Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing one class with the same one?
Is it possible to take a similar class on the same topic and send it to TESU and have it replace a lower level community college class? I'm wondering because if the study.com database management class were to be a UL could I take it to replace the database class I already have which doesn't fit in my AOS as UL or could this study.com class be considered a next level (The class I have was called "Intro to Database Management" which I took as part of a AAS CIS degree at a community college) and either way fit into my AOS as a UL? I know it's all dependent on how this will go over to TESU. I'm just wondering if they allow you to take something similar and have it be a UL. Still trying to find more CIS UL and I do like the database stuff, so at least it would be interesting.
(05-14-2018, 03:44 PM)fork Wrote: Is it possible to take a similar class on the same topic and send it to TESU and have it replace a lower level community college class? I'm wondering because if the study.com database management class were to be a UL could I take it to replace the database class I already have which doesn't fit in my AOS as UL or could this study.com class be considered a next level (The class I have was called "Intro to Database Management" which I took as part of a AAS CIS degree at a community college) and either way fit into my AOS as a UL? I know it's all dependent on how this will go over to TESU. I'm just wondering if they allow you to take something similar and have it be a UL. Still trying to find more CIS UL and I do like the database stuff, so at least it would be interesting.

In general, there is no reason to take the same course twice. Though just because they have the same name (or a similar name) doesn't mean they will be evaluated as the same course.

If they evaluate to the same course, then you'd end up losing time and money since the evaluation won't change.
If they evaluate to different courses, then you'll get the benefit of both.

So, in this case, it depends on how TESU evaluates your existing coursework and what equivalency the Intro to DB management course comes in as.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-14-2018, 03:50 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 03:44 PM)fork Wrote: Is it possible to take a similar class on the same topic and send it to TESU and have it replace a lower level community college class? I'm wondering because if the study.com database management class were to be a UL could I take it to replace the database class I already have which doesn't fit in my AOS as UL or could this study.com class be considered a next level (The class I have was called "Intro to Database Management" which I took as part of a AAS CIS degree at a community college) and either way fit into my AOS as a UL? I know it's all dependent on how this will go over to TESU. I'm just wondering if they allow you to take something similar and have it be a UL. Still trying to find more CIS UL and I do like the database stuff, so at least it would be interesting.

In general, there is no reason to take the same course twice. Though just because they have the same name (or a similar name) doesn't mean they will be evaluated as the same course.

If they evaluate to the same course, then you'd end up losing time and money since the evaluation won't change.

So, in this case, it depends on how TESU evaluates your existing coursework and what equivalency the Intro to DB management course comes in as.

It came in as CIS 211 and they put it in general education electives. Also I'm not sure what else I can take, I have so many CIS classes from the AAS degree. I just need to find 1 more UL CIS class (provided I can finish the TEEX classes on time or if they continue with their ACE recommendation after the end of the month)
(05-14-2018, 03:55 PM)fork Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 03:50 PM)Merlin Wrote:

It came in as CIS 211 and they put it in general education electives. Also I'm not sure what else I can take, I have so many CIS classes from the AAS degree. I just need to find 1 more UL CIS class (provided I can finish the TEEX classes on time or if they continue with their ACE recommendation after the end of the month)

If your existing database course came in as CIS-211 then the Study.com version will supplement it since it comes in as CIS-311, which sounds like it would work for you since it is an UL CIS course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • fork
You just need to find an UL course to put in the AOS. It doesn't actually "replace" it so much as it goes in the AOS, and then any extra LL courses in the AOS get bumped to another area. You won't even know which course they'll move out, unless you specifically request that (they all end up on your transcript, BTW, so it's not really important).

And, it does make sense to retake a course, for instance, if you already have MAT-105, but you need a quick TECEP to maintain enrollment, and Applied Math is the easiest one for you to take and pass - I say take the TECEP. You'll end up with a duplicate course, but so what.

Last thing - yes, you can take an UL and LL course that are similar. I actually recommend it for people, as it's called "overlap" and makes it much easier to study for both (killing 2 birds with 1 stone). For example, if you like history, take HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction and HIS 306: The American Civil War Era. Why wouldn't you???
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-14-2018, 06:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: And, it does make sense to retake a course, for instance, if you already have MAT-105, but you need a quick TECEP to maintain enrollment, and Applied Math is the easiest one for you to take and pass - I say take the TECEP.  You'll end up with a duplicate course, but so what.

Obviously there are always exceptions, but in that case, I'd recommend paying the $70 catalog extension fee over signing up for a $117 TECEP. Of course, if you need to take a TECEP for initial enrollment then that is another story. Even then, I'd still look for a TECEP to take that is passable but still earns credit before retaking a course that I've already completed. Otherwise, it would feel like a waste of time and money.

As it happens, assuming TESU doesn't introduce any major changes to invalidate my plans in the next month or two, I am planning to take the Applied Math TECEP myself, but mostly as an easy 3 credits to enroll officially since I don't have any conflicting math credits.

(05-14-2018, 06:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Last thing - yes, you can take an UL and LL course that are similar.  I actually recommend it for people, as it's called "overlap" and makes it much easier to study for both (killing 2 birds with 1 stone).  For example, if you like history, take HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction and HIS 306: The American Civil War Era.  Why wouldn't you???

This is great advice! I have tried to do this in my course plan where possible and have recommended that others do it as well.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(05-14-2018, 07:26 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 06:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: And, it does make sense to retake a course, for instance, if you already have MAT-105, but you need a quick TECEP to maintain enrollment, and Applied Math is the easiest one for you to take and pass - I say take the TECEP.  You'll end up with a duplicate course, but so what.

Obviously there are always exceptions, but in that case, I'd recommend paying the $70 catalog extension fee over signing up for a $117 TECEP. Of course, if you need to take a TECEP for initial enrollment then that is another story. Even then, I'd still look for a TECEP to take that is passable but still earns credit before retaking a course that I've already completed. Otherwise, it would feel like a waste of time and money.

I have the 2014 catalog, and I get residency from taking TECEP's, so in my case, I had to take them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Class Expiring smarterby1degree 0 530 02-27-2023, 12:21 PM
Last Post: smarterby1degree
  Sophia class order faptaincrunch 5 877 01-06-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 700 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  What happens if you drop a class in Sophia? Insert Name 18 8,690 12-13-2022, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  Easiest LL & UL Class on Study.com dragonwolf 13 3,474 07-21-2022, 01:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Computer class question TwinMom 5 1,316 05-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia.org public speaking class opinions? Fibrazer 5 2,735 03-11-2021, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Fibrazer
  I would like to have some tutoring to pass this SL BIO 101 class Stoic 3 858 09-26-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  TESU Historical Methods Class Alternative tls7291 3 807 06-24-2020, 01:08 PM
Last Post: tls7291
  Sophia class TwinMom 4 1,223 04-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: MNomadic