Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Advice on these three TESU Liberal Arts Capstone advisors?
I had Dr Haydel and she was awesome!
(09-14-2018, 07:34 AM)nashpond Wrote: I had Dr Haydel and she was awesome!

Thanks for the advice! I think I will take her based on everything I've read!
I've heard good things about Haydel too. Personally, I think the professor does matter. Even though they use the same rubric they don't all have the same requirements. Some require original research, some don't. Some provide sample papers, some don't. Some interact with the students on a daily basis and some are MIA half the time. My professor was awesome - very quick to respond and he gave sample papers. Those sample papers were very, very different from what has been posted on this forum. If I turned anything in that looked like those sample papers I would have been marked down. Fortunately he gave a lot of instructions and as long as I followed them I was always fine.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(09-18-2018, 06:36 AM)rlw74 Wrote: I've heard good things about Haydel too. Personally, I think the professor does matter. Even though they use the same rubric they don't all have the same requirements. Some require original research, some don't. Some provide sample papers, some don't. Some interact with the students on a daily basis and some are MIA half the time. My professor was awesome - very quick to respond and he gave sample papers. Those sample papers were very, very different from what has been posted on this forum. If I turned anything in that looked like those sample papers I would have been marked down. Fortunately he gave a lot of instructions and as long as I followed them I was always fine.

Thank-you! I'm glad you had a good professor; he sounds great. I hope my professor doesn't require original research!
Dr. James Cody is fantastic!!! He provides examples and he is very responsive. Dr. Cody provides feedback in a non-judgmental manner. If he is available, choose him.
BA Liberal Studies, 2018 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
ASNSM, Computer Science, 2018 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AS General Studies, 2016, Northwestern State University, LA
(09-25-2018, 04:38 PM)omuneek Wrote: Dr. James Cody is fantastic!!! He provides examples and he is very responsive. Dr. Cody provides feedback in a non-judgmental manner. If he is available, choose him.

Unfortunately he wasn't but I did read wonderful reviews for him. I went with Dr. Haydel. 
I'm glad you had a good experience with him. Thank-you for responding!
Okay I'm going to start my capstone next month and Haydel seems to be a good choice. Now my main question is can we write out paper about what we want or does the instructor choose?
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Dr. Black is awesome! U was dreading the capstone but Dr. Black made it bearable. He is a TESU alumni so it felt nice having a professor that has "been there". He makes himself available and grades assignments quickly. If there is something wrong with an assignment he will provide his phone number so you can call him until midnight or 12:30.He wants you to succeed but expect to work hard no matter who your mentor is. You will learn a lot a come out of this experience ready to take on the world ?
(10-02-2018, 07:28 PM)vetvso Wrote: Okay I'm going to start my capstone next month and Haydel seems to be a good choice. Now my main question is can we write out paper about what we want or does the instructor choose?

You get to pick your topic. If your instructor requires original research, some topics will probably not work. Dr. Haydel does require original research.
You then come up with a major question and sub-questions related to the topic. The instructor responds with feedback on whether your questions are appropriate or will work. 

As far as taking it next month, I'm not sure if Dr. Haydel is teaching it next month. I think instructors teach it every three months, starting again after the last class has already finished. I'm sure there will be other good instructors though to choose from.

(10-02-2018, 08:11 PM)jane_eyre11 Wrote: Dr. Black is awesome! U was dreading the capstone but Dr. Black made it bearable. He is a TESU alumni so it felt nice having a professor that has "been there". He makes himself available and grades assignments quickly. If there is something wrong with an assignment he will provide his phone number so you can call him until midnight or 12:30.He wants you to succeed but expect to work hard no matter who your mentor is. You will learn a lot a come out of this experience ready to take on the world ?

I'm so glad you had a great experience! 
And thank-you for the advice! If I survive this course, I certainly will!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenna.C's post:
  • vetvso
This is great information, and glad I found this particular topic.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 14 469 Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538