Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Union Members: Free Associate's Degree
I have a buddy whose wife is a nurse and her union allows for him to take classes there free, he's wrapping up his first term.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • cookderosa
Are there any first-person updates or reviews of this program with Eastern Gateway Community College?  

Just found out daughter is in a union which participates.  I'm not interested in earning an associates -- but maybe some of the certificates.  

I find this weird (from the FAQs https://www.unionplusfreecollege.org/faqs/):
What do I need to submit as proof of High School graduation or GED completion?
New students can begin the semester at EGCC by completing and signing a form that says where you have a graduated or completed.  They then have until the beginning of the next semester to submit the official proof of completion, which can include official or unofficial High School/GED transcripts OR a copy of your diploma OR official college transcript showing Associate Degree or higher.

It's a little more overkill than proof of high school graduation.  I'm so used to being ineligible for fun perks/benefits/allowances because I already have a degree.  
On the other hand, since I have already completed my Gen Ed, maybe I should collect associates degrees instead of certificates...   Smile
(09-16-2019, 09:09 PM)triforce828 Wrote: Are there any first-person updates or reviews of this program with Eastern Gateway Community College?  

Just found out daughter is in a union which participates.  I'm not interested in earning an associates -- but maybe some of the certificates.  

I find this weird (from the FAQs https://www.unionplusfreecollege.org/faqs/):
What do I need to submit as proof of High School graduation or GED completion?
New students can begin the semester at EGCC by completing and signing a form that says where you have a graduated or completed.  They then have until the beginning of the next semester to submit the official proof of completion, which can include official or unofficial High School/GED transcripts OR a copy of your diploma OR official college transcript showing Associate Degree or higher.

It's a little more overkill than proof of high school graduation.  I'm so used to being ineligible for fun perks/benefits/allowances because I already have a degree.  
On the other hand, since I have already completed my Gen Ed, maybe I should collect associates degrees instead of certificates...   Smile

I read that to mean you can enroll with a GED, hs diploma OR prior degree. Which is to say you CAN'T enroll if you're still in hs.

My very dear friend is in this program now, she's loving it- if you have questions I am happy to ask for you.
(09-19-2019, 07:47 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I read that to mean you can enroll with a GED, hs diploma OR prior degree.  Which is to say you CAN'T enroll if you're still in hs.

I can confirm that.  My husband's job offers this and I was so excited BUT the representative told me that you have to be 18 yo.  Either way, you cannot do this WHILE in high school. Sad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • cookderosa
(09-19-2019, 05:35 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 07:47 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I read that to mean you can enroll with a GED, hs diploma OR prior degree.  Which is to say you CAN'T enroll if you're still in hs.

I can confirm that.  My husband's job offers this and I was so excited BUT the representative told me that you have to be 18 yo.  Either way, you cannot do this WHILE in high school. Sad

There is a *tiny* exception - if you LIVE in Ohio, you can apply for College Plus which is NOT the same program talked about here, it's their dual enrollment program. (not open to out of state teens) It provides funding for high school students in Ohio during high school- so if you qualify for College Plus, you can do your courses at Gateway and then once you graduate, it switches over to being funded by the union program.
So glad this showed up in my recommended threads. (The search function on this site hates me, so I'd never have found it otherwise.) I've been thinking about getting paralegal certification down the road, and this looks like a great option.
Checking up on this again - me and my husband are union members, and he's looking to get a business degree. What is the class structure like?
-----
Testing through BA In Mathematics via TESU - Graduation planned in 2020
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
(09-20-2019, 01:16 PM)dharmastudios Wrote: Checking up on this again - me and my husband are union members, and he's looking to get a business degree. What is the class structure like?

From my previous comment, I obviously haven't taken any yet, but I've applied and looked at the classes. Some classes are offered by the semester and others by the quarter/half-semester. Those shorter classes often earn the same number of credits, so I assume that means they are more intensive.

There are no meeting times listed in the course schedule for some online classes, just the date/time that each week of the course opens and closes. So I'm guessing that means you watch the lecture when it fits into your schedule.

Most give a weeklong window AND a specific meeting time for the lecture.

I'm hoping to start my first class Oct. 14 if my local OKs it, so I can let you know more then.
(09-20-2019, 03:12 PM)wow Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 01:16 PM)dharmastudios Wrote: Checking up on this again - me and my husband are union members, and he's looking to get a business degree. What is the class structure like?

From my previous comment, I obviously haven't taken any yet, but I've applied and looked at the classes. Some classes are offered by the semester and others by the quarter/half-semester. Those shorter classes often earn the same number of credits, so I assume that means they are more intensive.

There are no meeting times listed in the course schedule for some online classes, just the date/time that each week of the course opens and closes. So I'm guessing that means you watch the lecture when it fits into your schedule.

I'm hoping to start my first class Oct. 14 if my local OKs it, so I can let you know more then.

Definately please do, my husband is looking to start this, if it's as good as it says, in January. I was trying to get him to jump in to the October classes, but he's got a lot going on right now and doesn't think he's got the focus to do it. I'm wondering if it means you're taking 3 classes at a time, compacted into 8 week spans. If so, that's not so bad, that's what ECPI does, which is where I'm attending now. They do 2 at a time, in 5 week compacted courses. I haven't had an issue, and love the flexible arrangement. Let me know how intensive it is, I'll look back with you in a few weeks. Hope it goes well for you!

Definately please do, my husband is looking to start this, if it's as good as it says, in January. I was trying to get him to jump in to the October classes, but he's got a lot going on right now and doesn't think he's got the focus to do it. I'm wondering if it means you're taking 3 classes at a time, compacted into 8 week spans. If so, that's not so bad, that's what ECPI does, which is where I'm attending now. They do 2 at a time, in 5 week compacted courses. I haven't had an issue, and love the flexible arrangement. Let me know how intensive it is, I'll look back with you in a few weeks. Hope it goes well for you!
-----
Testing through BA In Mathematics via TESU - Graduation planned in 2020
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
Quote:dharmastudios

Just started my first day of classes. I am taking Earth Science and Statistics (Math128), as well as the one-credit "succeeding in college" course that's required of all students. These are all 8-week courses; EGCC also offers 16-week courses that go at the regular semester pace. Most of the 8 week courses are 3-4 credits, so you are basically doing two weeks of work (from a normal semester) each week.

You can take several classes at once, or just one class at a time. You can also take semesters off if you need to under the Free College benefit. They really aren't picky.

My Earth Science class looks like it will consist of weekly readings from a free online textbook, lecture slides by the prof (without an audio lecture ... all the text is in the slides themselves), online discussions, online labs (which I'm happy about, especially after my advisor told me none of the science classes have labs), some writing assignments and some quizzes.
Statistics is just reading assignments from the free online OpenStax Statistics textbook (or you can buy a hardcopy for about $30) and then problem sets, as far as I can tell, with some discussions and tests down the line. So I imagine this one will be harder if the textbook isn't clear—sort of like taking math courses from Saylor.org. I may be leaning on videos from Khan Academy or Statistics courses on EdX (they have some that are very friendly toward folks who don't do a lot of math) to supplement.
In the orientation video for the online learning software, Psychology 101 is used as the example course. That course includes videos among the learning resources, so it looks like teaching methods vary a lot among classes.
The profs *are* available to answer questions by email. Some may also make themselves available by phone. No lecture or set office hours are scheduled during the week—you have to make sure to schedule your study time yourself.

So I would say these classes probably work best if the student is self-motivated and good at scheduling. Depending on the course, they aren't ideal for auditory learners. At least for my courses, most of the learning material is written.

I should add that EGCC has some good online tutoring resources, especially in math.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 397 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,462 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Confirm degree completed Carnation 0 440 01-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  Degree Approval Timeline for BOG (December Graduation) txc1500 10 1,062 12-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: txc1500
  Pierpont --- Associate degree question midnite123 17 1,390 11-28-2023, 01:54 PM
  Pierpont to Charge $130 Fee for BOG Degree MissRN 35 3,314 11-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: NapoleonInRags
  How long does a Degree Audit typically take? 00u00u00 12 950 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM
  Pierpont degree - Early Childhood basilia 7 455 10-19-2023, 10:48 AM
  Pierpont Degree No Emphasis? mohelena02 4 538 10-18-2023, 08:22 PM
  How do I start getting this degree? LouisDG89 6 675 09-16-2023, 08:07 PM
Last Post: DolceDolce