Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Term Free at Walden!
(12-28-2018, 12:17 PM)allvia Wrote: Looks like they have carried the first term free offer into Jan start date (my program: https://www.waldenu.edu/online-masters-p...ency-based). Had I know that I would have waited, December has been tough with the holidays to be as productive as I hoped with schooling (although I am now starting to pick up speed) - not the programs fault, so far I have no complaints about Walden or the program.

This could be a great opportunity for more people to jump in and give it a go. Especially good for those who have never done a competency based program.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
Ah, now I can give it a shot. They wouldn't let me enroll last start date due to that I didn't graduate until.... hey wait. I think I graduate today! I have to go check my emails. In any case, they should let me in for Jan 7th now, so I get a second shot at is. My question last time was - does anyone think it could be completed in one term?
Now that you guys have been churning at it for a bit, what do you think an optimistic completion time would be?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(12-31-2018, 11:20 AM)elbebopkid Wrote: Ah, now I can give it a shot. They wouldn't let me enroll last start date due to that I didn't graduate until.... hey wait. I think I graduate today! I have to go check my emails. In any case, they should let me in for Jan 7th now, so I get a second shot at is. My question last time was - does anyone think it could be completed in one term?
Now that you guys have been churning at it for a bit, what do you think an optimistic completion time would be?

Congrats on graduating - check to see what date your official transcripts will show you've graduated (for TESU it was the next business day after conferral).  Also make sure that indeed it is a First Term Free offer for the start date of Jan 7th - as SweetSecret pointed out, the start date and offer don't match - I missed that when I posted that it looked like they were still offering it for the next term.

We have heard that the fastest person to finish the MBA was 9 months (3 terms), so it is not one I'd plan on getting done in one term (which is only 3 months, unlike WGUs 6 month terms).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

This is a great opportunity!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
I am taking the Master's in Early Childhood Education with an administration focus. I have finished two competencies and I haven't been really focused. I actually do think that someone could complete this program in one term. This would be especially true if someone had the writing prompts in advance.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, hsfamfun
I just wanted to do a quick update. I spoke to my academic advisor today who said a lot of people from the December cohort are just starting to get back on track with their studies on the MBA. I asked where the fastest students was into the program, and was told that student is into IGOO5 Marketing Strategy. Makes me feel slightly better as I was worried I was falling too far behind with so many other things going on over the holidays. I really hope whomever is into IG005 is one of our DegreeForum members so we will get details on how far they progress before the end of term!
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(01-07-2019, 02:44 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I am taking the Master's in Early Childhood Education with an administration focus.  I have finished two competencies and I haven't been really focused.  I actually do think that someone could complete this program in one term.  This would be especially true if someone had the writing prompts in advance.

I wonder if they would allow it, however. WGU (and I think Capella, and maybe Purdue Global) have rules on how late you can start the capstone. I think that might prevent someone from doing it.

Another update for you all:

I am completing the competencies on the Walden MBA tempo track and discovered some good news after not being able to figure out my "grade" for a bit. Somehow I expected to see an "A" show up magically, but no such luck. After turning in an assessment paper they get marked either: Not achieved, Achieved, or Mastered. A "Mastered" is equal to a 4.0 on the competency track, and to get a 4.0 you only need to score "Mastered" on 75%. I am pretty thrilled about this because it will help me in applying to JD programs to have a high GPA on a 4.0 scale!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Many Competency-Based programs award a 3.0 (Achieved-level) as the maximum available grade on a 4.0 scale. Tempo allows for students to master competencies as well, allowing a full range between 3.0 and 4.0 based on the credit equivalent weights of each Competency. A student can earn a successful grade of “Achieved” or “Mastered” for completion of a Competency. To earn “Mastered,” 75% of the Learning Objectives in a given Assessment must be scored at the Exceeds Expectations” level on the rubric.

Grade Type Grade Points
Mastered Equivalent to an “A” or 4.0
Achieved Equivalent to a “B” or 3.0
Not Achieved Equivalent to a “F” or 0.0
Transfer “TR” Not calculated into GPA
Fulfilled “TR” Calculated into GPA"

More info on grading: https://catalog.waldenu.edu/content.php?...void=53038
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • Life_One
Wow - I check all the Degree forum posts DAILY - how in the world did I miss this thread?!??

Since I am late to this, just had a few questions if someone could answer:

1) is the first term free still in effect or has that long past?

2) is each term 3 or 6 months?

3) for the masters in early education and management, how many credits are you allowed to take per term ?

Thanks all!
Hi acamp!

Each term is three months. I would recommend skipping February because you get screwed with the short month. March would be a good start month.

My experience is that there is no limit to the number of credits that you can take per term. The system does gatekeep a bit. They only let me have like three classes live at any one moment, so I try to pick smaller ones that I can finish in a day with the competencies with the eight or ten page papers.

The first term is still free. One thing to think about is that they also offer a graduate certificate in early childhood administration with the first term free offer. I think that the grad. cert. really can be completed within a single term, so that might be a great option for some people. I have completed seven competencies so far and I am expecting some transfer credit, so I might just go for the grad. cert.

https://www.waldenu.edu/online-certifica...ency-based

Note: There is also an applied project management graduate certificate with the first term free:

https://www.waldenu.edu/online-certifica...ency-based

https://www.waldenu.edu/financial-aid/li...me-savings

Scroll all the way to bottom.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • acamp, hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,094 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,347 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
  Any Online Free Master Degree? JesterRigid 15 5,426 09-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany nyvrem 32 11,446 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,447 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,430 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM