Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Financaia Aid?
(10-10-2018, 01:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.

You can't just "put him into an ROTC program" as your whim, you have to apply and be chosen, and you have to choose a school that accepts the ROTC program that you get accepted for.  If he did get it though, at that point, I don't think you don't have to switch schools, because the Citadel is one of the ones that takes ROTC students.  Tuition is 100% paid by the military.

The only thing with The Citadel is their tuition - I can't quite figure out how it works, because when I checked, there was no breakout of costs - tuition, room and board were all 1 price (ROTC normally only pays tuition).

I've been looking at NROTC programs because my son is interested, the Army, Navy & AF are all different, so you'd want to research the programs and see if he can get into any - assuming that he wants to join the military after college (required for all branches if you get a scholarship and use it for your 3rd/4th years).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I could be wrong, but I don't think he'd(OP's son) be eligible for the military or a military officer program(usually a lot more selective than enlisted) with his conditions. That's if he even wanted to.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
If the Citadel is too expensive, and decent financial aid is not forthcoming, I echo the thought that you should find a public university that is more in keeping with your family's finances. Schools all have disabled student services mandated by the ADA. This generally gives access to extra tutoring, notetaking help, additional time for exams, taking exams in a separate quiet area, or other accommodations. Two of my kids had "challenges" and disabled services made a HUGE difference in their ability to finish school successfully. There's more than one way to work with your son's issues.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-10-2018, 01:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 01:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.

You can't just "put him into an ROTC program" as your whim, you have to apply and be chosen, and you have to choose a school that accepts the ROTC program that you get accepted for.  If he did get it though, at that point, I don't think you don't have to switch schools, because the Citadel is one of the ones that takes ROTC students.  Tuition is 100% paid by the military.

The only thing with The Citadel is their tuition - I can't quite figure out how it works, because when I checked, there was no breakout of costs - tuition, room and board were all 1 price (ROTC normally only pays tuition).

I've been looking at NROTC programs because my son is interested, the Army, Navy & AF are all different, so you'd want to research the programs and see if he can get into any - assuming that he wants to join the military after college (required for all branches if you get a scholarship and use it for your 3rd/4th years).

If he doesn't want a military obligation, then an ROTC scholarship is not an option. In that case, it would make sense to go to a cheaper school.

There are schools, such as Texas A&M, with non-ROTC cadet programs, and the only prerequisite is admittance to the university. There are also a handful of junior colleges with military programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P