Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Math classes on Study.com any good?
(12-19-2018, 07:02 PM)gamebradie Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 06:17 PM)davewill Wrote: Whatever provider or study source you choose, I urge you to supplement with a good textbook and solutions manual. Mastering math requires doing lots of problems, and if you're teaching yourself, then the solutions manual is priceless. Note: a solutions manual is different from just having answers like the back of a math textbook usually has. The solutions manual will actually walk you through HOW to solve the problems. I don't think I would have gotten through Discrete Math without one. Luckily, textbooks are dirt cheap (like $10 shipped) if you don't have to buy a particular (new) edition and don't care if it's used.

What's a good book for the required math classes for the CS degree?

Openstax has free online textbooks for math up through calculus. Not sure if they have solutions manuals.

I have had success using free online math solvers like this one: https://www.mathpapa.com/equation-solver/
To show me step by step how to do problems I struggle with. I know they have some that work for calculus/differential equations as well. Btw I don't remember exactly which free sites/apps I used but it shouldn't be too hard to find with Google.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • graduatesoon, neutrino
There are a few math classes that ladder up the knowledge, from free to $70/course. If you want to save up some cash vs taking it from these providers, MS/CLEP is the way to go. If it was for me, I would take a few courses (enough for the ASNSM Math) and place it into the Gen Ed or Free Electives.

MS/CLEP College Math - 6 credits at TESU, Math 102/Math 103
MS/CLEP College Algebra, PreCalculus, Calculus I - 10 credits
TESU CLEP List: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

ALEKS College Algebra & Trigonometry - 6 credits, Math 121/Math 129
CSMLearn Quantitative Reasoning - 3 credits Math (may duplicate Math 119)
Study.com Calculus I, Discrete Math, Geometry, Statistics - 15 credits total
See Under Math: https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • gamebradie, graduatesoon
I dont think SDC math courses are good at all for learning.

Aleks is good for Algebra and Trig. For college algebra I seriously cant recommend Sophia enough! To date its still the most consistent and well put together math course I have done anywhere.

I was doing the Calculus on SDC and stopped it with one module to go to learn Calc for myself through SL as it really didnt feel rigorous at all with study.com.

If you plan on doing grad school putting in the extra work now will pay off, all the fun stuff use higher level math. SL has Calc I and II though the material is inconsistent.

I think SL Calculus is better option and since I'm doing ASNSM Math at the same time Calc I and II at SL is better as its 8 credits vs 6 from SDC not to mention it is watered down.

If you need extra math courses Geometry and a few lower level math courses on SDC fit well into an ASNSM if you need it.

I agree with bjcheng77 if you're doing the CS degree doing the ASNSM in Math is a good choice. Calc II, Stats, Precalc, Geometry and something else should be about enough additional classes to get you that degree.

Though I didnt offically finish the SDC course it is for non-stem majors and dosent preapare you for Calc II. If you want to stop at Calc then SDC is the best option, else the resources others mentioned here cant be beat.

Also decide if you really want to learn or pass. If I rush through calc right now I will pass, but I want to undersrand the stuff.

I found professor Leonard on Youtube and went through his lectures now I'm doing '1001 Calculus practice problems for dummies', its written by PatrickJMT (he is awesome for math!)

Also if you want to get a working knowledge of Calc check out 'Highlights of Calculus' or 'Big Picture of Calculus' by Prof. Gil Strang from MIT. It is really really helpful the way he explains things.

After hearing him talk with the guy who created math lab I took a detour and started learning linear algebra on my own btw the book 'No Bullshit guide to Linear Algebra' get you up to speed wickedly fast! And I actually stopped working on the Calc cause linear algebra is so fascinating! I wish I could find a cheap course somewhere for it!

Also the book Handbook of Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers was recommended to me and its fun to look at higher math concepts its very dense and compact.

Oh one more thing a fun series on youtube 'imaginary numbers are real' really helped me with some visualization stuff and gave me that 'aha' moment with visualizing stuff. Its nice to watch.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 4 users Like armstrongsubero's post:
  • gamebradie, graduatesoon, mysonx3, Sapientes
Only goes through Algebra (also has Stats, but I haven't used that one personally), but YayMath.org was an incredibly helpful resource for me in taking the College Math and College Algebra CLEPs. Absolutely love those videos. Really wish he would do a Calculus series, but it's more geared towards high school so not sure that will ever happen.

Basically I think the main point is that your best bet is that the for-credit options are not the best options for learning when it comes to math, and if you really want a strong foundation you should use the many not-for-credit options that have been listed here (and countless others) and then do whatever's convenient for earning the credit. I will say, however, that I thought the videos (at least the ones I've gotten through so far) for SL Calc I were very good (if hugely cringe-worthy). The explanations for the practice problems were not great though.

I second the wish for a cheap Linear Algebra course or exam. C'mon providers, make it happen for us!

Edit: after posting I realized I already said the part about the for-credit options not being the best for learning earlier in this thread. Sorry for the redundancy!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-19-2018, 07:02 PM)gamebradie Wrote: What's a good book for the required math classes for the CS degree?

For Discrete Math, I used the Kenneth Rosen book. Just Google "Discrete Math Rosen".
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 273 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 215 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 701 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 357 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,146 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 976 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,225 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,080 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane