Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Questions: Ap Credits At Excelsior/tesc & "easiest" English Exam
Guys! According to several sources, Excelsior gives credit for AP exams. The question is how much? What about TESC? CLEP exams would be the logical choice of course but it seems I would either have to travel to the US or to Italy to take them. APs are administered 20km from my home city (Budapest). Ofc I may still choose the US or Italian trip but first I would like to know wether or not it would worth it to take AP exams? Are they hard btw?

College Search - Excelsior College - SATÂ, APÂ, CLEPÂ

Since English is not my native language I am having certain doubts taking a random English exam. Which one of the Excelsior accepted English exams do you think would be best to take for someone like me? Also, how do you prepare yourself for such test? I simply wish to pass. Who would have thought? hilarious
Excelsior uses the ACE credit recommendations for AP exams. (Search for Advanced Placement. Registration required.) The Excelsior Credit Guide does not give specifics for cut scores or credits awarded.

Jennifer (cookderosa) has taken a number of AP exams for credit toward her TESC degree. She probably knows more than anyone here about these exams.

ACE recommendations for AP exams are X lower level credits for a score of 3 or better. I've expressed this as Exam Name (Credits):

Art/History of Art (6)
Art/Studio, Drawing, or General Portfolio (6)
Biology (8)
Chemistry (8)
Computer Science A (3 to 4)
Computer Science Ab (6 to 8)
Economics/Macroeconomics (3)
Economics/Microeconomics (3)
English/Language & Composition (6)
English/Literature & Composition (6)
French Language (6 to 8)
French Literature (6 to 12)
German Language (6 to 8)
Government & Politics/Comparative (3)
Government & Politics/United States (3)
History/European (6)
History/United States (6)
Latin/Literature (6 to 8)
Latin/Virgil (6 to 8)
Music Theory (6)
Physics B (6 to 8)

For English Comp -- will the AP exam work? That would save you having to travel quite so far to complete your requirements ...
BS Literature in English cum laude, Excelsior College
currently pursuing K-8 MAT, University of Alaska Southeast (42/51).

IC works! Credits by exam to date: 63

CLEP: A&I Lit (72), Am Gov (69), Biology (58), Intro to Ed Psych (73), Intro Psych (77), Intro Soc (72), US History I (69)
DSST: Astronomy (65), Civil War (63), Intro Computing (463), Environment & Humanity (70), Foundations of Ed (68), USSR (54)
GRE: Literature in English (60th percentile / 18 cr)

On Deck: classroom research & instructional design
I took some of these exams before. The only one I passed with a 3 was European History. I think TESC grants 3 credits for this one. I really don't need it since I could CLEP and DSST my way out for free. The rest I either got a 1 or a 2.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Oh, to answer the question above, yes they are very hard indeed. Harder than CLEPs and DSSTs. I studied for months on end to pass European History and some others. The hardest by far is AP US History. Physics and Chemistry weren't as bad but all AP exams usually have you write 3 essays after a multiple choice test. Seems doable but I would stick with CLEPs and DSSTs and maybe FEMA
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Crayoned Wrote:1.,
Guys! According to several sources, Excelsior gives credit for AP exams. The question is how much? What about TESC? CLEP exams would be the logical choice of course but it seems I would either have to travel to the US or to Italy to take them. Apes are administered km from my home city (Budapest). PFC I may still choose the US or Italian trip but first I would like to know Werther or not it would worth it to take AP exams? Are they hard BTW?

College Search - Excelsior College - SAT®, AP®, CLEP®

Since English is not my native language I am having certain doubts taking a random English exam. Which one of the Excelsior accepted English exams do you think would be best to take for someone like me? Also, how do you prepare yourself for such test? I simply wish to pass. Who would have thought? hilarious
>>

I took AP as a kid (ah-hem....a few dozen years ago) and they are for high schoolers. You'll have to find a school "willing" to let you sit the test. A few things, first, you won't be able to schedule it- they will have one per year and that's when it is. It's a hard exam- at least double CLEP and DSST. You'll get a score (1-5) and it won't be pass-fail. You'll also have to write essays for many/most/all? of them. Put it this way, nearly everyone (even MIT, Cal Tech, Princeton, Yale, etc) give AP credit or advanced standing (whoo hoo)....how much and for what score is up to them.
If you already took them in school, then I say "absolutely" use the credit.

There are a couple AP exams that are not offered through CLEP (physics, Latin, etc) which may be worth looking at. But, again, you'll have to convince the school to let you take them (and they don't have to say yes).

By the way, your English is excellent. Not to worry.
Thanks a lot guys!

Here's some info about the acceptance of AP English exams that I found in the Student Guide to Credit by Examination at Excelsior College PDF:

EXCELSIOR COLLEGE WRITTEN ENGLISH REQUIREMENT

All Excelsior College degree programs require you to demonstrate competence in college-level expository writing. The examinations that will satisfy this requirement are:

Test Min Score

ECE College Writing C
ECE English Composition C
AP English Literature & Composition 3
AP English Language & Composition 3

EVE=Excelsior College Examinations
AP=Advanced Placement Examinations
The TESC TECEP English Composition is the easiest exam you can take it's a little bit more expensive but worth it.
Also it counts as pass fail at excelsior so you do not have to worry about your grade.
Hope this help

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,978 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,085 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,219 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,714 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,703 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,979 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,798 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,995 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green