Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FEMA & FREE College Credit courses
FEMA is offering about 55 classes that you can take online for FREE. Of these approx. 35 are worth college credit. I need to review the process on their website again but once the exam is completed you can have the emailed FEMA certificate sent to a this college that is affiliated with FEMA. Open an account with the college and then have that college forward a transcript to your college. From the courses I saw most should be easily accepted as electives.
Holy schniekies! That's nuts! I was studying for the accounting CLEP since I need five more elective credits, but heck, these are FREE, open book, and accepted at TESC??? My word.

Great post!!!
Look in the moderated Discussion board on the TESC website for more info on which courses are accepted at TESC and which are easy ones to take. Just run a search using FEMA. The college (a real college and accredited) that is associated with FEMA charges a modest fee for their transcript service. The FEMA courses and tests are taken online at HOME. Unfortunately, the courses are only worth 1 credit each. but HECK, for electives requirements, from HOME and for FREE....
Oh, I forgot to mention that most FEMA courses can be knocked out in a day or less!!! Except for the courses dealing topography, they are not so easy......Did I forget to mention that most of these courses are stupid easy.
Frank Wrote:FEMA is offering about 55 classes that you can take online for FREE. Of these approx. 35 are worth college credit. I need to review the process on their website again but once the exam is completed you can have the emailed FEMA certificate sent to a this college that is affiliated with FEMA. Open an account with the college and then have that college forward a transcript to your college. From the courses I saw most should be easily accepted as electives.

[SIZE="3"]Post the website so all of us can review it please........[/SIZE]
Oh yeah, that might be a good idea. Hehe. Found it on Google rather quickly, but here's the link:

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp
Here's some more info that may be germane about the FEMA courses:

http://www.tesc.edu/phorum/read.php?f=7&i=9089&t=9083

http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread....light=fema

Basically, it looks like you can take your courses, then have FEMA send the transcript to TESC. TESC will then record these as CR (credit) just the same as CLEPs and Dantes tests. There are others that can count toward your degree at TESC, but only if they are processed through the other community college. But several (up to 25 some have said), can count straight toward your degree.

I only need five more general elective credits, which I was planning to take via the Accounting CLEP (worth six). But now, I figure I'll just go ahead and take five of these for free rather than shelling out the $70 for the CLEP. Free is better than cheap.
First Of All Thanks For This Posting. Secondly, The Course Materials Required To Study For And Pass Thes Tests Come From Where? Thirdly, Am I To Understand Taht These Course Exams Can Be Completed Onlone Or Via Paper And Sent In ...no Proctoring Needed? Thanks Again!
Does anyone know if Excelsior will take these for credit?
rjc311 Wrote:Does anyone know if Excelsior will take these for credit?

rjc,

Excelsior will not accept the credits in their raw form (direct from FEMA). However, if you get them transcripted by a regionally accredited college, Excelsior will accept the credits for transfer.

Once you have passed the FEMA exams, you can get them translated into actual college credit by paying $65 per credit to Frederick Community College (Maryland).

Somebody also documented their experience with placing the credits in a TESC Credit Banking account for, I think, $250 for upto 60 credits. Excelsior accepted all 30+ of his FEMA credits.

Obviously, it works out cheaper to go through TESC Credit Bank rather than paying $65 per credit at FCC.

The person I am talking about, did this in August of last year. Obviously, you will want to get this confirmed directly by Excelsior before you go and spend $250 for a credit bank account at TESC or pay $65 per credit at FCC.

Anybody who is currently enrolled could get this confirmed by their advisor and then report back here what they find out.

I for one would certainly like to know for sure. I have 12 (raw) FEMA credits under my belt, but am reluctant to pay anything until I get confirmation from Excelsior that they will accept them from a TESC Credit Bank account. However, I am not currently enrolled and so I cannot speak with an advisor.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,533 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,550 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,696 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 367 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM