Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU won't tell me what falls under "applied science and technology disciplines"?
Sad 
I'm having trouble getting some information from TESU regarding what falls under "other applied science and technology disciplines" .

Here, https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/technical-studies

It says:

B. Technical Discipline

Technical Courses:
A total of 12 area of study credits must be from 300 or 400 level courses

21 credits from a single discipline
    18 credits from other applied science and technology disciplines

I would assume these are the disciplines available below (based on the sidebar on the website):

Air Traffic Control
Aviation Flight Technology
Aviation Maintenance Technology
Aviation Management
Biomedical Electronics
Clinical Laboratory Science
Construction
Dental Hygiene
Electrical Technology
Electronics Systems Engineering Technology
Energy Systems Technology
Health Services Technology
Information Technology
Medical Imaging
Military Technology Leadership
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology
Nuclear Engineering Technology
Nuclear Medicine Technology
Radiation Protection
Radiation Protection/Health Physics
Radiation Therapy
Respiratory Care
(-minus this one)Technical Studies
(plus this one) Applied Sciences

I looked through the actual catalog, but I think there are more here. However when I asked for a list of the disciplines, the academic advisor sent me a list of APS courses. They later said that this was probably a mistake, but they just weren't going to tell me what qualified as "applied science and technology discipline" unless I applied/enrolled.

And I thought ... Well, that can't be right. They wouldn't even tell me if 18 credits of math could be used as the other discipline. I asked them to put in a request to list all possible disciplines and they said they would. I think they may be reluctant to this because they probably want people to combine disciplines that make sense. For example, they probably don't want dental hygiene people using nuclear energy stuff for their other 18 credits. Or, perhaps the list could be too long, ever-changing, or likely to have exceptions made.

I just found the whole thing very odd.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
I would expect that Math would NOT be considered an applied science or technology discipline. Honestly, I think advising is right in that it would make much more sense to decide which discipline(s) you WOULD possibly want a degree in, and then ask about those. If they say that the one you want to do is NOT compatible with this degree, then you can decide whether to change your degree or look for a different discipline.

It seems obvious that they don't have an exhaustive list easily available to give you.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-11-2019, 04:16 PM)davewill Wrote: I would expect that Math would NOT be considered an applied science or technology discipline. Honestly, I think advising is right in that it would make much more sense to decide which discipline(s) you WOULD possibly want a degree in, and then ask about those. If they say that the one you want to do is NOT compatible with this degree, then you can decide whether to change your degree or look for a different discipline.

It seems obvious that they don't have an exhaustive list easily available to give you.

I was thinking more like 'applied math'. I understand if there are too many to list, but they wouldn't even tell me if the list I provided were disciplines. In fact, they gave me wrong information about disciplines and led me farther away from the answer. 

It's okay. It's not urgent, but I was asking because I could avoid some classes by switching to technical studies, especially one I'm taking right now that I really don't like.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
The APS programs mainly are designed for those with professional licenses and certifications. Math is a liberal art and will likely not count as APS. The courses need to be related to a technical career. When I looked at the program a few years ago, the only credits that were easily obtainable by someone without a license were IT/CS/CIS/CAP and health science. Some biology courses might count if they're related to healthcare i.e. science of nutrition.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Unless it has changed the Technical Study category of choices were:

Health Studies
Electrical
Aviation
Architect/Design
Computer 
Engineering
Environmental
Fire Science
Nuclear
Automotive
Lab Animal Science

As a side note, SDC pathophysiology fit in this AOS, so some science courses should also work as sanatone mentioned above. The 18 credits can consist of any combination of the above categories. The Technical Core requires 2 UL courses (Capstone and Project Management) so you should only need 4 more UL courses. SDC does offer several UL CS courses, so that may be an easy way to meet your UL requirement.
(03-11-2019, 06:30 PM)shadowgem Wrote: Unless it has changed the Technical Study category of choices were:

Health Studies
Electrical
Aviation
Architect/Design
Computer 
Engineering
Environmental
Fire Science
Nuclear
Automotive
Lab Animal Science

As a side note, SDC pathophysiology fit in this AOS, so some science courses should also work as sanatone mentioned above. The 18 credits can consist of any combination of the above categories. The Technical Core requires 2 UL courses (Capstone and Project Management) so you should only need 4 more UL courses. SDC does offer several UL CS courses, so that may be an easy way to meet your UL requirement.
Interesting. Thanks!
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
Below is what I was told. I was disappointed to learn that the core Technical Studies couldn't be from the list of technical discipline. I will say that without applying you are unlikely to get a straight answer.

In the case of the Technical Studies program, the first of the sections involved in the core (i.e. 'Technical Studies 21SH') coursework is required from the CIS, COS or CMP subject areas.  As for the second area (i.e. 'Technical Studies 18SH') electives are selected from the following list:

APS-302 Customer Service a Practical Approach
APS-400 Occupational Safety and Health
APS-402 Applied Quality Management
AVF-303 Aviation Safety Management
AVF-472 Airport Management
AVT-301 Airline Management
AVT-306 Crew resource Management
CIS-301 Management Information Systems
CIS-311 Database Management
CIS-320 System Analysis and Design I
CIS-351 Software Engineering
CMP-354 Networking Technologies
COS-330 Computer Architecture
COS-451 Artificial Intelligence
CYB-320 Ethical Hacking
CYB-321 Digital Forensics Techniques and Practices
CYB-420 Critical Infrastructure Security
EGM-321 Thermodynamics
EGM-323 Heat Transfer
EGM-331 Fluid Mechanics
ELD-302 Digital Electronics
ELD-311 Microprocessors
ELD-400 Advanced Microprocessors
ELT-306 Solid State Devices and Circuits
ELT-307 Linear Integrated Circuits
ELT-308 Industrial Electronics
EUT-302 Gas Combustion
EUT-309 Gas Distribution
EUT-401 Regulatory Policy & Procedures
EUT-402 Applied Economic Analysis
HCM-307 Principles of Healthcare Management
HCM-308 Healthcare Legal and Ethical Considerations
NUC-303 Nuclear Physics for Technology
NUC-342 Radiological, Reactor & Environmental Safety
NUC-351 Nuclear Instrumentation & Control
NUC-365 Reactor Fundamentals
NUC-380 Nuclear Rules and Regulations
NUC-402 Nuclear Materials
NUC-412 Radiation Biophysics
NUC-413 Radiation Interactions

(03-11-2019, 06:30 PM)shadowgem Wrote: Unless it has changed the Technical Study category of choices were:

Health Studies
Electrical
Aviation
Architect/Design
Computer 
Engineering
Environmental
Fire Science
Nuclear
Automotive
Lab Animal Science

Do you know when this was communicated? In my experience, this was not the case but I would prefer it if it were.

(03-11-2019, 04:31 PM)udi Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 04:16 PM)davewill Wrote: I would expect that Math would NOT be considered an applied science or technology discipline. Honestly, I think advising is right in that it would make much more sense to decide which discipline(s) you WOULD possibly want a degree in, and then ask about those. If they say that the one you want to do is NOT compatible with this degree, then you can decide whether to change your degree or look for a different discipline.

It seems obvious that they don't have an exhaustive list easily available I was thinking more like 'applied math'. I understand if there are too many to list, but they wouldn't even tell me if the list I provided were disciplines. In fact, they gave me wrong information about disciplines and led me farther away from the answer. 

It's okay. It's not urgent, but I was asking because I could avoid some classes by switching to technical studies, especially one I'm taking right now that I really don't like.
Not sure what courses you don't currently like but if the Technical Studies degree doesn't work well for you then perhaps the professional studies would?
(03-13-2019, 05:23 PM)hallk33 Wrote: Below is what I was told. I was disappointed to learn that the core Technical Studies couldn't be from the list of technical discipline. I will say that without applying you are unlikely to get a straight answer.

In the case of the Technical Studies program, the first of the sections involved in the core (i.e. 'Technical Studies 21SH') coursework is required from the CIS, COS or CMP subject areas.  As for the second area (i.e. 'Technical Studies 18SH') electives are selected from the following list:

APS-302 Customer Service a Practical Approach
APS-400 Occupational Safety and Health
APS-402 Applied Quality Management
AVF-303 Aviation Safety Management
AVF-472 Airport Management
AVT-301 Airline Management
AVT-306 Crew resource Management
CIS-301 Management Information Systems
CIS-311 Database Management
CIS-320 System Analysis and Design I
CIS-351 Software Engineering
CMP-354 Networking Technologies
COS-330 Computer Architecture
COS-451 Artificial Intelligence
CYB-320 Ethical Hacking
CYB-321 Digital Forensics Techniques and Practices
CYB-420 Critical Infrastructure Security
EGM-321 Thermodynamics
EGM-323 Heat Transfer
EGM-331 Fluid Mechanics
ELD-302 Digital Electronics
ELD-311 Microprocessors
ELD-400 Advanced Microprocessors
ELT-306 Solid State Devices and Circuits
ELT-307 Linear Integrated Circuits
ELT-308 Industrial Electronics
EUT-302 Gas Combustion
EUT-309 Gas Distribution
EUT-401 Regulatory Policy & Procedures
EUT-402 Applied Economic Analysis
HCM-307 Principles of Healthcare Management
HCM-308 Healthcare Legal and Ethical Considerations
NUC-303 Nuclear Physics for Technology
NUC-342 Radiological, Reactor & Environmental Safety
NUC-351 Nuclear Instrumentation & Control
NUC-365 Reactor Fundamentals
NUC-380 Nuclear Rules and Regulations
NUC-402 Nuclear Materials
NUC-412 Radiation Biophysics
NUC-413 Radiation Interactions

Health Studies
Electrical
Aviation
Architect/Design
Computer 
Engineering
Environmental
Fire Science
Nuclear
Automotive
Lab Animal Science

Do you know when this was communicated? In my experience, this was not the case but I would prefer it if it were.

(03-11-2019, 04:31 PM)udi Wrote:

It seems obvious that they don't have an exhaustive list easily available I was thinking more like 'applied math'. I understand if there are too many to list, but they wouldn't even tell me if the list I provided were disciplines. In fact, they gave me wrong information about disciplines and led me farther away from the answer. 

Not sure what courses you don't currently like but if the Technical Studies degree doesn't work well for you then perhaps the professional studies would?
Where did you receive this information? Things could have changed, but the requirement when I looked into the program was that 21 credits come from one discipline; that discipline doesn't have to be IT (COS, CAP, CMP, etc.).

The electives you listed do fall into the various technical disciplines that TESU offers BS degrees in: aviation, electronics, IT, healthcare, etc. TESU will give you a list of potential electives based on the courses they offer, but they always note that the list is not comprehensive. Other courses can be transferred in; they just aren't offered by TESU. As stated earlier, there are biology courses that count as technical studies, but those courses aren't on your list because TESU doesn't offer them.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[/quote]
Where did you receive this information? Things could have changed, but the requirement when I looked into the program was that 21 credits come from one discipline; that discipline doesn't have to be IT (COS, CAP, CMP, etc.).

The electives you listed do fall into the various technical disciplines that TESU offers BS degrees in: aviation, electronics, IT, healthcare, etc. TESU will give you a list of potential electives based on the courses they offer, but they always note that the list is not comprehensive. Other courses can be transferred in; they just aren't offered by TESU. As stated earlier, there are biology courses that count as technical studies, but those courses aren't on your list because TESU doesn't offer them.
[/quote]

December 2018 is when I received the email from the Advising department stating those options. I have called the hotline since then and received similar responses.
Experienced students never depend on reliable answers from the hotline. They're wrong half the time. I would rely on the information from current students who have used the "what-if" function to see where things fall.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 697 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 359 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP