Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for guidance/degree plan/ general help
(04-11-2019, 06:40 AM)Dan A Million Wrote: This is a really great forum. I'm also looking for a History degree, but I only have one course under my belt so far.
The degree plans posted on this thread are insightful for me.

I am wondering - how can one make sure that they are not taking a course/test that will not count towards your major? [With such a wide array of options to choose from] - Just by asking the schools?

Finally, do you have to be enrolled to seek academic planning from a school?

Most schools will not be very helpful for people who seek to use alt. education to accelerate their degree completion. Advisors get paid to recommend courses for students to take at the school directly, so it isn't in their best interest to learn much about alternative options. TESU is particularly bad in that the advisors will often guess when asked about non-TESU credit options, and they seem to be wrong more often than they are right.

If you're looking at using alt. education options to complete a degree, then the best way to navigate your degree path is by reading the forums, checking the wiki and archives, and to ask questions here. If you want to take courses directly from a school and/or use financial aid (which only applies to courses taken directly from schools) then working directly with advising to create a degree plan works too.

As for academic planning, advising will help you get enrolled in your cornerstone but that is about all you get without being enrolled. You will usually get one or two free transcript evaluations but after that you won't get another until you're enrolled officially.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Dan A Million
Best way to find out if a class will work is to ask here. Usually someone has experience with that particular class, or if not you can get a very educated guess (more educated, in my experience, than TESU advising)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Dan A Million
Thanks for the replies. That makes sense. I have to admit this has been quite the headache but I will continue reading the forum and asking questions. CHEERS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 33 2,061 36 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 157 5 hours ago
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 168 6 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Intl future student looking for guidance James4 4 233 8 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,092 Yesterday, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 516 Yesterday, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,274 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 167 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 924 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 529 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM