Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How hard is Principles of Statistics DSST?
I've always been super average at math.  in high school I took algebra I&II, Geometry, Trigonometry I was a C+ to B- student, and this was 6+ years ago (I graduated in 2012).

For those who have passed Principles of Stat DSST, how hard do you think it is? consider my average math performance

also, what is your background and how did you prepare?

I have roughly 80 college credits so far, I passed the College Mathematics CLEP with a 56 a little over a year ago. that is my most recent exposure to math and I barely squeaked by with the 56
I think, based on taking the Stats course through Study.com, that it will be difficult for you. It has almost nothing to do with anything you've already learned. It will all be new material, and not easy even if you were a good math student.

I would say that you could take it for free on Khan Academy, at least to the point where you knew enough material to pass the course (meaning you don't have to go through 100% of it). There are also some YouTube videos you can watch.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Summer18
(07-13-2018, 12:02 PM)Jitzman94 Wrote: I've always been super average at math.  in high school I took algebra I&II, Geometry, Trigonometry I was a C+ to B- student, and this was 6+ years ago (I graduated in 2012).

For those who have passed Principles of Stat DSST, how hard do you think it is? consider my average math performance

I have roughly 80 college credits so far, I passed the College Mathematics CLEP with a 56 a little over a year ago. that is my most recent exposure to math and I barely squeaked by with the 56

I took that DSST. To give you my background, I did NOT take algebra, geometry and trig in high school (literally- never taken algebra) and I did the exam about 20 years after high school.

I needed stats as a prereq for grad school, and would have taken it as a class (I actually registered but had a tragedy and had to drop before it started) so long story short, by the time I was through the worst of it, I was nearly out of time for stats. I thought I could use ALEKS, so I did the Beg. Algebra class first and then started the Stats class. I couldn't get through it- it was terrible and torture, but I didn't quit, I thought if I could get some other help that I would make it. So, I watched the learner.org video series called Against All Odds (free streaming) which was REALLY REALLY REALLY helpful. It gave me a better context for what I was learning. So, then for the mathy part, I went to Khan Academy and started at the first video for stats/prob. I watched every video and worked every problem. I was working kinda fast, but made sure I understood before moving forward. Anyway, I was *almost* done with Khan, I think probably all but the last few lessons, and I randomly decided to attempt the DSST. If I failed, which I expected to do, I would finish Khan then go back and finish my ALEKS class. But, I didn't fail! I got a 441 (400 passing).

So, I don't know how to tell you to study since my approach was a little crazy, but if you want to get a leg up on this, check out the videos at learner.org and see what you think. Those made me really sure I could do it. (and there wasn't that much math actually - a lot of reading and interpreting data.)

EDIT to add: I found an old thread about me studying (10 years ago) and there were things I forgot to tell you. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...statistics
(07-13-2018, 06:52 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 12:02 PM)Jitzman94 Wrote: I've always been super average at math.  in high school I took algebra I&II, Geometry, Trigonometry I was a C+ to  B- student, and this was 6+ years ago (I graduated in 2012).

I took that DSST.  To give you my background, I did NOT take algebra, geometry and trig in high school (literally- never taken algebra) and I did the exam about 20 years after high school.  

I needed stats as a prereq for grad school, and would have taken it as a class (I actually registered but had a tragedy and had to drop before it started) so long story short, by the time I was through the worst of it, I was nearly out of time for stats.  I thought I could use ALEKS, so I did the Beg. Algebra class first and then started the Stats class.  I couldn't get through it- it was terrible and torture,  but I didn't quit, I thought if I could get some other help that I would make it.  So, I watched the learner.org video series called Against All Odds (free streaming) which was REALLY REALLY REALLY helpful.  It gave me a better context for what I was learning.  So, then for the mathy part, I went to Khan Academy and started at the first video for stats/prob.  I watched every video and worked every problem.  I was working kinda fast, but made sure I understood before moving forward. Anyway, I was *almost* done with Khan, I think probably all but the last few lessons, and I randomly decided to attempt the DSST.  If I failed, which I expected to do, I would finish Khan then go back and finish my ALEKS class.  But, I didn't fail!  I got a 441 (400 passing).  

So, I don't know how to tell you to study since my approach was a little crazy, but if you want to get a leg up on this, check out the videos at learner.org and see what you think.  Those made me really sure I could do it. (and there wasn't that much math actually - a lot of reading and interpreting data.)

EDIT to add:  I found an old thread about me studying (10 years ago) and there were things I forgot to tell you.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...statistics
Can I ask how long you studied with Khan for? This is my problem too. Out of HS for 20 years and while I did take algebra and geometry I don't remember being any good at it.
Community College - 39 Credits
Excelsior/ECE - Information Literacy, World Conflicts After 1900, Research Methods in Psychology, Weather and Climate, Workplace Communication with Computers, Labor Relations, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Educational Psychology
DSST - Ethics of America, Principals of Supervision, Health and Human Development, Human Resources Management, The Civil War and Reconstruction, Substance Abuse, Environmental Science, History of the Soviet Union
Study.Com - Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology, Communications 102: Interpersonal Communications, Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation, English 105: English Composition II, History 108: History of the Vietnam War, Statistics 101: Principles of Statistics
For Statistics, you want to use ALEKS. It's only $20/month and it's a good tool to practice with. I would spend some time with the FREE CLEPS first to learn the info in CLEP/Modernstates and Khan Academy, then if you can't pass the CLEP, try ALEKS for a month.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-16-2020, 01:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For Statistics,  you want to use ALEKS.  It's only $20/month and it's a good tool to practice with. I would spend some time with the FREE CLEPS first to learn the info in CLEP/Modernstates and Khan Academy, then if you can't pass the CLEP, try ALEKS for a month.

I thought ALEKS for Stats was awful.  And, to back me up on this, I have a little story.

My BFF's daughter was a college freshman, as a Marine Biology major, coming in with a 4.5 GPA.  She took Stats in the fall, and got an A in the course.  She did so well that the professor offered her a job as a TA - she also got offered 3 jobs from 2 other teachers after that term, including from her Scuba professor (TA) and her Chemistry professor (TA or Tutor, which she took since it paid the best).  So this girl is no slouch when it comes to schoolwork.

Anyway, she was there when I was talking to my BFF about school one night, and said that she would take the ALEKS knowledge exam "for fun."  She was home for Xmas vacation and wanted to keep her skills up I guess.  Anyway, she took it, took 3 HOURS to take it, and got a 30%.  She said "I have no idea what this course is about, but it's nothing like the stats class I just took at school, and that was the hardest class I've ever taken."  She literally had no idea what was going on, and had never seen some of the types of problems the course had.

So, just to say that if you try ALEKS (it's only $20 so worth a shot), and you aren't successful with it, it's probably not you, and you should try something else instead.

I took it through Study.com and did well enough to pass (I think I got a B but I really can't remember).  I've also heard good things about Khan and Against All Odds, and the DSST exam.  People here have also used Sophia, SL, and Saylor.  So there are lots of options if you don't pass the DSST.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@dfrecore maybe her school offered a substandard math class? Was it Stats for Bio Majors? lol

The Aleks stats seemed pretty standard to me. If you plan to go into ML or AI there are actually some pretty useful concepts there.

There is a free book called "Think Stats: Probability and Statistics" using Python to teach stats, after taking the Aleks class and going through that book, you'll be prepared to dive into ML and AI.

Have a look:
https://greenteapress.com/thinkstats/

I'm reviewing stats right now to prepare for the World Quant Financial Engineering masters exam I plan on enrolling in September. I think aleks would be good prep fro that entrance exam, which is known to be on the harder end.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(02-17-2020, 08:51 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @dfrecore maybe her school offered a substandard math class? Was it Stats for Bio Majors? lol

The Aleks stats seemed pretty standard to me. If you plan to go into ML or AI there are actually some pretty useful concepts there.

There is a free book called "Think Stats: Probability and Statistics" using Python to teach stats, after taking the Aleks class and going through that book, you'll be prepared to dive into ML and AI.

Have a look:
https://greenteapress.com/thinkstats/

I'm reviewing stats right now to prepare for the World Quant Financial Engineering masters exam I plan on  enrolling in September. I think aleks would be good prep fro that entrance exam, which is known to be on the harder end.

She switched majors to Marine Chemistry, and didn't have to take a different math course, so I'm guessing it was regular stats.

All I'm saying is that ALEKS isn't a great course for everyone, so give it a shot, and if it doesn't work for you, try something else.
(07-13-2018, 12:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think, based on taking the Stats course through Study.com, that it will be difficult for you.  It has almost nothing to do with anything you've already learned.  It will all be new material, and not easy even if you were a good math student.

I would say that you could take it for free on Khan Academy, at least to the point where you knew enough material to pass the course (meaning you don't have to go through 100% of it).  There are also some YouTube videos you can watch.

are you saying that the DSST stats course will be difficult, has nothing to do with previously learned stuff, and is all new material? or are you saying that study.com's course is all those things?
(07-31-2020, 06:28 PM)Summer18 Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 12:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think, based on taking the Stats course through Study.com, that it will be difficult for you.  It has almost nothing to do with anything you've already learned.  It will all be new material, and not easy even if you were a good math student.

I would say that you could take it for free on Khan Academy, at least to the point where you knew enough material to pass the course (meaning you don't have to go through 100% of it).  There are also some YouTube videos you can watch.

are you saying that the DSST stats course will be difficult, has nothing to do with previously learned stuff, and is all new material? or are you saying that study.com's course is all those things?

Forget DSST.  Take Sophia Stats.  I took it and you can get through it quickly.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 141 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 445 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  DSST can't insert school code when remote proctoring. Carnation 1 202 11-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Transcript help needed GameSlinger 5 764 08-15-2023, 02:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Taking DSST Ethics In Technology Exam Tomorrow Kyler 0 458 07-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kyler
  I got a 71/100 on dsst ethics in tech practice Kyler 3 623 06-26-2023, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Kyler
  DSST Exam Prep Brittanyw1028 5 840 06-09-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  DSST Exam Prep Brittanyw1028 0 843 06-08-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Brittanyw1028
Wink Has anyone here attempted the Geography DSST examination? Judy Stone 0 506 05-21-2023, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Judy Stone
  Lessons Required to Study for DSST Art of the Western World Stacie 8 1,287 07-22-2022, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Stacie