Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA IT Management - The Journey from the Beginning to the End
Lightbulb 
I officially start the MBA IT Management at WGU on November 1, 2018. I will do the orientation as soon as it becomes available on October 15th. My goal is to keep updating this thread throughout the program and detail my strategies for passing each class and give some information on what was hard or easy.

As you know, some classes will be objective based (O) (Proctored test) and others will be performance based (P) (Written Assignments) - while some with have both.

I am aiming to finish the MBA within 6 months. I plan to be aggressive every step of the way, so likely I will finish sooner than 6 months.

All comments welcome. Feel free to provide any tips or strategies you know of.

CLASSES

P        C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
P        MGT2:   IT Project Management
O        C202:   Managing Human Capital
O        C211:   Global Economics for Managers
O        C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers
P         C212:   Marketing
P + O  C206:   Ethical Leadership
O        C214:   Financial Management
P + O  C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
P         MMT2: IT Strategic Solutions
P         C218:   MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone

AA Information Technology, University of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University, 2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress
Goal: MBA in IT Management, WGU

AA Information TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress
[-] The following 4 users Like albinosmurf's post:
  • allvia, jsd, Merlin, quigongene
Thank you for the O/P Assessment breakdown. I've been looking for that!

And good luck in your program! looking forward to seeing your experiences
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Good luck!!
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • albinosmurf
(09-28-2018, 04:49 PM)albinosmurf Wrote: I officially start the MBA IT Management at WGU on November 1, 2018. I will do the orientation as soon as it becomes available on October 15th. My goal is to keep updating this thread throughout the program and detail my strategies for passing each class and give some information on what was hard or easy.

As you know, some classes will be objective based (O) (Proctored test) and others will be performance based (P) (Written Assignments) - while some with have both.

I am aiming to finish the MBA within 6 months. I plan to be aggressive every step of the way, so likely I will finish sooner than 6 months.

All comments welcome. Feel free to provide any tips or strategies you know of.

CLASSES

P        C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
P        MGT2:   IT Project Management
O        C202:   Managing Human Capital
O        C211:   Global Economics for Managers
O        C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers
P         C212:   Marketing
P + O  C206:   Ethical Leadership
O        C214:   Financial Management
P + O  C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
P         MMT2: IT Strategic Solutions
P         C218:   MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone

AA Information Technology, University of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University, 2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress

(09-28-2018, 04:54 PM)jsd Wrote: Thank you for the O/P Assessment breakdown. I've been looking for that!

And good luck in your program! looking forward to seeing your experiences

Thanks jsd. I'm looking forward to posting updates.

MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress
(09-28-2018, 04:49 PM)albinosmurf Wrote: I officially start the MBA IT Management at WGU on November 1, 2018. I will do the orientation as soon as it becomes available on October 15th. My goal is to keep updating this thread throughout the program and detail my strategies for passing each class and give some information on what was hard or easy.
Good luck! Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Good Luck! I started the program on Sept 1st with the goal of finishing in under a year. So far I've completed the following courses:

C200: Managing Organizations and Leading People
MGT2: IT Project Management
C202: Managing Human Capital
C212: Marketing

And I've enjoyed them all withe the exception of marketing. I just started working on C213: Accounting for Decision Makers and I'm enjoying it as well, but it is a bit tedious.

I'm hoping that with the aggressive pace you plan to keep you'll blow by me quickly and have some good tips for me. My best tip so far is to use the information in the "Course Tips" section; It's there for a reason. And for Project Management specifically, keep it simple. If not you could end up having to write a lot more than is necessary.

Oh, and just and FYI, I think Ethical Leadership only requires a performance assessment now, not both a performance assessment and an objective assessment.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

(09-29-2018, 12:40 PM)Kima Wrote: Good Luck!  I started the program on Sept 1st with the goal of finishing in under a year.  So far I've completed the following courses:

C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
MGT2:  IT Project Management
C202:   Managing Human Capital
C212:   Marketing

And I've enjoyed them all withe the exception of marketing.  I just started working on C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers and I'm enjoying it as well, but it is a bit tedious.  

I'm hoping that with the aggressive pace you plan to keep you'll blow by me quickly and have some good tips for me.   My best tip so far is to use the information in the "Course Tips" section; It's there for a reason.  And for Project Management specifically, keep it simple.  If not you could end up having to write a lot more than is necessary.

Oh, and just and FYI, I think Ethical Leadership only requires a performance assessment now, not both a performance assessment and an objective assessment.

Good luck to you too Kima! So you finished four classes in your first month. That is great and gives me great hope. I look forward to exchanging updates and tips with you over the next year.

(10-01-2018, 02:28 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:40 PM)Kima Wrote: Good Luck!  I started the program on Sept 1st with the goal of finishing in under a year.  So far I've completed the following courses:

And I've enjoyed them all withe the exception of marketing.  I just started working on C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers and I'm enjoying it as well, but it is a bit tedious.  

I'm hoping that with the aggressive pace you plan to keep you'll blow by me quickly and have some good tips for me.   My best tip so far is to use the information in the "Course Tips" section; It's there for a reason.  And for Project Management specifically, keep it simple.  If not you could end up having to write a lot more than is necessary.

Good luck to you too Kima! So you finished four classes in your first month. That is great and gives me great hope. I look forward to exchanging updates and tips with you over the next year.
Kima - You may already know this, but for C213 you should get an HP 12c Platinum financial calculator. It is on the WGU allowed list of calculators. It will make life much easier.

(10-01-2018, 03:53 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:

Kima - You may already know this, but for C213 you should get an HP 12c Platinum financial calculator. It is on the WGU allowed list of calculators. It will make life much easier.

Since I'm considering the MBA in spring, I figure I should pop my head in here for a quick question: does it need to be the HP 12c?

I recently picked up the HP 10bII+ Financial Calculator which covers quite a bit. If the 12c is the recommended option (is it used in the text and/or examples?), then I should probably return it while I am still within the return window. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(10-01-2018, 03:53 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:

Thanks for the tip!  I'll head over to Amazon and see if I can order that now.  I'm hoping to take the exam next week.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,454 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 1,914 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,845 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 495 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,282 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,480 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 990 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,269 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 796 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5