Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FEMA & FREE College Credit courses
Yeah, it'll be interesting to know what kind of credits these are good for... Any chance of some upper level credit? That would be huge!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
sgloer Wrote:Yeah, it'll be interesting to know what kind of credits these are good for... Any chance of some upper level credit? That would be huge!

I believe that TESC assigns certain of the FEMA course as UL credit...but only a distinct few.

Excelsior assigns all lower level credits.
sgloer Wrote:Yeah, it'll be interesting to know what kind of credits these are good for... Any chance of some upper level credit? That would be huge!

When I called on Friday, the advisor (who said she'd email me a copy of the accepted exams next week) said that they would all be general elective credits (and consequently, are not upper level since upper level is only needed in the area of concentration). At TESC, you typically need about 27 of those, and according to their catalog they accept 1-25 of them, so my assumption is that you can take care of 25 of your 27 general elective credits for FREE. That's what I'm going to try with my wife's degree (I'm her degree advisor ;-)).
So which 25 are possible to UL credit for at TESC?? Can you post a link to where they are???

THanks in advance

RM
ramiller1976us Wrote:So which 25 are possible to UL credit for at TESC?? Can you post a link to where they are???

THanks in advance

RM

It sounded like none would be upper level credit to me. Which makes sense since they're self-administered, open-book exams. It's hard enough to believe that they're worth college credit; I can't imagine them being upper level worthy.

When I get a list of the accepted exams (she said she'd email it to me), I'll post them.
anar579 Wrote:I sent an e-mail to the Excelsior Business Advisement Team, asking if they accept these credits, whether they'll accept TESC credit bank, and how I could apply this to my BS in General Business degree (as a concentration or second degree). I'll post when I get a response.
I got my response from the advisor today, here it is:

[INDENT]Thank you for your message. Excelsior College accepts all FEMA (EMI) courses which come to us on an official transcript from Frederick Community College. These courses are degree level and usually are worth one credit per course. They apply toward degree requirements as Applied Professional Elective credit (you need about 12 credits in this area).

In order to get your FEMA courses listed on an official Frederick Community College (FCC) transcript, you need to complete an application for independent study college credit, which you can download (Adobe PDF) from http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/downloads/ccrdtapp.pdf . The completed application may be mailed or faxed; details are on the form. The list of possible courses for credit can be found at http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/IS/cc.asp . The FCC fee for this is $60 per course (please check, as this fee might have changed since we updated our information).

It will not be necessary to go through Thomas Edison to get credit for the FEMA courses. FYI, enrollment in a credit bank program is not the same thing as enrollment in a degree program. Excelsior also offers a credit bank service, and it is less expensive than being enrolled in a degree program. Students who enroll in a credit bank program do not want to earn a degree; rather, they want to list all of their college-level credit on one document for the purpose of presentation to an employer, graduate school, etc.

I hope this information is helpful, and please contact me again if you have any questions about this information. [/INDENT]

This is basically what we already knew, gotta pay the $60 to FCC.

She mentions these apply to Applied Professional Elective credits, in my case business credits. I would like to know if maybe I can use these to replace an upper level business exam, so I'm asking the advisor if these FEMA courses would be considered Upper or Lower level credit. I'll post when I get a response.
You always are there and I for one appreciate your help!!
RBOWMAN Wrote:You always are there and I for one appreciate your help!!
Hahaha... Thanks! :o But I think all the frequent posters (especially you, RBOWMAN) deserve that title more than I do!
anar579 Wrote:The FCC fee for this is $60 per course (please check, as this fee might have changed since we updated our information).

This is basically what we already knew, gotta pay the $60 to FCC.

She mentions these apply to Applied Professional Elective credits, in my case business credits. I would like to know if maybe I can use these to replace an upper level business exam, so I'm asking the advisor if these FEMA courses would be considered Upper or Lower level credit. I'll post when I get a response.
thank you minister of information! so, am i understanding this correctly, it would cost $180 for 3 credits? if they were upper level credits, i guess i wouldn't care about the cost because it sounds like it's a sure pass. thanks for checking this out.
anar579 Wrote:Hahaha... Thanks! :o But I think all the frequent posters (especially you, RBOWMAN) deserve that title more than I do!

No, I lost the supreme title to Mr. ShotoJuku....AS HE HAS BEEN CROWNED CHAMPION!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,518 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,546 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,660 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 366 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM