Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity!
Remote. The OMS programs are all online.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-17-2019, 06:27 PM)jsd Wrote: Remote. The OMS programs are all online.

Good for you, I ask my school and they told me the TA need to be on campus.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(08-17-2019, 09:43 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 06:27 PM)jsd Wrote: Remote. The OMS programs are all online.

Good for you, I ask my school and they told me the TA need to be on campus.

There are only a few TAs that are on campus (I think I only saw 3-4) but most of them are remote across the country.

I am feeling overwhelmed with all the readings. 3 chapters of reading the first week, 2 online videos, 1 quiz. About to open project 1 on Friday. Oh man, how do you do it? On top of that, keep up with all the forums like Slack and Piazza.
Honestly for CPS i stopped reading pretty quickly, as the videos are almost word for word from the book. Might not be the best strategy, but it worked for me.

Speaking of reading - Information Policy and Management is nuts. 173 pages to read in a week, and it looks like that is the norm.

Weekly quizzes, which is normal for most classes, but these are proctored (the other courses i've done with GT have been open note quizzes, but proctored exams). Every week I need to go through the Proctor Track headache  Rolleyes

It's also so far looking more like a management course than a IT/IS/Policy course, so it's really boring stuff. It's like I'm working on an MBA Tongue

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Have you switch over to the policy track or are you still in the IS track?
I'm in Policy

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(08-22-2019, 02:05 PM)jsd Wrote: Information Policy and Management is nuts. 173 pages to read in a week, and it looks like that is the norm.

Weekly quizzes, which is normal for most classes, but these are proctored (the other courses i've done with GT have been open note quizzes, but proctored exams). Every week I need to go through the Proctor Track headache  Rolleyes

It's also so far looking more like a management course than a IT/IS/Policy course, so it's really boring stuff. It's like I'm working on an MBA Tongue

It's been a long time since I've updated, so here's a quick check in.

This class is still just a boring management/business class with very little infosec/policy mixed in. Any run of the mill BSBA/MBA student would do fine in it. It is unbelievably boring, and the lectures are poorly organized.

I have a lower A in the course which I will probably hold on to, except the major/final project, which determines the majority of our grade, is a group project. There's only one other person in my group, and he's been hit or miss. He's either going to come up huge for me as we wrap up, or totally bomb on us. He's controlling most of the vital info since our project focuses on his employer, so it would be hard for me to just give up on him and do the rest on my own. Hopefully my worry is misguided.

The TA in the class has basically said he made a mistake in the approach to the class and the next term will see a re-built course. New students should be very grateful. Being the lab rat is a bummer.

TAing this term has been a blast. I've been way too generous in my grading of students, and even still they're not happy about it. I plan on continuing next term as well, maybe I'll be more honest and harsh in my grading since it's all the same in the end  Tongue

I already registered for two courses for Spring 2020:  MGT 8833 - Privacy for Professionals and PUBP 6111 - Internet and Public Policy... two courses which again are new to the OMS environment, meaning i'll be an unlucky lab-rat once again (as will be the case for all my courses going forward it appears, given my Policy Track first cohort decision). Oh well, I'll survive  Big Grin

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Imbanewbie
Why did you decide to study Psychology and then pivot to IT Security very shortly after? Don't see the connection. Usually people get Post-Bach's after a career change a good 5 years or more after their first degree.
I wont give the long answer since I have a bit of a history on this forum that's easy to look up (and I'm sure you're not actually interested in the answer based on your history here thus far... ); so the short answer...

right after high school, not having an actual career plan, i started my soc/psych AA degree (waffled between both) at a community college, then stupidly dropped out when i started a seemingly "professional" career at a young age (it turned into something great by luck, but was a dumb gamble in hindsight). when i came back to school for more personal satisfaction/HR checkbox purposes, i did a quick/easy (but more importantly cheap) degree plan to finish up based on the credits i already had in the career-unrelated psych field. then i realized i actually enjoyed the non-traditional school process, so i went on to finish up an actually career-relevant degree that also earned some industry certs that i knew would be even more helpful than a second degree. And all for free due to my employer tuition reimbursement benefit. 

now i've kept going, and will shortly be done with 12 (out of 32) grad credits for this program -- and still plan on getting a second grad degree at this point if GT doesn't kill me/my will to fight on. Probably a boring MBA, since I can justify my work throwing more tuition reimbursement at me for it. But if it were possible (it isn't), I'd rather figure out a way to do a non-trad graduate psych (or soc Big Grin ) degree for fun on my employer's dime, since that is my first love, would be way more interesting, and all my career tech stuff is more easily kept up with outside of academia. But that, as opposed to an MBA IT Management degree, would certainly be of no use to my employer at this stage Smile

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • dfrecore
(11-07-2019, 03:06 AM)jsd Wrote: I wont give the long answer since I have a bit of a history on this forum that's easy to look up (and I'm sure you're not actually interested in the answer based on your history here thus far... ); so the short answer...

right after high school, not having an actual career plan, i started my soc/psych AA degree (waffled between both) at a community college, then stupidly dropped out when i started a seemingly "professional" career at a young age (it turned into something great by luck, but was a dumb gamble in hindsight). when i came back to school for more personal satisfaction/HR checkbox purposes, i did a quick/easy (but more importantly cheap) degree plan to finish up based on the credits i already had in the career-unrelated psych field. then i realized i actually enjoyed the non-traditional school process, so i went on to finish up an actually career-relevant degree that also earned some industry certs that i knew would be even more helpful than a second degree. And all for free due to my employer tuition reimbursement benefit. 

now i've kept going, and will shortly be done with 12 (out of 32) grad credits for this program -- and still plan on getting a second grad degree at this point if GT doesn't kill me/my will to fight on. Probably a boring MBA, since I can justify my work throwing more tuition reimbursement at me for it. But if it were possible (it isn't), I'd rather figure out a way to do a non-trad graduate psych (or soc Big Grin ) degree for fun on my employer's dime, since that is my first love, would be way more interesting, and all my career tech stuff is more easily kept up with outside of academia. But that, as opposed to an MBA IT Management degree, would certainly be of no use to my employer at this stage Smile

Cool. Sounds sensible. OPM (Other Peoples Money) is hard to argue with. No need to be sensitive, I wasn't setting you up for a character attack. Genuine curiosity after seeing you appear at random in another thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,358 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,713 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,271 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,633 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,396 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Master of Public Administration and MBA, University of North Georgia JPN 6 946 03-15-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,176 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  UoPeople Degrees accepted for University of London MSc Computer Science & more? JPN 2 1,257 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: debrag
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,803 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,811 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive