Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overpaid Jobs
(10-22-2018, 09:57 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 04:20 PM)natshar Wrote: I know everyone hears all about jobs that are "underpaid." As in they aren't getting paid enough for the work they do and/or training or credentials required. But what about overpaid? Anyone have any thoughts on this? It is okay if others don't agree.

I have one to start off. In the city near where I live there are automated parking garages. They pay college kids an upwards of $12/hr to man the automated parking garages. Thats crazy considering the minimum wage here is $9/hr.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

What kind of parking garages? I worked security in a parking garage and wished I was allowed to carry a gun because there were always drunk fighting on the weekends. I wouldn't want to work at a university parking garage at night without a gun. That's where many robberies and sexual assaults happen.

I never thought of it that way or actually know about the parking garages. But all I know, is when I was at community college, a lot students wanted the job and many would talk about how their job was basically just getting paid to do homework. They have automated the parking garages so you don't have pay an actual person, just a machine but they still have a person there. The students I'm referring to all lived in the city the community college was located in. I live in the next town over and we didn't have parking garages.
Whatever job it is that lets all those people golf during the work day at my local country club while I am driving between school and meetings. Must be "negotiating." Haha.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • sanantone
(10-22-2018, 10:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 09:43 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: NFL Players Rolleyes

Profit sharing, at it's finest.  When the league starts making less, the players will be the first to see cuts in pay.  Besides, they put their bodies and brains on the line for their money.  Not worth it in my opinion. 

I agree. Fans willingly give billions to the NFL and NBA by purchasing merchandise, tickets, and cable sports packages. The games also make money off of advertising because so many people choose to watch. Why should the owners make millions and not the players?

Yeah, their bodies are beaten up before the age of 40, and football players' brains are scrambled eggs by the time they die.

(10-23-2018, 02:24 AM)eriehiker Wrote: Whatever job it is that lets all those people golf during the work day at my local country club while I am driving between school and meetings.  Must be "negotiating."  Haha.

The president?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(10-23-2018, 02:24 AM)eriehiker Wrote: Whatever job it is that lets all those people golf during the work day at my local country club while I am driving between school and meetings.  Must be "negotiating."  Haha.

When my kids were little, they thought daddy's job was "going out to lunch."  But, since he's paid on commission (as is almost everyone in sales), they are paid on how much business they bring in - so if they aren't out there golfing and lunching and whatnot, then your company doesn't need all the rest of you, because they're not selling anything, so they're not making money.  Any money.  To pay everyone else in the entire company.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
(10-23-2018, 09:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

When my kids were little, they thought daddy's job was "going out to lunch."  But, since he's paid on commission (as is almost everyone in sales), they are paid on how much business they bring in - so if they aren't out there golfing and lunching and whatnot, then your company doesn't need all the rest of you, because they're not selling anything, so they're not making money.  Any money.  To pay everyone else in the entire company.

That just highlights that his clients are the ones golfing when they should be having a much shorter, substantive meeting with the salespeople, then awarding the business based on merit instead of who's willing to treat them to golf all afternoon.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • mudball
(10-23-2018, 02:58 AM)sanantone Wrote:

Profit sharing, at it's finest.  When the league starts making less, the players will be the first to see cuts in pay.  Besides, they put their bodies and brains on the line for their money.  Not worth it in my opinion. 

I agree. Fans willingly give billions to the NFL and NBA by purchasing merchandise, tickets, and cable sports packages. The games also make money off of advertising because so many people choose to watch. Why should the owners make millions and not the players?

Yeah, their bodies are beaten up before the age of 40, and football players' brains are scrambled eggs by the time they die.

I agree it makes sense that market forces drive the pay way up for some things. However military, law enforcement, fire fighters, etc put their bodies and lives on the line for less than 1% of what some of the NFL players make and they do it for real causes(not just entertainment). That's just how life is, though.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(10-23-2018, 10:30 AM)MNomadic Wrote:

I agree it makes sense that market forces drive the pay way up for some things. However military, law enforcement, fire fighters, etc put their bodies and lives on the line for less than 1% of what some of the NFL players make and they do it for real causes(not just entertainment). That's just how life is, though.

You're comparing apples to oranges.  You just have to go with the market.  If there are enough people that can pass the test and are willing to be police, firefighters, etc. for the pay, then you're paying them enough.  If you can't get enough people to take the job, then you're not paying enough, and you'll have to up the pay.  Eventually, the market evens out.

When a city decides to pay MORE than the job is worth, you know because you'll get a TON of people applying, and have so many qualified applicants that you don't know what to do with them all. At that point, they SHOULD lower the pay, but they don't (at least, not here in CA where firefighters in some cities earn $150k+ and 90% of their highest salary after retirement).  This is how our state has billions of dollars in unfunded pension liabilities, with no end in sight.  When you're paying 3, 4, 5 retired people for every job, you're in trouble.  If the pay wasn't SO great (and retirement is included in this), it might be manageable (fewer people retiring so early, because they can afford to live the exact same lifestyle as they had when they worked).

Again, it's the market that works this out - government just gets in the way of that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes
(10-22-2018, 09:43 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: NFL Players Rolleyes

People don't want to pay taxes for that.

(10-23-2018, 10:38 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

You're comparing apples to oranges.  You just have to go with the market.  If there are enough people that can pass the test and are willing to be police, firefighters, etc. for the pay, then you're paying them enough.  If you can't get enough people to take the job, then you're not paying enough, and you'll have to up the pay.  Eventually, the market evens out.

When a city decides to pay MORE than the job is worth, you know because you'll get a TON of people applying, and have so many qualified applicants that you don't know what to do with them all. At that point, they SHOULD lower the pay, but they don't (at least, not here in CA where firefighters in some cities earn $150k+ and 90% of their highest salary after retirement).  This is how our state has billions of dollars in unfunded pension liabilities, with no end in sight.  When you're paying 3, 4, 5 retired people for every job, you're in trouble.  If the pay wasn't SO great (and retirement is included in this), it might be manageable (fewer people retiring so early, because they can afford to live the exact same lifestyle as they had when they worked).

Again, it's the market that works this out - government just gets in the way of that.

Market forces don't work in government jobs. The government will go decades with departments understaffed because taxpayers think that wages come out of thin air.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

They should require a golfing course in MBA programs Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Johmford
I'm in sales and it's VERY frequently considered as overpaid, but I'm writing this as I sit in a hotel in Central America, thousands of miles away from my family, missing my daughter's report card today and I'll miss her birthday next week. I'll even miss Halloween.

Yes I have perks like eating at some of the nicest restaurants in the world, but just like golfing with clients, those aren't usually "fun." I'm paid to be the face of the company, and to manage people that are the face of the company, so it's always on. I work 16 hour days on the road and every flight I've taken in the past two weeks has been at 6am or earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I love international sales, but the travel for sure will end up taking at least 10 years off of my life. Not to mention looking like a terrible mother since my type of job is usually reserved for the father.

I would look at the golfing and spending company money not with jealousy, but pity in a way because sincerely, most people would be thankful not to have to entertain clients. I'm just one of the weird ones that enjoys it. Money or not.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 481 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best & Worst jobs - I wonder... bjcheung77 2 616 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Facebook Remote Jobs Dorothy44 0 686 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  650,000 jobs Alpha 20 2,319 03-21-2021, 10:18 AM
  Who's applying for jobs? Amazon's hiring! bjcheung77 8 1,657 12-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  The Fastest Growing Jobs in America Don't Require a College Degree sanantone 0 1,127 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Full-Time Work from home jobs? acamp 16 3,389 12-19-2018, 01:26 AM
  Need advice about jobs - HELP! burbuja0512 21 3,642 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: lmckown
  9 Out of 10 New Jobs are Going to Those with a College Degree sanantone 15 3,035 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  What sort of entry-level business-related jobs are there? Thorne 11 2,440 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Bibby