Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest and Fastest PHD or Psyd Psychology or Social Work
University of West Georgia and University of the Cumberlands do offer online doctoral programs. The OP did not say that the PhD has to be in psychology.

UWG offers a fully online EdD in Counseling and Supervision. 

https://www.westga.edu/uwgonline/academic_programs.php

University of the Cumberlands' online PsyD is currently not accepting applications, but they offer an online EdD and PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. They actually offer several online doctoral programs, and several people at Degreeinfo.com are in them.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/graduate
https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...upervision
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-12-2019, 09:32 AM)sanantone Wrote: University of West Georgia and University of the Cumberlands do offer online doctoral programs. The OP did not say that the PhD has to be in psychology.

UWG offers a fully online EdD in Counseling and Supervision. 

https://www.westga.edu/uwgonline/academic_programs.php

University of the Cumberlands' online PsyD is currently not accepting applications, but they offer an online EdD and PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. They actually offer several online doctoral programs, and several people at Degreeinfo.com are in them.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/graduate
https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...upervision
Thanks for that clarification, S.A.T.!
UCumberlands is cheap too. It's one of the fastest if you have the transfer credits from an incomplete Masters. If you don't, it's 3 years which is still fast. They have synchronous course meetings, so the schedule is less flexible. If it matters, it's not a PhD in Counseling Education & Supervision. It's a PhD in Educational Leadership Degree with a specialization in Counseling Education & Supervision. They also have a PhD in Leadership and with a Psychology specialization.

(02-12-2019, 01:27 PM)Ideas Wrote: UCumberlands is cheap too. It's one of the fastest if you have the transfer credits from an incomplete Masters. If you don't, it's 3 years which is still fast. They have synchronous course meetings, so the schedule is less flexible. If it matters, it's not a PhD in Counseling Education & Supervision. It's a PhD in Educational Leadership Degree with a specialization in Counseling Education & Supervision. They also have a PhD in Leadership and with a Psychology specialization.

Thanks for filling in a few blanks. I'd only known that they were, indeed, inexpensive, at least for regionally-accredited, and had excellent transfer-in allowance, but for undergrad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slobodon's post:
  • Ideas
The bonus with University of the Cumberlands is that the counseling education and supervision programs are CACREP-accredited.

If one wanted to do one of the other doctoral programs that allows for a concentration in psychology, one could earn master's-level psychology credits cheaply from Capella's flexpath programs. Just don't do the capstone so that you don't finish the masters.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Ideas
(02-12-2019, 02:10 PM)sanantone Wrote: The bonus with University of the Cumberlands is that the counseling education and supervision programs are CACREP-accredited.

If one wanted to do one of the other doctoral programs that allows for a concentration in psychology, one could earn master's-level psychology credits cheaply from Capella's flexpath programs. Just don't do the capstone so that you don't finish the masters.
Yes, isn't that the oddly smart thing to do, once out every few hundred circumstances...when it's the best thing to NOT finish a program!

Seems so counterintuitive, but, true. It's why, a few years ago, on this site, I posed a question about not finishing a banking undergraduate degree. I received strong urging to get it done, but - of course, people didn't have all the pieces I did - it turned out to be the best thing to not finish that program, at that time, for an option, later on...
(02-12-2019, 02:15 PM)Slobodon Wrote: Seems so counterintuitive, but, true. It's why, a few years ago, on this site, I posed a question about not finishing a banking undergraduate degree. I received strong urging to get it done, but - of course, people didn't have all the pieces I did - it turned out to be the best thing to not finish that program, at that time, for an option, later on...

What kind of option later on? Transferring to another program?

(02-12-2019, 03:10 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 02:15 PM)Slobodon Wrote: Seems so counterintuitive, but, true. It's why, a few years ago, on this site, I posed a question about not finishing a banking undergraduate degree. I received strong urging to get it done, but - of course, people didn't have all the pieces I did - it turned out to be the best thing to not finish that program, at that time, for an option, later on...

What kind of option later on? Transferring to another program?

'zackly!
(02-12-2019, 01:01 AM)Sagan Wrote: No doctorate is fast. None are easy. None are cheap.

The costs are enormous. Not just in terms of tuition and fees, but in terms of time, sacrifice, and opportunity costs. It is a multi-year effort that will draw you in, and draw you away from almost every other aspect of your life.

Doing a doctorate is hard. Doing it for strong motivational reasons is hard enough. Doing for vanity is fraught with danger. When the goal is far away, when the costs stack up, when the fun is gone (and doesn't seem like it will ever return), it helps to remember the deep and meaningful reasons one had for doing it. It can get pretty dark as it is, but if that motivational light goes out, you could get lost.

Doing a doctorate is different than other degrees. You can do a bachelor's or master's by just showing up and doing what you are told. But doing a doctorate means you'll have to identify your niche, your place in your part of the scholarly world, and THEN create the work good/significant/original enough to fill it. That's a tall order; many doctoral students never finish. The boneyard of failed doctorates is littered with the remains of people who didn't have a passion for it. They just signed up and did what they were told to do...until the part where they had to take over.

Doing a doctorate means forming or advancing your professional identity. You will be the result of that work for a very long time--possibly even the rest of your life. It should have more meaning that something you did to get a few more customers or to use the title "doctor." That's not a value judgment. What I'm saying throughout this message is that it likely won't be enough to see you through.

This is why I like the system used by the British (and in many countries), where the candidate has to prove his/her mettle and readiness to do doctoral research BEFORE being admitted to the degree. In the US, one can go years without having the first clue, then BAM! The dissertation comes and destroys you. It's really late in the game to begin figuring things out. Many never do.

Those are some very strong points. Thank you!

(02-12-2019, 02:10 PM)sanantone Wrote: The bonus with University of the Cumberlands is that the counseling education and supervision programs are CACREP-accredited.

The Cumberlands PhD in Leadership with Counseling Education & Supervision specialization seems like a very strong choice. Thanks for pointing it out.

$26,400, 6 semesters a year, you can do 2 classes each semester, it seems that I would be able to finish in under 2 years total!

Need to look at it more.

As for the other point you made: If one wanted to do one of the other doctoral programs that allows for a concentration in psychology, one could earn master's-level psychology credits cheaply from Capella's flexpath programs. Just don't do the capstone so that you don't finish the masters.

Would you be able to elaborate?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Least Expensive Doctorates in Psychology, Counseling, or Other Mental Health fields eLearner 12 977 01-21-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: eLearner
Question Absolute cheapest online JD program? Randyb100 22 11,443 10-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: nkout1983
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 6 1,633 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,260 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Masters/PhD in Psychology/Neuroscience options Supermind 23 6,502 07-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Online Ph.D. Psychology or PsyD romoh 16 3,725 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Fastest PHD, DBA, etc Johmford 11 3,395 02-23-2019, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Online EdD in Psychology, No Dissertation sanantone 2 2,526 12-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  Inexpensive Psychology PhD Options? rowan555 5 2,760 12-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Last Post: AJ_Atlanta