Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certificate at TESU
Was curious how the Certificates are viewed-- is it like saying you have a 'minor' in (insert Cert name here)?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to utilize my time, having everything done for the BSBA GM, except for the Capstone, and still have time on the clock before graduating in Sept. I've got all of this momentum and no more classes to complete for the BSBA. I don't do well at idle. LOL

ALSO-- hubby has TONS of ACE credit that TESU suggested he change his BSBA plan to BS Tech Studies-- but none are UL and he's got no real interest in Com Sci to complete the UL's. Can he then potentially just use those courses to get an Associates and/or Cert-- on top of graduating this Sept with his BSBA?

As always--- thank you!
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
I'm confused about the part about switching from a BSBA to tech studies? If you are so close to a BSBA why switch? Have you tried running an evaluation on the BS in tech studies and talking to a counselor about that? I've heard from this fourm that sometimes for that major they will sometime come in as UL.
(02-12-2019, 06:35 PM)natshar Wrote: I'm confused about the part about switching from a BSBA to tech studies? If you are so close to a BSBA why switch? Have you tried running an evaluation on the BS in tech studies and talking to a counselor about that? I've heard from this fourm that sometimes for that major they will sometime come in as UL.

She's the one who is almost done with a BSBA. Her husband is the one who might switch to a BS Tech Studies.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-12-2019, 06:35 PM)natshar Wrote: I'm confused about the part about switching from a BSBA to tech studies? If you are so close to a BSBA why switch? Have you tried running an evaluation on the BS in tech studies and talking to a counselor about that? I've heard from this fourm that sometimes for that major they will sometime come in as UL.

Oh sorry for the confusion--

During Hubbys initial eval they mentioned his credits would be better served if he went for a Tech Studies degree instead of the selected BSBA. We looked up the eval in the 'what if' scenario thru TESU and he was basically finished with the Tech Stud degree because they slot in everything, regardless of it being UL or LL. So-- it wasn't an accurate eval and somewhat misleading IMO. Either way, he's got most everything done for his BSBA-- and I wonder if there's still a way to use his Technical Studies (automotive) ACE credits towards a 'minor'/certificate OR an Associates (another capstone is ok). 

We tried researching UL course options to get a 2nd degree- BS Tech Studies, but can't find anything but Computer Science courses. Ideally, I was hoping to find test-out options for UL technical stuff, ie., CAD, 3-D printing, Electrical related test, Mechanical related test.
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
(02-12-2019, 06:30 PM)scout2family Wrote: Was curious how the Certificates are viewed-- is it like saying you have a 'minor' in (insert Cert name here)?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the best way to utilize my time, having everything done for the BSBA GM, except for the Capstone, and still have time on the clock before graduating in Sept. I've got all of this momentum and no more classes to complete for the BSBA. I don't do well at idle. LOL

ALSO-- hubby has TONS of ACE credit that TESU suggested he change his BSBA plan to BS Tech Studies-- but none are UL and he's got no real interest in Com Sci to complete the UL's. Can he then potentially just use those courses to get an Associates and/or Cert-- on top of graduating this Sept with his BSBA?

As always--- thank you!

How undergrad certificate courses are viewed depends on the viewer. As a hiring manager, I see those as equivalent to an area of concentration (additional major or minor) or the same as an associates degree in the subject. They can also be seen as a way to fill in any gaps in your academic profile or to demonstrate skill areas outside of your declared major.

I know others who don't really see undergrad certificates as valuable at all, they only care about grad certificates and only if they relate directly to the job description. In those cases, if you are using an undergrad cert to help give you a leg up, you may have to convince someone how it adds value.

If your husband has extra tech credits and is already interested in pursuing a BSBA, he might want to look at the CIS AOS either instead of, or in addition to the existing AOS. Though if all the extra courses are LL, that might not be too useful since you really only need 6 LL credits in the AOS. Alternatively, he could use them in an associate degree (like the ASNSM as I did). My guess is that unless they are specifically aligned with an existing undergrad cert they probably won't be too useful. Lastly, many LL tech-related credits (CS courses for example) can also be used to fill in as GenEd courses if he can't find another solution for them.

Edit: Just saw your update, if the extre credits are in automotive engineering then yeah those won't be useful in as a CIS AOS or in terms of GenEd courses. But it sounds like your husband doesn't need them anyway. A second degree may be the way to go if he wants to use them, but it will most likely mean paying for and completing two capstones as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
The certificates are pretty much the same number of credits as an AOS or major within the BSBA, so I kind of considered them as an additional major within the degree, although that is not technically what they are.
(02-12-2019, 07:10 PM)eriehiker Wrote: The certificates are pretty much the same number of credits as an AOS or major within the BSBA, so I kind of considered them as an additional major within the degree, although that is not technically what they are.

With the BSBA degrees, the major is business administration. The AOS is the equivalent of a concentration. A typical college major is 30+ credits. For employment purposes with the federal government, 24+ credits is the equivalent of a major. The AOS in the BSBA is 18 credits, and most of the certificates are 18 credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • eriehiker
(02-12-2019, 06:56 PM)Merlin Wrote: How undergrad certificate courses are viewed depends on the viewer. As a hiring manager, I see those as equivalent to an area of concentration (additional major or minor) or the same as an associates degree in the subject. They can also be seen as a way to fill in any gaps in your academic profile or to demonstrate skill areas outside of your declared major.

I know others who don't really see undergrad certificates as valuable at all, they only care about grad certificates and only if they relate directly to the job description. In those cases, if you are using an undergrad cert to help give you a leg up, you may have to convince someone how it adds value.

If your husband has extra tech credits and is already interested in pursuing a BSBA, he might want to look at the CIS AOS either instead of, or in addition to the existing AOS. Though if all the extra courses are LL, that might not be too useful since you really only need 6 LL credits in the AOS. Alternatively, he could use them in an associate degree (like the ASNSM as I did). My guess is that unless they are specifically aligned with an existing undergrad cert they probably won't be too useful. Lastly, many LL tech-related credits (CS courses for example) can also be used to fill in as GenEd courses if he can't find another solution for them.

Edit: Just saw your update, if the extre credits are in automotive engineering then yeah those won't be useful in as a CIS AOS or in terms of GenEd courses. But it sounds like your husband doesn't need them anyway. A second degree may be the way to go if he wants to use them, but it will most likely mean paying for and completing two capstones as well.
At this point- hubby is being 'held back' from moving up the ladder at the automotive mfr he works at, for not having the piece of paper (aka degree). He has MORE experience than most others that have degrees, yet HR is giving pushback when it comes time to move up. I'm thinking he's come this far and worked this hard to get where he's at-- 4 UL classes and another capstone should help with that 'leg up'. 

Just sucks that the only options are Computer Science courses (no offense Merlin!) and TESU isn't much help with providing info on alternative courses to help fulfill the Tech Studies area. He's always been good with computers, for a home-user. He taught himself CAD and does 3-D printing-- just not sure if Computer Science is a lot to put on his plate, since it's not his profession.

― Captain Jack Sparrow
scout2family, I have questions for you... there are so many options to go about this, it all boils down to energy/money/time...
1) Did TESU indicate that the "What if" evaluation was incorrect and the Tech Studies courses he has transferred are all lower level?
2) Since it's 4 UL and a capstone course away from a BS Tech Studies, he may want both degrees, if your hubby get tuition reimbursement!
3) Does your hubby already have either Chem I & II with lab or Physics I & II with lab? The BS Tech degree requires science labs.
4) The 4 UL courses actually are Computer Info System courses that can be used in the BSBA CIS degree as well, it's not purely Comp Sci.
So, instead of going for a BSBA GM/CIS, he can go for a BSBA GM plus a BS Tech Studies degree and use the comprehensive tuition for taking missing classes at TESU
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • natshar
Ah I understand now. Well I guess it makes sense to just finish the BSBA then.

Also, there are is the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity DSST which comes into TESU as CIS-344 Computer Security. I think that would count as UL tech studies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 696 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy