Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Credit Bank, lots of questions :)
Hi,

I am glad I found this thread. I have questions about the credit bank at Thomas Edison State College and FEMA credits. I will be entering the Army soon maybe this summer and I was hoping to enter as an E-3 but I only have 25 college credits from a local community college and the Army requires you to have at least 48. I have completed about 14 FEMA courses and I plan to take them all and I was wondering if it was worth it to credit bank those FEMA credits at Thomas Edison so I can have more than 48 credits total. :confused: The only problem is that from what I read on here, Thomas Edison State College has bad customer service and it takes a long time for them to respond to your questions, is that true? Because if I do plan to open a credit bank with them, I do not want to wait around for 6 months for them to send me a transcript.

What do you think is best? I was also thinking about taking CLEP and DSST exams but if I do it is going to be quite costly and I cannot afford it right now...

One more question about the credit bank at TESC, if I do open one with them it's good for one year right? So if I take CLEP and DSST exams later this year can I credit bank them also at TESC?

Any other way to earn free or cheap credits? I like the FEMA courses, you can learn a lot from it. I also read about thebackup.com courses and they seem really interesting but it's only for law enforcement so that's out of the question.

Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions. Smile

Erica
I don't know much about the credit bank at TESC, but I'm enrolled with them under the Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP). My advice would be to finish up the FEMA courses, and bank them with TESC. You'll have enough credits to go in as an E3, and you'll be set. Then once you enlist, you can sign up under the MDCP, pay your 75 bucks registration fee, and CLEP your heart out for free through the Army.

That's what I'm doing, and it's working out great. I don't pay any fees or anything else like that, and I'm always enrolled. I've been taking CLEP and DANTES tests for the past year off and on, and just sending the results to TESC.

There's other ways to go in as an E3 besides college, so I'd ask your recruiter.

Hope this helps!!

Jesse
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go ahead and open a credit bank with them.

Oh wow, you don't have to pay any fees if you enroll under the MDCP? What about the annual enrollment tuition for $2000+? I was looking at their Criminal Justice program but was concerned about the annual tuition. How about subjects that you cannot take via CLEP or DSST, do you have to take it from them or can you take it at another college and have it transfered? Thanks!
You can take anything you want at other institutions and have the credits transferred to TESC, but check each specific course first... the classes may or may not equate to something that you'll need for your degree. Work closely with an academic advisor (I suggest initially dealing with a few diferent advisors in your degree specialty, and then deciding on just one and stick with that person. Too many cooks spoil the broth and screw up your degree plans).

Note that I am not commenting on MDCP because it's different than it was a while back and I have no idea how the charges work... but if you DO have to pay tuition, consider taking the classes at TESC (online) because it will likely be much less expensive over being enrolled at TESC and paying a per-credit charge at another college (plus transfer fees).
Good luck!
You can't fail if you never give up
[COLOR="blue"]- Some ridiculous Zach Braff movie, but what a cool quote!!

I'm the king of procrastination. I first submitted my app to TESC in 1993. THIS will be the year of my degree completion![/COLOR]

PASSED:
CLEP-Information Systems & Computer Applications: Scored 62; Nov 07
CLEP-Analyzing & Interpreting Literature: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Criminal Justice: Scored 54; Jan 08
DANTES-Fundamentals of College Algebra: Scored 47 (and 47 is the req'd pass score! :eek: ); Jan 08
DANTES-Drug & Alcohol Abuse: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Ethics in America: Scored 55; Feb 08
DANTES-Organizational Behavior: Score 54; Mar 08
DANTES-Technical Writing: Score 58; Mar 08

FELL SHORT OF A PASSING SCORE (I'll never say the 'F' word):
ECE-Organizational Behavior: Score D (but passed DANTES version 2 hours later! Big Grin )
As far as the fees go for enrolling in the MDCP, you pay a 75 dollar fee to I guess technically "enroll". That's it. No annual enrollment fee or anything else like that. The only catch is that you have to take 12sh through them to get your Bachelors. That's no biggie really, considering the Army pays 100% tuition, which also covers your books. So whatever classes you need that you can't test out of, you can take through TESC for free.

All you have to do is go to your Education Center wherever you're stationed, and talk to one of the counselors. They'll set you up with everything you need. They'll also set you up with all the CLEP and DANTES tests you need.

You'll be well ahead of your peers in that you already know about CLEP and DANTES. Most soldiers don't even know where the education center is at haha. Rolleyes
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,822 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,376 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,988 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,041 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,704 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,981 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,819 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,639 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 1,977 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32