Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CompTIA A+ Question
Anyone take it and pass it? Was it hard? How does the two part exam work? Do you think someone could pass it with general computer knowledge?
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Have not taken A+, but took another 2 parter, Linux+. Went to the test center twice in 2 days. Think of it as two separate tests.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

General computer knowledge alone is not enough to pass it, but it’s not the hardest cert in the world. It’s an entry level cert, so you won’t need years of experience, but you do need more than the average user.

Check out Professor Messers free video series for the exams on YouTube. You might want to listen at 1.5x or 2x speed, because the dude is a little dry and drawn out, but he hits every topic category on the exam and is likely all you need to pass. But it certainly is a good idea to use more than one source, as backup i’d Recommend Mike Meyers’s A+ All In One, but one thing that bugged me about that book is how he mixed up the exam topics for both exams into one jumble instead of separating them out for studying one exam at a time.

Good luck!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The A+ is a good place to start. I found it harder than the security + or CEH exams. The A+ covers a lot of outdated information. Not that it isn't good to know what the A+ teaches but having to remember all the pin counts for memory and the bandwidth for ports on a motherboard that haven't been used in 30 years is a bit crazy.

You will have two parts to the test. A+ 901 hardware and A+ 902 software. I would recommend Mike Myers courses https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-certific...al-course/  and https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-certific...tal-course It will cost around $26 for both video courses and his total tester software which is about $70.

If you look around you might be able to find all of that for much cheaper.  I forget where I found these study guides and they helped me a ton as I followed the videos.
They should help you too!

If you want to pass, you will need to know most of the information in these guides.

Attached Files
.docx   Comptia A+ 901 Study Guide.docx (Size: 37.93 KB / Downloads: 6)
.docx   Comptia A+ 902 Study Guide.docx (Size: 42.36 KB / Downloads: 2)
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
(08-09-2018, 09:49 AM)Life_One Wrote: The A+ is a good place to start. I found it harder than the security + or CEH exams. The A+ covers a lot of outdated information. Not that it isn't good to know what the A+ teaches but having to remember all the pin counts for memory and the bandwidth for ports on a motherboard that haven't been used in 30 years is a bit crazy.

You will have two parts to the test. A+ 901 hardware and A+ 902 software. I would recommend Mike Myers courses https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-certific...al-course/  and https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-certific...tal-course It will cost around $26 for both video courses and his total tester software which is about $70.

If you look around you might be able to find all of that for much cheaper.  I forget where I found these study guides and they helped me a ton as I followed the videos.

If you want to pass, you will need to know most of the information in these guides.

I haven't seen anyone report that they got a pin count question since like the 600 series of the exam (it's on the 900 series now), but you're absolutely right that there is a good amount of trivial information that no one would need to know on their day to day job. It wasn't harder than the Sec+ in my experience, it was just a tedious effort since the information you need to know is a mile wide but an inch deep.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life_One
(08-09-2018, 10:30 AM)jsd Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 09:49 AM)Life_One Wrote: The A+ is a good place to start. I found it harder than the security + or CEH exams. The A+ covers a lot of outdated information. Not that it isn't good to know what the A+ teaches but having to remember all the pin counts for memory and the bandwidth for ports on a motherboard that haven't been used in 30 years is a bit crazy.

You will have two parts to the test. A+ 901 hardware and A+ 902 software. I would recommend Mike Myers courses https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-certific...al-course/ and https://www.udemy.com/comptia-a-certific...tal-course It will cost around $26 for both video courses and his total tester software which is about $70.

If you look around you might be able to find all of that for much cheaper. I forget where I found these study guides and they helped me a ton as I followed the videos.

I haven't seen anyone report that they got a pin count question since like the 600 series of the exam (it's on the 900 series now), but you're absolutely right that there is a good amount of trivial information that no one would need to know on their day to day job. It wasn't harder than the Sec+ in my experience, it was just a tedious effort since the information you need to know is a mile wide but an inch deep.

I've been in tech for a few years, but I didn't get my A+ until December 20, 2017, and two months later I grabbed the Sec +. I did have a pin count question lol. I thought the Sec + was easier, the way the questions were asked. They seemed to be more real-world based problems to solve not just rote memorization. That's a Perfect example of the A+ knowledge too.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
That's pretty surprising. The general consensus was that they had done away with those types of questions. Annoying that that's not the case, as it is literally useless information to retain.

My favorite CompTIA exams were the Linux+ exams, because you knew exactly what they were asking you. No weird tricky questions, just straight up questions that you knew or didn't know the answer to. you didn't have to guess any at any word games (though it did require a lot of rote memorization, unfortunately). The test was created by LPI for CompTIA though, so that's why it's the best of CompTIA exams -- because they're not actually CompTIA exams Smile

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life_One

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 608 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 648 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 770 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Employment Question Alpha 3 1,049 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,089 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,602 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,629 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,091 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
  Question about mooc Imbanewbie 2 1,162 08-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie