Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS Psych Concentration
OHi all, I’ve recently finished all but the capstone and info lit class for a BALS at TESU, and I’m considering pursuing the Psychology Concentration, as it’s only two classes away. Basically I need PSY-350 Abnormal Psychology which seems to be to be available at Coopersmith (and as a TECEP), but there is also a requirement for a six hour UL Social Psychology course (PSY-379 Social Psychology) this only available at TESU, or have any of you found alternative ways to meet this requirement? Thanks!
(03-24-2019, 08:33 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: OHi all, I’ve recently finished all but the capstone and info lit class for a BALS at TESU, and I’m considering pursuing the Psychology Concentration, as it’s only two classes away. Basically I need PSY-350 Abnormal Psychology which seems to be to be available at Coopersmith (and as a TECEP), but there is also a requirement for a six hour UL Social Psychology course (PSY-379 Social Psychology) this only available at TESU, or have any of you found alternative ways to meet this requirement? Thanks!

Exelsior has a few upper level psychology courses:

Abnormal Psychology: $355
Psychology of Adulthood & Aging: $110
Research Methods in Psychology: $110
Social Psychology: $110

However, I don't know if any of these will work for you. Social Psychology is only 3 credits at Exelsior, but TESU requires 6 for that one class. That's an odd requirement, so I wonder if two courses could be used to fulfill it. Research Methods in Psychology might transfer to Industrial Psychology. I couldn't find the full syllabus, so not really sure what's involved.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(03-24-2019, 08:33 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: OHi all, I’ve recently finished all but the capstone and info lit class for a BALS at TESU, and I’m considering pursuing the Psychology Concentration, as it’s only two classes away. Basically I need PSY-350 Abnormal Psychology which seems to be to be available at Coopersmith (and as a TECEP), but there is also a requirement for a six hour UL Social Psychology course (PSY-379 Social Psychology) this only available at TESU, or have any of you found alternative ways to meet this requirement? Thanks!

I know a lot of people for a psych BALS/Pysch BA have done two separate Social Psych courses. You have options:

Study.com has LL one and one UL courses do both and you have six credits in social psych.

It also depends if you need 6 credits UL Psych or could you do 3 credits LL and 3 credits UL? There is a Uexcel, Coopersmith, Ed4credit and more but all these are options are only 3 credits so like I said you need to do two.

Once you've chosen what you want email an advisor your choice for social psych to make sure it counts. Also have them switch to a BALS-psych concentration if it does count.
You can do the upper level Soc Psych uexcel, then the lower level at study.com (or elsewhere).

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JS...1st,_2015)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
You do not need 6 credits of social Psychology for BALS-Psych concentration. You need 6 social psychology credits for BA-Psychology. I am doing BA-LS Psych concentration and I did not require 6 social psychology credits. Have they changed the requirements recently?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(03-24-2019, 10:48 AM)jsd Wrote: You can do the upper level Soc Psych uexcel, then the lower level at study.com (or elsewhere).

Thanks for your responses. To be clear, are you saying that this (Social Psych) can be satisfied with one UL and one LL social psych course? Or does it just need to be two different social psych courses totaling 6 hours?

Thanks!
(03-24-2019, 10:53 AM)Supermind Wrote: You do not need 6 credits of social Psychology for BALS-Psych concentration. You need 6 social psychology credits for BA-Psychology. I am doing BA-LS Psych concentration and I did not require 6 social psychology credits. Have they changed the requirements recently?
Yes.

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/psychology1

We're looking at the above, but maybe some people are still locked into prior plans.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(03-24-2019, 10:56 AM)DeanLewis Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 10:48 AM)jsd Wrote: You can do the upper level Soc Psych uexcel, then the lower level at study.com (or elsewhere).

Thanks for your responses. To be clear, are you saying that this (Social Psych) can be satisfied with one UL and one LL social psych course? Or does it just need to be two different social psych courses totaling 6 hours?

Thanks!

I feel like people on the forum have done one UL and one LL, but it all depends and policies change. My advice would be to choose what psych courses you want (for example lets say you choose study.com and Uexcel) then e-mail academic advising to see if those choices along with abnormal psych and what you already have done (if you haven't gotten your other psych courses added to your eval yet tell them that they are) would give you psychology concentration complete. Once you get approval then just get to switch from no concentration to psychology.

Also, if none of this works, there the social sciences concentration which is much easier to complete as it is more broad.
That page doesn't state they need to be UL. They just give the course # for TESU's version, which happens to be UL. Have you heard or seen somewhere other than this page that it needs to be UL? It hasn't been that way in the past and this page doesn't indicate anything new. Study.com has two Soc Psych courses that do not duplicate that could count as well, if you don't need UL.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
@natshar Study.com doesn't have an UL Social Psychology course. They have two separate LL ones.

@Supermind, the page for the BALS-Psych concentration definitely lists 6 credits of Social Psych as a requirement
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 413 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 414 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BALS Natural Sciences/Mathematics Clarification ACR1200 14 1,142 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Psy352 psych personality Akegge 0 298 03-13-2023, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Akegge
  BA Management Concentration Equivalencies smohrs@gmail.com 9 769 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
  need help designing TESU BALS degree plan ece2001biz 8 1,098 02-06-2023, 12:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  90 credit limit - dual concentration Kones 6 837 02-02-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Kones
  BALS(PSY) ragkrish 10 1,038 07-26-2022, 02:23 PM
Last Post: ragkrish
  Capstone BAlS desoren 6 968 06-10-2022, 02:41 PM