Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
February LIB-495 Capstone
(02-01-2019, 01:47 PM)zzzz24 Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 01:39 PM)vetvso Wrote: I took an old essay from 2009 and turned it into my capstone.

I thought of that too, but most of my previous assignments from years ago back in college were no where close to this level of writing.

The old essay does not really replace any new work but provides an idea you can build around. Assuming you have an ongoing interest in this idea and can develop questions that relate to your interest. I did use some of my old info re-worked in my intro and made sure to cite the old paper and it was in my references. The citation is very important since you are still plagiarizing even if you wrote it unless it is cited.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
For sure, but I didn't really see anything that was worthwhile, most assignments were related that specific course and not really something I was personally interested in.

It's the amount of scholarly research that is the issue for me for this assignment. There are certain things I wouldn't mind researching and discussing, but I don't think they have enough scholarly research, although there would for sure would be enough information to find on the internet about the topics.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
I’m in the February capstone with Otto. I haven’t looked at the online course yet. I received three emails today from the instructor, none of which made sense. I’m feeling unprepared.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(02-01-2019, 11:08 PM)Tripletmom Wrote: I’m in the February capstone with Otto. I haven’t looked at the online course yet. I received three emails today from the instructor, none of which made sense. I’m feeling unprepared.

I just took him and you just need to follow the syllabus and begin creating your main question and three sub-questions. You will need to post in the forum 1 and 2 and he will provide you with feedback.

(02-01-2019, 11:21 PM)vetvso Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 11:08 PM)Tripletmom Wrote: I’m in the February capstone with Otto. I haven’t looked at the online course yet. I received three emails today from the instructor, none of which made sense. I’m feeling unprepared.

I just took him and you just need to follow the syllabus and begin creating your main question and three sub-questions. You will need to post in the forum 1 and 2 and he will provide you with feedback.
I posted about my time with Otto here. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...one-Course
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
You got this! I was poking around looking at lots of stuff tonight. I found the individual assignment for Module 1 to be very helpful. (I haven’t looked at the rest yet.) It has the basic structure for what the chapter needs to have in it and some guidelines for what that means. It helped me have at least an idea of where I’m headed with this and I think will give more clarity to the thesis topic.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
If I wanted to learn more about a particular country/culture, are questions relating to cultural attractions, cuisine, etc too basic?
I guess they would need to be really narrowed down?

I tend to enjoy learning about that kind of stuff vs an issue, but I am assuming I would probably have to go that route instead...
Credits:
(02-02-2019, 10:23 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: If I wanted to learn more about a particular country/culture, are questions relating to cultural attractions, cuisine, etc too basic?

I tend to enjoy learning about that kind of stuff vs an issue, but I am assuming I would probably have to go that route instead...

As long as it answers a question that requires those items of research it should work. It's just a matter of having your question setup and approved.
(02-05-2019, 05:36 PM)vetvso Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 10:23 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: If I wanted to learn more about a particular country/culture, are questions relating to cultural attractions, cuisine, etc too basic?

As long as it answers a question that requires those items of research it should work. It's just a matter of having your question setup and approved.

I think it works for your topic easier because it is a culture from the past vs. me discussing a culture that already exists. 
It seems too broad for me to just discuss facts of an existing culture without really diving into a distinct question/issue about it.
Credits:
Does anyone have any advice on how to organize/keep track of your research materials and notes?

From skimming through the sample papers, it seems that there are very few in text quotations and people are mainly citing sources to back up their statements. This is much different than what I did for my SDC papers, and my the mentor made it clear that these citations need to be perfect, so I want to be sure I'm understanding the process. When you're going through a resource, is it best to copy off quotes with their respective pages or general ideas and the pages? Or perhaps write a paraphrase of key ideas and what pages they're from? I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep track of things so I can cite them properly. I am currently planning on sifting through a lot of sources from a place that doesn't loan out material, so I need to make sure I get it right so I don't have to go through the trouble of going back just to check a page number or figure out what source exactly I pulled it from!

Secondly, because there seems to be a lot of overlap between papers, would you recommend working on any of them as you come across the material or just work on one at a time?
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
(02-05-2019, 07:05 PM)TexasTink Wrote: Does anyone have any advice on how to organize/keep track of your research materials and notes?

From skimming through the sample papers, it seems that there are very few in text quotations and people are mainly citing sources to back up their statements.  This is much different than what I did for my SDC papers, and my the mentor made it clear that these citations need to be perfect, so I want to be sure I'm understanding the process.  When you're going through a resource, is it best to copy off quotes with their respective pages or general ideas and the pages?  Or perhaps write a paraphrase of key ideas and what pages they're from?  I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep track of things so I can cite them properly.  I am currently planning on sifting through a lot of sources from a place that doesn't loan out material, so I need to make sure I get it right so I don't have to go through the trouble of going back just to check a page number or figure out what source exactly I pulled it from!

Secondly, because there seems to be a lot of overlap between papers, would you recommend working on any of them as you come across the material or just work on one at a time?

I did each chapter one at a time. My mentor then graded and provided valuable details of improvement for each chapter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,325 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,038 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,143 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 876 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 661 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 872 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 1,969 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,655 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne