Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking advice - should I switch degrees?
(10-04-2018, 11:48 AM)impasta Wrote: Thanks for your reply!

I'm at work right now but I'll pull up my transcript and make a list of my credits as soon as possible.

I know I have way too many Shmoop credits (over 60) that TESU won't take; I actually have excess general ed LL credits and barely any UL. I spoke to an enrollment counselor at WGU who said they will take any applicable Shmoop credits but I saw some people on here and on Reddit claim that WGU does NOT take Shmoop, so I'm in the process of confirming that with their transcript department (though I haven't applied yet). I'll report back when I have an answer.

Not necessarily. Doesn't Shoomp depend on when you took them? If finished the courses before the cut off date doesn't TESU still accept them? Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not 100% sure but I thought I saw that on this fourm. When is the cut off date?
(02-10-2019, 01:16 PM)natshar Wrote:

I'm at work right now but I'll pull up my transcript and make a list of my credits as soon as possible.

I know I have way too many Shmoop credits (over 60) that TESU won't take; I actually have excess general ed LL credits and barely any UL. I spoke to an enrollment counselor at WGU who said they will take any applicable Shmoop credits but I saw some people on here and on Reddit claim that WGU does NOT take Shmoop, so I'm in the process of confirming that with their transcript department (though I haven't applied yet). I'll report back when I have an answer.

Not necessarily. Doesn't Shoomp depend on when you took them? If finished the courses before the cut off date doesn't TESU still accept them? Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not 100% sure but I thought I saw that on this fourm. When is the cut off date?
Cutoff date was for having them sent to TESU, not for taking them, as far as I understand.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-10-2019, 01:18 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Cutoff date was for having them sent to TESU, not for taking them, as far as I understand.

That actually makes more sense. You are probably right.

TESU won't take Shmoop courses any longer regardless of when you completed them. Any Shmoop courses taken would have had to have been planned and/or submitted to TESU last summer before they decided Shmoop courses were no longer creditworthy.

As far as I know, WGU has never accepted Shmoop courses for credit. At least that has been their stance for quite some time, but policies can change at any time, so perhaps they have reversed that decision in recent months.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Wow, this was a long time ago! I just wanted to give an update in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and/or is in a similar situation.

Long story short, I did end up sucking it up and finished my BS in Psychology at Excelsior. Meanwhile I started to self-study computer science and programming religiously. I wanted to make sure I really wanted this career change. I also reduced my expenses and started to grow my masters degree fund. After I graduated, it wasn't easy to find a program that would accept someone with a non-tech undergrad degree.

I (unsurprisingly) got rejected from UPenn's Master of Computer and Information Technology (MCIT) program, and I ended up enrolling in University of West Georgia's Applied Comp Sci program, mainly because it was marketed for people with a non-tech undergrad degree.

IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.

More than half the classes are taught only by a single professor, who is also the Program Coordinator (Michael Orsega). This man should not be allowed to teach. He literally told me (I'm a woman) that I would be better off marrying a software engineer than ever trying to be one. He was extremely condescending and so unreasonably particular that 75% of students in the program failed or dropped out after the first two courses.

I actually passed those first two courses and transferred them to Maryville University of St. Louis, where I enrolled in the MS in Software Development program. It was pricy (~ $20,000) but ended up being so worth it. I graduated in 1 year with a 4.0 GPA and I am now successfully working as a Software Engineer, 100% remote, and traveling the USA in an RV (plus occasional international trips).

My advice? Be honest with yourself about what career and lifestyle you want, and work hard to make it happen - even if you have to 'suck it up' for a bit. Remember, you can do hard things. It's all so worth it in the end.

That being said, I am very grateful for this forum. I hope you all accomplished your goals and living your best lives.

Thank you all so much for your help.
[-] The following 4 users Like impasta's post:
  • allvia, origamishuttle, rachel83az, TwinMom
(06-09-2023, 11:06 AM)impasta Wrote: Wow, this was a long time ago! I just wanted to give an update in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and/or is in a similar situation.

Long story short, I did end up sucking it up and finished my BS in Psychology at Excelsior. Meanwhile I started to self-study computer science and programming religiously. I wanted to make sure I really wanted this career change. I also reduced my expenses and started to grow my masters degree fund. After I graduated, it wasn't easy to find a program that would accept someone with a non-tech undergrad degree.

I (unsurprisingly) got rejected from UPenn's Master of Computer and Information Technology (MCIT) program, and I ended up enrolling in University of West Georgia's Applied Comp Sci program, mainly because it was marketed for people with a non-tech undergrad degree.

IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.

More than half the classes are taught only by a single professor, who is also the Program Coordinator (Michael Orsega). This man should not be allowed to teach. He literally told me (I'm a woman) that I would be better off marrying a software engineer than ever trying to be one. He was extremely condescending and so unreasonably particular that 75% of students in the program failed or dropped out after the first two courses.

I actually passed those first two courses and transferred them to Maryville University of St. Louis, where I enrolled in the MS in Software Development program. It was pricy (~ $20,000) but ended up being so worth it. I graduated in 1 year with a 4.0 GPA and I am now successfully working as a Software Engineer, 100% remote, and traveling the USA in an RV (plus occasional international trips).

My advice? Be honest with yourself about what career and lifestyle you want, and work hard to make it happen - even if you have to 'suck it up' for a bit. Remember, you can do hard things. It's all so worth it in the end.

That being said, I am very grateful for this forum. I hope you all accomplished your goals and living your best lives.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Congratulations, and thank you for the update. You know it was long ago in forum time when the thread references Shmoop Smile I'm sure I speak for many when I say 'we' often wonder what ever happened to that person who (insert story here).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 515 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 611 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,793 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 742 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,742 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 445 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 273 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 572 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 952 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn