Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD IT, $383 PCH, Bachelors entry, thoughts!?
(03-02-2018, 09:18 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Help me understand why that is cheap? I thought, like Davewill said, most PhD courses of study are usually linked to a scholarship/research assistant position, which covers all of the tuition and pays you a stipend. I would not pursue a PhD if it wasn't free!

I think Davewill mentioned how they are hard to get. I think for every PhD student getting a position, there are at least 12 who don't? Even if half of PhD students get a position:

Someone like Armstrongsubero cannot take one of those right now, since he lives in another country. Someone like me cannot take one of those since I have medical issues making some kinds of work not possible. 

So if someone is looking for a program to pay for (whether or not they have a loan), they would consider that very cheap for an RA U.S. program. Although I am looking at foreign programs to save money.

Edit: In addition, even if someone lived in this country and didn't have health issues, etc. I think that many people looking to enroll in an IT/CS-related PhD already have a great job in Software Engineering, IT Management, etc. So it makes sense for them to simply pay for the program, since they're earning, say $60-90K a year already. They don't want the assistant position where they basically get free tuition plus a stipend for rent and food. Or same if it's not IT/CS related. They already have a job in the field, usually at the Masters level.

@Ideas yep, it's so cheap I can't believe it, local programs cost about half that, so it would be awesome to get an online RA program for that price. I literally do a module, look at the program and go back to working, it's been a big motivator for me.

I wish I could get a loan, but banks don't lend that amount for education, probably a house.  Half a million dollars is a lot of money.

I know it's a very solid plan someone on here suggested it to me and it makes the most sense. Microchip pays for education, I really want to work for them. Maybe I can get a job with them working on their IDE or website or something, study then branch across to being a FAE.

That also sounds like a good plan, the bachelors to PhD is good and I'll supplement with probably cheap grad certs and I saw Berkley has some professional programs in semi-conductors, and I saw some certs in embedded software as well I want to do.

Why leave the US!? which country you want to go to? The US has a lot of opportunity, well for tech it's where you must be to make it. So many companies to work for Microchip, TI, Intel, Qualcomm, AMD, Nividia, Apple, Microsoft, SpaceX, SolarCity, Tesla etc! And looking at jobs it seems lie they have a lot of jobs for dedicated persons studying engineering, and looking at some of their employees on linkedin, Big Grin  it seems like it's easy to pick up internships which lead to jobs there.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(03-02-2018, 09:23 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: That also sounds like a good plan, the bachelors to PhD is good and I'll supplement with probably cheap grad certs and I saw Berkley has some professional programs in semi-conductors, and I saw some certs in embedded software as well I want to do.

The US has a lot of opportunity, well for tech it's where you must be to make it.

Yeah, I love to think about the future certificates/certifications/etc that I may get. Motivating Smile That's great, I think really specific certificates will help you a lot.

Sure, the expensive program is not going to help much more than the cheap program anyway. I don't know how it works for international people, they probably can't get this, but the federal loans go up to $138,500 for grad/doctoral school.

Oh yeah that makes sense to be in the U.S. for tech. I think I'm not going to do tech myself, I want to go into med/health communication/education, but I also have personal health issues so it's harder to plan. I may have to stay here until I am more established.

I also sent him an email armstrongsubero, there is a new program, the master of information sciences that start fall 2018, the courses are the same beside 1 or 2 and considering there is 12 credits of electives in the Ph.D., it might be possible to complete this along the way.

This would solve the 4 years without a new degree.

There is also a small issue, their course catalog has very few courses available online for the information track (4 in springs, 0 in the summer, if you don't count dissertation and seminar). It might be that their public catalog is not up to date, but this is troubling.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 1 user Likes posabsolute's post:
  • Ideas
@posabsolute I noticed that. It may be a good thing because it means notamy people apply to the program so we may have a better chance of getting through!
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Well, he responded in 1 hour on Saturday at that, a bit more information about this program:

The on-campus program has 3 specialization tracks - Information Science, Information Quality, and Computer Science.
However, only the information science and information quality are offered online.
The information science and information quality tracks accept applicants from all undergraduate backgrounds otherwise qualified.
One of the admission criteria is the GRE. The IQ track will also accept GMAT score in lieu of GRE.

1) We can accept up to 15 hours of graduate-level transfer credit from other accredited colleges and universities. However, there are only 12 hours of electives, so to transfer a full 15 hours some of the transfer courses must be equivalent to one of the program or track core courses. Also, all transfers are subject to approval by your program advisor.

2) All of the courses required to compete the IS and IQ tracks are offered online. For example this semester IFSC 5345, 5360, 7192, 7310, 7321, 7370, and INFQ 7303, 7318, 7337, and 7342 are all offered online. A similar number will be offered next fall. Note, all online courses have sections with a "9U" designation, e.g. INFQ 7303-9U1
You are correct in observing that the lecture courses are not generally offered in the summer term, typically only dissertation hours.

3) Yes you can earn your MS on the way, but it is not automatic. The IS and IQ certificate, master's, and PhD degree are well articulated. For example, by taking the right electives students earning an MS in IQ will have completed all but 3 hours of the lecture courses required for the PhD IQ and only left with dissertation hours to complete. The only diversion in earning the MS along the way to the PhD is that the required 6 hours of MS thesis/project will not count toward the PhD dissertation hours.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
[-] The following 1 user Likes posabsolute's post:
  • Ideas
wow thats awesome!..he dint reply to me though..hmm..guess I'll start studying for the GRE then...

It would be nice to earn a masters along the way...
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

I asked if you could take 2 courses as a non-enrolled student instead of the GRE. I would prefer not having to deal with GRE prep...
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
I think I found a loophole. The graduate cert in IQ needs no GRE or GMAT..for entry into the masters its waived for anyone who did the cert..I guess after that point youcan ask to do the PhD without GRE...and that way you earn qualification every step of the way..providing you do the Information Quality track..which is the track I'm thinking about anyway...
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

How did you get $383/cr? I'm wondering if you're looking at resident tuition or some other special tuition for assistantships, military, etc.

I am seeing more like $800/cr. ($725/cr plus so many per-hour fees). http://ualr.edu/bursar/home/tuitionandfe...itionfees/

I hope I'm wrong though!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,057 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,042 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Anyone Done/Thoughts Online Masters In ITM or IT (Coursera) From IIT sam98 5 1,062 09-22-2023, 01:57 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,841 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest RA CS/IT graduate program that accepts my UoPeople CS Bachelors? mastersDegreeDecision 7 1,583 03-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  Thoughts and Opinions on PhD in Bible Exposition from Liberty University isaachunter 18 6,145 08-06-2022, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Accredited Online Masters (and Bachelors) Degrees Under $2000 Sdmj33 1 1,732 12-12-2020, 05:12 AM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Thoughts on Brandman University natshar 0 878 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Any thoughts on ESERP? JWells247 2 735 08-25-2020, 03:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  US State Licensed & Registered - UK Accredited - Thoughts? bjcheung77 8 2,392 08-10-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster