Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD IT, $383 PCH, Bachelors entry, thoughts!?
Hey guys, so I was browsing around and found this program. My ultimate goal is to do a PhD, so I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this program:

http://ualr.edu/online/programs/cis/

the tuition is reasonable, and all they require is "a bachelors degree from a regionally accredited institution" do you guys think my BALS will cut it!? [Image: biggrin.png] I'm a little worried about the on campus requirements though, but a PhD at $383 per credit is ludacris, unless I missed something.

I was also looking at this program:

http://gradweb.ucumberlands.edu/informat...admissions

All they require is a masters degree, no specifics, think a Patten MBA will suffice!?

At $500 PCH and regionally accredited, suddenly the Aspen DSc in Computer Science isn't looking all that lucrative.

Generally, anyone know any PhD programs with bachelors level entry, online?

Hmm also bachelors entry:

http://dsu.edu/admissions/financial-aid-...n-and-fees
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 2 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • lucillegyl, mysonx3
Wow. Very cheap.

I like your thinking too. I would love to skip the Masters but... then it would take a while before I had more than a Bachelor's. Still could be worth it. I don't think I would do CIS/IT.

Any RA Bachelor's probably will suffice, so yes.

For the other, any RA Masters probably will suffice.

Hmm..I think I will make my choice after I sign up for the Patten MBA in IT and see how that goes, but still if the goal is a PhD..It would be nice to work on it asap. I see Walden also allows you to do a PhD with a bachelors...but it's expensive...and requires a related field...sigh..
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

How soon would you start at Patten?

I find it so hard to decide. Since a doctoral degree has so many credits, the tuition per credit matters so much more than for a Masters Sad

I have the same issue as you too, that some programs I'm interested in need a Masters in a related field. Another that I'm interested in is OK with any Masters, but costs so much.

I would probably prefer one that didn't require any Masters. I'm still looking.

Well I'm hoping to start by January 2019. Since the government paid for my local B&M credits, I had to reimburse all the costs to get it transferred to TESU and that was money I was saving for my residency requirement fees and Patten to start in September this year. So I'm hoping to take Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr 2019 and finish Patten and start a PhD in fall 2019, so even if I need two terms I'll still have enough time.

I will still have time even if it's terrible. As we speak I'm doing Shmoop professional writing for my final UL, then it's on to SL to finish Microeconomics and C++. After that only the capstone. I was planning on doing Saylor Software Engineering and Microeconomics but the structure is horrible! After I finish those and wait to finish the Capstone (might start in May or August depending on time and funds), I'll start studying for the GRE, it seems important for the bachelors to PhD programs or most of the PhD programs I'm interested in.

Yeah the tuition is a lot. I was considering Patten then Aspen because of the monthly payment, I think it's the fastest, cheapest most convenient route to a PhD for an online student. Though I guess with a Nations MTS which is free for me Aspen may accept me. The thing is after I finish my BALS I'll get a pay increase so hopefully that will help a little. It's hard to find a balance between what you want to do and what you can do.

It seems for B&M schools, it's easy to get a PhD for almost free...

You should consider Patten, it's insane a masters is fast and cheap at the same time, usually you must choose fast or cheap. I'm worried they may close though. My exposure to online schools din't start too well, I was enrolled in the Cleveland Institute of Electronics, doing an AAS in Software Engineering and halfway though my program they lost accreditation. Since then schools like Patten have me worried, so I want to start and finish Patten ASAP. Even Aspen has me a bit worried, I wonder how good they'll do...

I was also thinking of doing the Harvard extension school masters in software engineering...2700 a course dosent seem that bad compared to some of the prices of doing a doctorate...idk..
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

Oh ok, because I was hoping you'd start Patten before me, so I could learn more, and decide if I want to do it.

I think I've decided to get away from business and tech for my career (besides finishing my BA-CS, that is a personal goal, and I want the BA-Eng but can't do it without BA-CS). So if I did an MBA it would only be for checking a box quickly and cheaply. I do really find business easy and enjoyable, so it's especially quick for me. I feel having a BSBA means it's easier too.

Good luck with your final courses! I think I'll be starting SL C++ on Monday or soon after.

Hm, I don't know anything about Aspen. I'll have to look them up. Hodges just stopped their compentency program, but anyone who was already enrolled is allowed to finish. And they even gave about a month for new people to enroll.

At Patten, I'm afraid of not finishing in 4 months due to things in my life, then I would have been better going to WGU. Also I like how WGU has more known about it, and more successful graduates.

But I am thinking of doing a different Masters for my career instead, an Education one. I will see if I find any doctorate degrees that I like which are affordable. The one I like so far is over $50,000.

PhD almost for free? I haven't heard of this.

a PhD in Information Technology ??

what's the point ?

unless maybe you want to teach and a PhD is a requirement

but if you want to work a PhD is completely useless

a Masters with one years's experience vs a PhD with no experience is a no brainer for a recruiter or HR -- they'll take the Masters with experience every single time

> suddenly the Aspen DSc in Computer Science isn't looking all that lucrative.

no doctorate in Information Technology is going to be lucrative

you could do a BS and MS at WGU and get a year of experience in the time it would take you to complete a PhD

that would be way more lucrative
(03-02-2018, 03:10 AM)bluebooger Wrote: what's the point ? 

I believe it's a personal goal of his primarily. But if someone is doing it, why not do something in their field, that may help.

@Ideas I totally understand the importance of doing an education based degree, it's a shame I cant do WGU because it's ideal, but they don't accept international. Hodges program was a consideration for me until they stopped it, if only I had discovered this forum sooner in life. Apsen general has positive reviews, a DSc from Aspen wont turn any heads, but it will help me fulfil my goals with affordable monthly payments. 

At Patten I'm taking 6 months vacation so that I can dedicate day and night to finishing, the MBA would also give me a spike in salary. 

Yeah, I'm so close to finishing I can almost taste it!  Tongue Big Grin   

Yeah, concerning PhD costs well locally at least doing a B & M degree it is almost free to pursue, because you teach classes and help the prof with his research and get a stipend for it, so they pay you. I only looked at science and tech based programs, so can't say for the others. Searching "PhD stipend"  in google yields a lot of results, so I guess on campus PhD's in the US have a similar structure. The "almost" would be your living expenses you have to consider dropping everything and working with a prof. 

@bluebooger There are two main reasons I want to do a PhD. I hate people who only look at a degree as a piece of paper to get a job, that mentality is the reason my generation of millennials see so much problems to find work. Getting an education is more than getting a piece of paper to get a job, and getting a PhD is not about getting a job. I think that people should try to find work after they graduate from high school, work on college part time while working, then according to their personal education or career goals consider higher education. And don't start on how hard it is to find a job after high school, when you come from a small country like mine with 1.3 mil people and very little jobs and high prices, you understand the importance of doing a job, any job. What wrong with working in the trades, retail or private security? Based on what I've been reading jobs in tech like networking, digital marketing, programming, web development etc had a lot of cheap or free resources to learn. Look at freecodecamp and all the moocs available. Work for non-profits, some people take internships anyway, go to community college, do any job while getting your education. There are also places you can freelance in the field you are interested in.

So to understand the point here is my background. 

It is possible because in my case when I finished high school I got a job as an electrician because I had been learning electronics on my own from the internet since I was like 8, I then worked in private security firm that had a contract with a local hospital, and was charging very little to fix computers and help with networking.  Eventually I got to the point where I was helping businesses set up their computing systems and writing very simple low cost programs for them to do things like payroll and inventroy.

Doing this I met a lot of people and networked like crazy, and was able to land a job as a systems technologist repairing and helping design medical equipment as well as doing software work with a small company called Trius Medical that has branches locally and a branch in Florida. Working in the hospital allowed me to get that job because they wanted someone with experience in a healthcare environment, and I had that and whilst the positing required a degree, my unique knowledge of electronics, electrical installation and software development allowed me to take the palce of three employees they just lost! So it was a steal for them, it was a nice job and my boss was very good to me, I worked hard and he treated me like family.

But whist working there I kept networking and going to events, then they hired a contractor to help them work on setting up ebay and amazon stores etc cause I had to much on my place to focus on that only. I met the owner and she offered me a job as a software engineering consultant.

Doing all these things allowed me to get a job with the police service which my security background helped a lot with. Now during this time I was doing probably one or two courses a semester and when I joined the police service my time got to be almost non-existant. So I couldn't finish. I however kept studying on my own with all the free resources available.

Why do a PhD in IT.

Point 1: Personal Goals

To study what I love and contribute back into my field, IT, Info. Systems or computer science are fields that I like, I already read very advanced books on the field, and would like to give back to the community. 

Point 2: Career

For my job despite having the experience, to go into the unit I am desirous of going, I need a degree and the BALS will give me that as well as a pay increase, so I started it last year and will finish this year hopefully. A PhD in IT would allow me to not only get a pay increase but would allow me to be qualified enough to run a department as well as move up in rank much quicker. Each degree I get thanks to standing orders would give me a salary increase. 

I also started a side thing writing technical books as a sort of sideline, and got Apress to publish my first title:

https://www.apress.com/gp/book/9781484232729

I love studying and reading and writing about technology and helping beginners get their feet wet because I know what it's like to need help and guidance. I have tons more books lined up I would like to write and having a PhD in IT or Comp Sci would really help my bio and knowledge to be more lucrative to publishers and would lead to probably colleges adopting books I have planned to write. For me it would do a lot. 

Point 3: Charity

I work with a local non-profit doing software and web work for them, the more I learn, the more I can contribute to people who are making a change in people's life.

Point 4: Migration

If I continue on my career path, I can live fairly comfortable and be a big fish in a little pond. However my country is dependent on oil and gas, and I see the economy going down. So I plan to migrate to the US and do my dream job as a Field Applications Engineer at Microchip Technology or TI. I really love that line of work. However as I was told it would be easier to get a job in software, then study the ABET program in electrical engineering necessary for that position. Here is that thread:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ing+choice

I won't call a PhD to work useless, it would help with my getting an H1B. I have no connections to the US. An H1B is the way I will get into the US. A PhD will qualify as an "advanced degree" and hopefully I can get sponsorship from a company. 

Point 5: Self-Actualization

Essentially a PhD would help me attain self-actualization. I'm 25 and have been though a lot. Finishing a PhD by 30 is my goal. 

Point 6:

When I was younger I always wanted to be a doctor or a scientist. Being able to be called doctor is enough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really wish I could do WGU unfortunality I can't because WGU decided international student's aren't worthy enough. It's a sham that even Harvard has a facility for international students and WGU that claims it want's to help people is for US only and certain parts of Canada. 

It may not be lucrative to you, but to me it means self-actualization. I think if someone thinks a program is lucrative or not is subjective.
So making that generalized statement "no doctorate in information technology is lucrative' isn't right, I expect someone on an education forum above all else would understand that. If you have a degree then I seriously think you need to think about what you learned in your social science and psychology classes. Except for it you're UK then you are excused cause their degrees only focus on the area they are studying.  Big Grin
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

At traditional universities in the U.S., admitting students to PhD programs with a bachelor's degree is quite normal. One may or may not earn a master's along the way--often at the option of the student.

At British unis, one is often admitted at the master's level (an MPhil) initially. One can later apply to have one's admission upgraded to the PhD level, usually after having done a successful thesis proposal. If the student is not admitted to the PhD, an MPhil is awarded instead.

It has been my experience that nontraditional US schools almost always require a master's before being admitted to the PhD. However, such things are always subject to discussion and waiver.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sagan's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,055 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,041 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Anyone Done/Thoughts Online Masters In ITM or IT (Coursera) From IIT sam98 5 1,062 09-22-2023, 01:57 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,840 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest RA CS/IT graduate program that accepts my UoPeople CS Bachelors? mastersDegreeDecision 7 1,582 03-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  Thoughts and Opinions on PhD in Bible Exposition from Liberty University isaachunter 18 6,141 08-06-2022, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Accredited Online Masters (and Bachelors) Degrees Under $2000 Sdmj33 1 1,732 12-12-2020, 05:12 AM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Thoughts on Brandman University natshar 0 878 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Any thoughts on ESERP? JWells247 2 735 08-25-2020, 03:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  US State Licensed & Registered - UK Accredited - Thoughts? bjcheung77 8 2,390 08-10-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster