Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey: BA in English from TESU
I feel that it will be relatively fast to pick up an English degree while I'm doing my other degree, and I really want an English degree.

The only courses I have so far are Eng Comp I & II and a LL "Special Topics in Lit" which was from Shmoop.

My plans are: the 5 UL Lit courses at Shmoop, the cheapest Non-Western Lit course I can find, A&I Lit CLEP, American Lit CLEP, and English Lit CLEP. The CLEPs are worth 6 credits each.

I plan to do 2 of the CLEPs this year (at the same time), before enrolled in the degree, because the rest will be 24 new credits. I would like to start Non-Western Lit beforehand too, but I cannot unless I get a loan, which I don't think I can get yet.

The cheapest Non-Western Lit seems to be the BYU-IS course, which I believe I can be started at any time, and finished as quickly as one wants.

I think I will also do Advanced Technical Writing at Study.com, but I wish I could pay them for only 1 course instead of 2. I don't need this course, but I'd like to have something (besides Eng Comp I & II) that's a writing course. It is tough budget-wise for me, so this is not a certainty.

I think that I might be able to do all the Shmoop courses in 1 month, but I would probably want to do at least 1 or 2 extras, so I may split Shmoop over two months. 

When I previously had a Shmoop membership, I had started 2 or 3 Lit courses that I did not finish. So I know how they are. I find them to be frustrating because I feel like even if you've read the material 3 times, you might not be able to figure out what they are looking for in the question. However, I want the English degree and I want it cheap Smile

Edit: I would like to find a school that offers a Non-Western Lit course and also Discrete Math, so I don't have as many transcripts and loans.

Edited to add: I am interested in doing PLA (through LearningCounts) for the Non-Western course, but it seems kind of risky. I think it would be fun because I'd have some leeway to choose writing topics and books. If my scheduling wasn't so tight, I would probably try it, because I think it would save money too. I might try it, but I am probably better off doing a course. (Someday I want to PLA something! Maybe in 2019.)

Unless I'm mistaken, TESU only allows students to get two baccalaureate degrees, so you may want to check with them before starting this plan.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
(11-10-2017, 12:58 PM)Thorne Wrote: Unless I'm mistaken, TESU only allows students to get two  baccalaureate degrees, so you may want to check with them before starting this plan.

I checked with them, but I should probably double check. 

However, it makes perfect sense to me. As far as I can tell, in my case, my "second" and "third" degrees would be considered a double major for a second degree, so there is no third degree. I believe this is only possible when the degree types match - these are both BA degrees.

From https://blog.tesu.edu/the-secret-to-earn...ond-degree:

Quote:Two Areas of Study Within One Degree

Similar to declaring a double major, you are able to pursue a second area of study within your degree program. For example, you can complete Bachelor of Arts in History and a Bachelor of Arts in English – you would only need to complete the Area of Study requirements as outlined in the program’s credit distribution guide – because your general education requirements would remain the same (as opposed to pursuing a second degree, where you would need to fulfill another set of general education requirements). No more than 9 credits that are used in the first area of study may be used for the second area of study. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met at the same time. To pursue this, all you have to do is contact your academic advisor, and it will be added to your degree plan.

With a little bit of luck, I'll be taking the 2 CLEPs in a few days.

I really want to do the Study.com course, but I'll need to work extra to afford it. I will have to find the time.

I think it would be fun to take the Intro to News Reporting TECEP, but I probably don't have time. Maybe I can take it for fun after I graduate.

I'm on the English degree path too! I have been teaching English lit and composition to homeschoolers for years so I think I have a fairly good grasp of the material.

I will be on winter break from my homeschool teaching duties after next week, so I hope after that to go ahead and knock out the A&I Lit CLEP and the Technical Writing TECEP to enroll at TESU. I also want to take the American Lit CLEP before starting my Shmoop subscription and working on those.

Please post back your experience with the CLEPs!
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • Ideas
(11-11-2017, 05:54 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Please post back your experience with the CLEPs!

If you have a halfway decent grasp of English and reading, you'll have no problems with the A&I Lit CLEP. Can't speak for the others.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • originalamyj
Yeah, A&I Lit will be no problem. The English Lit CLEP is around 50-60% Analyzing and Interpreting, so I know I'll be fine. Just have to memorize some more authors, titles, and major characters. American Lit is not hard either. I haven't taken them yet, but I took practice exams Smile

I can second the A&I and American Lit Cleps.  You could very likely walk in and take the A&I Clep cold and do fairly well.  American Lit wasn't quite as easy.  Yeah there are a few A&I questions here and there, but there is also a lot of info (authors and works, etc) that you just have to memorize.  But, it's still not too bad.  I took it earlier this year, and devoted about ten days of casual study, and did just fine.

On another note, I just had an advising appointment today, and asked about the BYU course: Chinese Literature in Translation - Poetry.  I should hear back soon as to how it transfers in.  Once it's confirmed (or not) I'll be sure to let you know.  I know that the nonwestern lit has been a hiccup for a lot of folks here, including myself (English/ History dual-concentration).
[-] The following 1 user Likes robbalobba's post:
  • Ideas
Robbalobba, looking forward to hearing what they say about that Chinese Lit class!

Right now I’m working through the Modern States material on A&I and then American so hopefully I can get vouchers. I don’t need to take English Lit because I took that years ago. I think these are the only two CLEPs I have planned.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Hey hey!

BYU's Chinese Literature in Translation - Poetry, is officially on my degree plan. CHI 360 is confirmed to both fulfill the nonwestern literature requirement AND serve as an upper-level course! And, frankly, it looks super interesting. I hope this helps!
[-] The following 2 users Like robbalobba's post:
  • davewill, Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,978 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch