Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC no letter grade SL
If you do not want a letter grade from SL courses when you transfer to COSC (because you barely passed). Can you transfer through ACE? What is the story with study.com classee? Is there a letter grade for those if transferred directly? If so, is there the option to transfer through ACE?
(12-05-2018, 09:26 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: If you do not want a letter grade from SL courses when you transfer to COSC (because you barely passed). Can you transfer through ACE? What is the story with study.com classee? Is there a letter grade for those if transferred directly? If so, is there the option to transfer through ACE?

I believe any courses transferred directly to COSC will earn a letter grade (from both SL and SDC) but if you go through ACE they will come in as credit without a grade.

I almost went to COSC just so I could get the graded credits. IMO, having graded credits is handy for GPA purposes so your GPA isn't based solely on your capstone. Having the graded credits may also be helpful if one wants to go on to a masters program later. Though stuff like that can be worked around in other ways.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I guess it can go both ways, increasing or decreasing your GPA. I like ASU earned access, you only pay after you know your grade. No harm in trying (and maybe doing poorly), financially or with a bad grade "on the books". Wasn`t there something that COSC only accepts credits from study.com directly and not any more through ACE?
(12-05-2018, 10:16 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Wasn`t there something that COSC only accepts credits from study.com directly and not any more through ACE?

That's TESU
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ok, thanks.
My daughter received a B in SL US Gov't class and didn't want the grade on her COSC transcript so she used the ACE transcript. It transferred in as a "Pass."
Her COSC transcript says she earned a 4.0 GPA.
(12-05-2018, 09:26 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: If you do not want a letter grade from SL courses when you transfer to COSC (because you barely passed). Can you transfer through ACE? What is the story with study.com classee? Is there a letter grade for those if transferred directly? If so, is there the option to transfer through ACE?

All of my son's SL courses are only credit because we did it that way. So, yes you can.

I think, though haven't confirmed, that you could cherry pick the higher grades and have them sent through SL to COSC. But, for sure ACE comes in pass/fail. (technically will only come in as pass since there is no way to put a failing grade on your ACE transcript lol)

Edit- as I sit here, I'm thinking about having SL send my son's As and Bs over to COSC and request a re-eval of those courses. We didn't do it initially because he got many Cs and I didn't want to mess with it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. I'll update if we can do this or not.

____

Done- I've selected the SL courses for his transcript and sent the request. I sent an email to COSC advising. We'll see what they say. He has 21 SL courses finished, and I want grades for only 8 of them (ones that I think *could* be grad school graded credit prereqs later- I told them as much in the request)
(12-06-2018, 11:25 PM)cookderosa Wrote: ...
Edit-  as I sit here, I'm thinking about having SL send my son's As and Bs over to COSC and request a re-eval of those courses.  We didn't do it initially because he got many Cs and I didn't want to mess with it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.  I'll update if we can do this or not.

____

Done- I've selected the SL courses for his transcript and sent the request.  I sent an email to COSC advising.  We'll see what they say.  He has 21 SL courses finished, and I want grades for only 8 of them (ones that I think *could* be grad school graded credit prereqs later- I told them as much in the request)

Are you sure the SL transcript won't just list everything despite your request?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-07-2018, 03:05 PM)davewill Wrote:
Edit-  as I sit here, I'm thinking about having SL send my son's As and Bs over to COSC and request a re-eval of those courses.  We didn't do it initially because he got many Cs and I didn't want to mess with it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.  I'll update if we can do this or not.

____

Done- I've selected the SL courses for his transcript and sent the request.  I sent an email to COSC advising.  We'll see what they say.  He has 21 SL courses finished, and I want grades for only 8 of them (ones that I think *could* be grad school graded credit prereqs later- I told them as much in the request)

Yes, that I'm sure of. You have to manually tick box the classes you want included. I rec'd a copy via email today and it had only the classes I selected.
(12-07-2018, 09:57 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 03:05 PM)davewill Wrote:

____

Yes, that I'm sure of. You have to manually tick box the classes you want included.  I rec'd a copy via email today and it had only the classes I selected.

Didn't one of dfrecore's kids (or was it someone else's?) have an issue with this? They selected specific courses, but SL goofed and sent EVERYTHING over, hurting their overall GPA?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,678 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,283 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,640 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,161 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso