Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help desperately needed w/ picking a school and making a plan. Any help appreciated!!
I've been checking out the forums for years, but don't have super up-to-date info and would appreciate absolutely any help in making a plan!  [Image: smile.png]  I have read through the wiki, etc., but I am going through a LOT medically and emotionally and am overwhelmed and afraid that I'll make a dumb mistake in planning that will derail everything. I'm an unemployed, recently divorced (due to domestic violence) single mom with 3 children w/ special needs. I've been out of the workforce for the past 15 yrs raising children, so a degree is necessary for me to secure a job that pays me enough to even afford childcare for my youngest child. 

Here's my situation. Basically, because I changed majors a few times, I feel like I have a lot of random credits. Because of that, I can't tell what degree would be the least expensive/easiest for me to obtain.I have a full $6000 Pell Grant. I just applied to NMJC so I can earn credits there, but am expecting to get additional leftover funds that can go towards testing, etc for my other credits needed. Like many others, my hope is to earn a bachelors degree in the least amount of time possible for the least amount of out of pocket expense. I am hoping to get a degree from either TESC or Charter Oak. I just haven't figured out which one makes more sense for me financially and credit-wise. If it effects anything, I should add that I would love to go for a masters degree in Public Health one day. If anyone could help me put together a roadmap to a degree, I'd even happily pay you something. I'm so desperate. Thanks again!  [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] 
Here are the credits I have:

*71 credits from regular colleges for courses taken back in 1998-2001 (listed below)
*9 Clep Credits (6 credits math, 3 credits english I I believe)
* 6 FEMA Credits 

SS151- Principals of Macroeconomics (3)
SS152- Principals of Microeconomics (3)

SS271- Abnormal Psychology (3)
PSY100- Intro to Psychology (3)
SOC101- Sociological Imagination (3)
ENG152- English II (3)
SC161- Biology I (4)

SC181- General Chemistry I (4)
SC232- Microbiology (4)
BIO100- Life Science: Human Emphasis (3)
BIO116- Principles of Biology- Evolution to Ecology (4, but only got a D in this class) 
BIO116L- Principles of Biology Lab II 
HPE110- Applied Modern Health I (2)
NU169- Success In Nursing (1)
HIS150- World History to 1500 (3)
H172- Western Civilization II (3)
COM104- Speech Communication (3)

COM100- Mass Media Communications (3)
BU134- Principals of Marketing (3)
MCOM214- Principles of Advertising (3)

MCOM411- Comm Process (3)
GER200- German III (3)
PHL101- Logic and Language (3)
THE199- The Arts in Contemporary Civilization (3)
MUS127- Instrumental Ensemble- Band (1 credit)
Whoops! I think I posted this in the wrong forum. Apologies!
From looking at your credits you maybe close to a bio degree at TESU. I'm not super familiar with Excelsior
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • sharsharky
(03-12-2019, 10:15 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: From looking at your  credits you maybe close to a bio degree at TESU. I'm not super familiar with Excelsior

Thanks so much! I'm not sure how that works since I figured a bio degree would have lots of labs and stuff. It's great to see that I have some options though! :Smile Thanks again!
I checked out TESUs Biology bachelors i think the only lab that's a little harder to find is organic chemistry. The other two labs can be done for pretty cheap through straighterline at home. There are a few other degrees that may fit your credits
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(03-12-2019, 10:41 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I checked out TESUs Biology bachelors i think the only lab that's a little harder to find  is organic chemistry. The other two labs can be done for pretty cheap through straighterline at home. There are a few other degrees that may fit your credits

I know that here, Org Chem is available at community colleges.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
UNE offers organic chemistry with lab. You're pretty far away from a biology degree from TESU. Excelsior has a more flexible natural science degree, but you're going to need a lot more UL credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Since you mentioned COSC, I quickly determined what I think you would need for a business administration degree at COSC.

Business Ethics (Upper Level), A US history course (Upper Level), Global Understanding course (Upper Level), Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Principles of Management, Management Information Systems, Finance Management, Organizational Behavior (Upper Level), Cornerstone (COSC), Capstone (COSC – Upper Level), Business Statistics, Two Upper Level Business Courses, Two additional Upper Level courses.  

This is 17 courses. Someone else may be able to find something more suitable for you.

Good luck!
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes topdog98's post:
  • sharsharky
Some general advice, you're not going to make a mistake between the big 3- the price and time difference between them is not enough that you should worry. Where you COULD make a mistake is by taking too many classes BEFORE picking because you want to make sure you align your classes with the degree you choose. So, step 1 is to pick a school. If you're really really stressing out, flip a coin and call it a day.

Step 2 is to look at the requirements for your degree/college and then figure out how you'll hit the upper level courses - that's the hard part, everything else is easy. If possible, use your CC classes for things that you don't mind studying or spending time on or that you need to develop. If you're getting a max Pell, you'll have to choose 8 classes (4 fall / 4 spring) and you'll be getting back about $4500. If you use your $4500 for your upper level credits (DSST and Study.com) you can still have money to spare. In addition, if you added 1 more semester for NEXT year, assuming you're still eligible for a full Pell, you could take another 4 and use the overage (about $2300) for your enrollment. Stretching to get most paid for vs going faster and having out of pocket is something you'll want to decide in advance. I used a Pell for 1 year at TESU (it used to be a little cheaper) and so I did stretch mine out a little longer that way, but kept my out of pocket very low that way.
(03-12-2019, 04:14 PM)topdog98 Wrote: Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate all your help! I think this is what I am going to do. I just need to search around on here to find the best source for each of these classes.  Smile  It feels so daunting, but I know it's doable! I just need to get started. Thanks again!

Since you mentioned COSC, I quickly determined what I think you would need for a business administration degree at COSC.

Business Ethics (Upper Level), A US history course (Upper Level), Global Understanding course (Upper Level), Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Principles of Management, Management Information Systems, Finance Management, Organizational Behavior (Upper Level), Cornerstone (COSC), Capstone (COSC – Upper Level), Business Statistics, Two Upper Level Business Courses, Two additional Upper Level courses.  

This is 17 courses. Someone else may be able to find something more suitable for you.

Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 277 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 411 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 215 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Interim & Future Plan - Machine Learning mweichert 6 341 03-18-2024, 03:45 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 783 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,577 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  Feedback on Paris Business School absamer 5 262 03-12-2024, 06:23 PM