Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters Not a Good Idea
(02-19-2019, 03:00 PM)amilitab4k9 Wrote: They want only a Bachelors or a PhD

what in the world
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
That's interesting because Intel has an internship specifically for people pursing a master's degree in engineering. They also have job announcements on LinkedIn asking for a master's degree in engineering.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=f55702...serp&vjs=3
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Intel is a vast company, with multiple offices, products, eng departments, I would not put that statement as being a global thing.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(02-19-2019, 12:20 AM)bluebooger Wrote: > I know with teaching if you get a masters right away it can hurt 

depends on where you teach doesn't it ? 
don't some places require a masters in education ?

This refers to teaching k-12 where a bachelor's is the required degree and a masters brings a pay bump, thus schools aren't huge fans of bringing in people with master's degrees because the applicant pool of those with just a bachelor's is good. Smart teachers pursue a master's once they are in a "secure" position with a district and don't plan to change jobs.
(02-19-2019, 04:06 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 12:20 AM)bluebooger Wrote: > I know with teaching if you get a masters right away it can hurt 

This refers to teaching k-12 where a bachelor's is the required degree and a masters brings a pay bump, thus schools aren't huge fans of bringing in people with master's degrees because the applicant pool of those with just a bachelor's is good.  Smart teachers pursue a master's once they are in a "secure" position with a district and don't plan to change jobs.

Exactly. That's the reason I started this thread. My mom was talking about my sister who is almost done with her Bachelors in teaching. She was discouraging her from getting her masters in teaching right away. Schools don't want to give the masters degree pay rate if they don't have to, especially if the teacher is a new teacher. That's why mom (who works for a school district) was saying how she's heard from multiple people that when choosing between two teachers (both either brand new or little experience) they will most likely choose the one with the bachelor's degree over the one with masters. This is k-12 obviously college is a whole different ball game.
(02-19-2019, 03:41 PM)posabsolute Wrote: Intel is a vast company, with multiple offices, products, eng departments, I would not put that statement as being a global thing.

I didn't mean it as a global thing for the whole company. It was just an example of a situation where a Masters is more of a hindrance. That was 10 years ago in a specific department, I'm sure the entire company is not exactly the same and has quite a variety of needs.

(02-19-2019, 03:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: That's interesting because Intel has an internship specifically for people pursing a master's degree in engineering. They also have job announcements on LinkedIn asking for a master's degree in engineering.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=f55702...serp&vjs=3

Intel is a large company. I'm sure not all of the departments work the same as the one he was talking to. It was just an example, not a statement of how the entire company is run.
(02-18-2019, 09:08 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I've heard from MANY nurses that a master's in nursing *especially a NP* without several years of experience as an RN is a terrible idea.
Yes, but now a days there are many reputed programs such as UCSF and Samuel Merit, who have Entry Level Master of Science in Nursing with NP specialization. I understand their point but when there is a need in market, there would be a training for the career. 

[url=https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/elms_nursing][/url]
You don't necessarily need to be in a Business career to get an MBA. A lot of people that get MBA are not business majors but come from other careers. At my job my manager has a Bachelors in Engineering and holds an MBA. A lot of the nurses get MBAs and many become the directors and managers for nursing units.
Matter of fact a general Business degree in something like management is close to useless straight out of college. One of my economics Professors made a point of telling Business Administration majors to look for something else. Accounting and finance are an exception to that. In Accounting though you are probably better off getting your CPA unless you want to teach later on.
Where a Business degree is useful is when you have a career and experience already and need to move up. A lot of tradesmen and people in careers like IT could really stand out from the rest if they get BSBA or even an MBA.
(02-19-2019, 04:06 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

This refers to teaching k-12 where a bachelor's is the required degree and a masters brings a pay bump, thus schools aren't huge fans of bringing in people with master's degrees because the applicant pool of those with just a bachelor's is good.  Smart teachers pursue a master's once they are in a "secure" position with a district and don't plan to change jobs.

In New York, to teach K-12, a Master's degree is required to move on to the Professional certificate (you can only get an Initial teaching certificate valid for 5 years with a Bachelor's degree), so getting the Master's degree in education will not hurt you in states like NY. I was surprised when I moved to NC and discovered that a bachelor's degree was all that is needed here. 
HOWEVER, it still might be wise to wait until you're employed before seeking the Master's degree, for example when you teach for NYC you are part of the union and they have subsidized Master's degree programs for their members. http://www.uft.org/teaching/master-degree-programs
Unfortunately no - only free college for an associates degree through EGCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 277 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 495 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 266 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,098 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,974 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,629 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 522 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,591 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,135 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,275 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3