://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-C...0071821813

Do a lot of practice quiz. Sometimes I will make my own trinomial equations and solve it using all different methods just for fun. Smile I do love math. Nothing to be scared of. ALEKS actually let you master this course. I like it's format. The thing is, I just took the initial exam and pass it right away.
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019
Khan Academy is free and people seem to enjoy them (for learning only, no credit available through them)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-23-2017, 09:39 PM)lismith Wrote: I'm very math phobic too. I started College Algebra at SL to try to get it over with quick & easy, and pretty much immediately regretted that decision. The textbook and lessons just didn't help me at all (Granted, I haven't take advantage of the included tutoring.) I've finished 3 other SL courses, then suspended my subscription for a month before finishing Algebra and 1 other course. In the meantime I've been going through ALEKS (free through ASU at edx.org.) I plan to resubscribe to SL to finish up Algebra and the other course in 1 month as soon as I feel ready. It's too bad ALEKS doesn't qualify for ACE Credit anymore, I'm learning more from it.

Is the course at edx everything that is needed to know for college algebra on SL? I may just do that then run through SL course
I wouldn't waste time using other resources on the SL course, it's straightforward for most SL courses. You just need over 70%.
Just plow through it and only use the recommended resources if you are "stuck" and don't know the steps to do the calculations.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-24-2017, 01:16 PM)insaniak Wrote: Is the course at edx everything that is needed to know for college algebra on SL? I may just do that then run through SL course

I think ALEKS covers more than SL. https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/course...colalgebra

I like ALEKS timeline and pie charts that show progress, and I'm not so overwhelming because it goes through one concept at a time and won't let you get in over your head. The first thing you do is take an assessment exam. I like this too because you don't have to go through things you already know.

If you go through the ALEKS site you have to pay a subscription fee ($20 a month I think?) If you sign up for ASU College Algebra at http://www.edx.org it links to ALEKS and it's free.  I was happy to stumble across a way to get this free.  Big Grin  

I've used Khan too and it's good, but I get bored with watching the videos.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lismith's post:
  • ISKBizz15
Aright so based of what is said here I should just do the SL course for college algebra? Even if I don't have a good background in intermediate background? I did the aleks knowledge placement exam and it basically said I better review concepts I should know before I start college algebra.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,610 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,241 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,862 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 365 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM