Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning for next steps after BSBA: MBA+MSML, MBA+Grad Cert, PhD?
(11-25-2018, 02:28 AM)sanantone Wrote: Academia can be rather snooty, so I'd avoid the non-traditional schools, such as Northcentral, unless you just want to teach at a CC. I had CC adjunct instructors with Capella and University of Phoenix degrees, so they don't care. A lot of smaller, regional schools also don't care.

I don't know that I will ever go into teaching, but if I do, I'd like to be able to teach at CC or bachelor's level. I'm also interested in academic research if I don't go into teaching.

I don't know much about Northcentral, other than reading about it on a forum talking about online RA PhD programs that are reasonably priced and looking at the school website itself. I figured it would be about on par with any other non-elite school at the PhD level. Do they have as bad of a rep as UoP and Capella? What about the other schools I mentioned? Cal Southern, Heriot-Watt, and U Cumberlands?

There is still some time before I start seriously looking at Ph.D. programs, but I suppose I should start gathering info. If I do end up teaching, I don't expect to ever teach at a major school so I won't need an ivy league PhD, but a decent RA school with an inexpensive online program shouldn't be too hard to find. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Northcentral is not as well-known. They were for-profit, but they were just purchased by the nonprofit National University. A lot of these big for-profits are either converting to non-profit status or are being bought out by nonprofit organizations.

University of the Cumberlands is largely unknown. The only thing they're kind of known for is expelling a student for being openly gay. 

California Southern University is a mostly unknown for-profit that does not participate in Title IV, meaning that you can't use financial aid. They earned regional accreditation not too long ago.

I doubt there are a lot of people in the States who know anything about Heriot-Watt, which I guess can be a good thing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-25-2018, 03:25 AM)sanantone Wrote: Northcentral is not as well-known. They were for-profit, but they were just purchased by the nonprofit National University. A lot of these big for-profits are either converting to non-profit status or are being bought out by nonprofit organizations.

University of the Cumberlands is largely unknown. The only thing they're kind of known for is expelling a student for being openly gay. 

California Southern University is a mostly unknown for-profit that does not participate in Title IV, meaning that you can't use financial aid. They earned regional accreditation not too long ago.

Yeah, most of the less expensive schools are not well known, though I am trying to avoid schools with poor reputations. I am also under the impression that outside of the elite schools, pretty much any RA school is going to be given about the same level of consideration, though maybe that is just in the business world, not in academia.

Considering I am paying for my education out of pocket, I am trying to find a decent online doctorate program that is in the $500/cr range (or ideally less) and is interesting to me. With so many schools out there it is hard to really know what is or isn't a good school if it's not highly ranked, and if it is ranked it is probably too expensive.

Then again, if I could find a better school where I could gain a scholarship, grant, fellowship, or TA/RA opportunity which would cover the bulk of the educational costs, that would expand my options a bit. But that doesn't sound like the easiest thing to do, particularly for an older, returning student.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(11-25-2018, 03:43 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 03:25 AM)sanantone Wrote: Northcentral is not as well-known. They were for-profit, but they were just purchased by the nonprofit National University. A lot of these big for-profits are either converting to non-profit status or are being bought out by nonprofit organizations.

Yeah, most of the less expensive schools are not well known, though I am trying to avoid schools with poor reputations. I am also under the impression that outside of the elite schools, pretty much any RA school is going to be given about the same level of consideration, though maybe that is just in the business world, not in academia.

Considering I am paying for my education out of pocket, I am trying to find a decent online doctorate program that is in the $500/cr range (or ideally less) and is interesting to me. With so many schools out there it is hard to really know what is or isn't a good school if it's not highly ranked, and if it is ranked it is probably too expensive.

Then again, if I could find a better school where I could gain a scholarship, grant, fellowship, or TA/RA opportunity which would cover the bulk of the educational costs, that would expand my options a bit. But that doesn't sound like the easiest thing to do, particularly for an older, returning student.

Northcentral is insanely expensive. 

https://www.ncu.edu/tuition-admissions/tuition
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(11-25-2018, 03:49 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 03:43 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Northcentral is insanely expensive. 

https://www.ncu.edu/tuition-admissions/tuition

Ugh, not sure how I missed those tuition rates. But then again I just looked at it for the first time yesterday. I may have been blinded by the multiple PhD program options.

Anyway, I don't need to worry about it now so I have time to look for other options. I can pull NCU off my list considering it more than doubles my budget.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,273 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,409 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI MAOL vs WGU MSML? Jwheels27 29 4,732 06-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 4,940 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 554 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 5,974 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN
  WGU MSML and MBA Sb2013 11 1,739 03-06-2023, 01:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP