Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political Leanings by Occupation and Industry
I accidentally came across this webpage today. The top portion shows the political leanings of various occupations, and the bottom portion shows political leanings by broader job types. The charts are based on FEC data of campaign contributions. 

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(07-13-2018, 10:31 AM)sanantone Wrote: I accidentally came across this webpage today. The top portion shows the political leanings of various occupations, and the bottom portion shows political leanings by broader job types. The charts are based on FEC data of campaign contributions. 

Very cool chart - thank you for sharing. Union organizers seem to be like 99.9% Democrat. It’s fun seeing the difference between a taxi and a truck driver being on opposite sides =)
(07-13-2018, 11:53 AM)acamp Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 10:31 AM)sanantone Wrote: I accidentally came across this webpage today. The top portion shows the political leanings of various occupations, and the bottom portion shows political leanings by broader job types. The charts are based on FEC data of campaign contributions. 

Very cool chart - thank you for sharing.  Union organizers seem to be like 99.9% Democrat.   It’s fun seeing the difference between a taxi and a truck driver being on opposite sides =)

I found the comparison between bus drivers and school bus drivers to be the most interesting since they do similar jobs, and I used to be a transit bus driver. There are, however, some notable differences. Metropolitan bus driving is a blue collar occupation that is largely found in public organizations. So, unions are going to be common. Most school bus drivers are part-time employees, and most appear to be retirees and stay-at-home moms.

The thing that shocked me was the huge difference in pay between VIA (San Antonio) and CapMetro (Austin) bus drivers. VIA bus drivers now make $17.81 an hour to start while CapMetro bus drivers made around $13 an hour to start the last time I checked, and Austin has a much higher cost of living. Then, I found out that many of CapMetro's bus drivers don't work for CapMetro; they work for a for-profit company CapMetro contracts with. There's also a huge difference in pay between unionized, government corrections officers and private corrections officers. Many people are surprised by the almost 50/50 split in law enforcement, but I'm not. I understand why almost half prefer pro-union candidates.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Catholic priests are something like 75% Republican. Meanwhile, 44% of Catholics are Democrats - vs. 37% Republican. Time to get some new priests.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-leanings/
(07-13-2018, 12:25 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Catholic priests are something like 75% Republican.  Meanwhile, 44% of Catholics are Democrats - vs. 37% Republican.  Time to get some new priests.

I've noticed the big disconnect between the Catholic Church and its parishioners. Compare the wealth of the Vatican to how hundreds of millions of Catholics live. Catholic laity also don't put as much importance on social issues.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(07-13-2018, 12:25 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Catholic priests are something like 75% Republican.  Meanwhile, 44% of Catholics are Democrats - vs. 37% Republican.  Time to get some new priests.

Some people don't care what political leanings their priest has.

But I will say, I would guess that priests see a lot of things that many "regular" people don't, and it may affect the way they think politically (I would guess that they don't start out republican necessarily).  Maybe they should be convincing more people in their churches to become republican?  That might be a better answer than changing priests into democrats!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-13-2018, 12:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

But I will say, I would guess that priests see a lot of things that many "regular" people don't, and it may affect the way they think politically (I would guess that they don't start out republican necessarily).  Maybe they should be convincing more people in their churches to become republican?  That might be a better answer than changing priests into democrats!

The Catholic Church is unique in that their clergy are protected from the realities of the world. They're even protected when they molest children. Since they aren't allowed to get married, they don't know what it's like to provide for a family.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(07-13-2018, 12:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Oh, I think that they have been trying.  Catholics do a good job of resisting, though, and that is good for everyone.
I don't think that party affiliation should be info that's asked for when selecting priests, and I don't think most denominations do that. Instead, they indirectly filter out certain political leanings by selecting based on views on specific issues. The Catholic Church, though, could benefit from cleaning house.

My guess is that, in the past, STEM employees with high-paying jobs mostly voted Republican for lower taxes. The Democratic Party was also very socially conservative in the past. Today, the Republican Party is very religious, and scientists are less religious than the general population. 97% of scientists also believe in climate change, and they don't understand why the issue is being politicized.

Another interesting comparison is pediatricians and psychiatrists vs. plastic surgeons, urologists, and neurosurgeons. The thing that sticks out to me is that pediatricians and psychiatrists work with more vulnerable populations. These specialties in medicine probably also attract more women.

I was right. Women make up the majority in pediatrics and psychiatry.

https://wire.ama-assn.org/education/how-...ary-gender
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
If you click on each occupation, it'll branch out further into sub-fields.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Israel Attack Ignites Civil War Inside Both Political Parties LevelUP 17 1,979 01-03-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 770 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Credit for Industry Certs Part II pavlc 17 13,825 06-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Matymus
  Credit for Industry Certs siersema 48 10,542 07-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Last Post: spazz