Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable Data Science Masters?
I'm about to graduate with my BACS from TESU and I was looking at pursuing a Masters' in Data Science. I'm looking for something affordable (under 20k, closer to 15k if possible), somewhat flexible (multiple start dates would be nice so I can finish in a year) and online.

So far I've found:

- Bellevue University Master of Science in Data Science ($585, 30 credits, so 17k). Not sure of the reputation of this school though.

- TESU/statistics.com MS Degree in Data Science and Analytics - looks like you can transfer up to 12 credits through ACE, so around 2k for that if taken through statistics.com and an additional 16k for tuition through TESU - kind of concerned about getting my BA and MS from the same university though.

- Illinois Master of Computer Science in Data Science through Coursera looks great but at 21k, a little more than what I'm comfortable paying. 

- EdX has a MS in Data Science through UC Denver, at 15k, it sounds perfect, but it's not approved yet.

- University of West Florida MS CS with a focus on Data Science, 14k. I like this option!

Are there any other programs I'm missing that would fit my criteria? I found more programs but they're more on the business analytics side, which I'm less interested in - for example CSU Global. I'd rather avoid WGU because of a less than stellar experience with them in the past, and Georgia Tech's program's length and intensity scares me a little (I'm a B student, really).
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
Iowa State
University of Arkansas Little Rock
St Louis University
West Virginia University
Hmm... I would find a list of programs from ranking sites and compile my own "list" from them, here's an example.
Have a look here: https://www.datasciencedegreeprograms.ne...-programs/
And this one here too: https://www.bestvalueschools.com/cheap/o...a-science/
Then finally here: https://www.bestcolleges.com/features/to...-programs/
I would take the cheapest 5 and do a list from another website, do that a few times, and narrow it to your top 5 choices.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-28-2019, 02:36 PM)NolaRice Wrote: I'm about to graduate with my BACS from TESU and I was looking at pursuing a Masters' in Data Science. I'm looking for something affordable (under 20k, closer to 15k if possible), somewhat flexible (multiple start dates would be nice so I can finish in a year) and online.

[...]

Are there any other programs I'm missing that would fit my criteria? I found more programs but they're more on the business analytics side, which I'm less interested in - for example CSU Global. I'd rather avoid WGU because of a less than stellar experience with them in the past, and Georgia Tech's program's length and intensity scares me a little (I'm a B student, really).

I'm not sure what your problems are with the WGU program, but you're probably not going to find a more affordable (or self-paced) option for that type of degree elsewhere.

I can say that my personal experience as a grad student at WGU has been pretty good. I have an amazing program mentor who has been very supportive and accommodating and I'm enjoying the coursework, for the most part. I'm not moving through the material as fast as I did in my undergrad courses but that is to be expected since there is a higher degree of rigor required at the master's degree level.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-28-2019, 03:22 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 02:36 PM)NolaRice Wrote: I'm about to graduate with my BACS from TESU and I was looking at pursuing a Masters' in Data Science. I'm looking for something affordable (under 20k, closer to 15k if possible), somewhat flexible (multiple start dates would be nice so I can finish in a year) and online.

[...]

I'm not sure what your problems are with the WGU program, but you're probably not going to find a more affordable (or self-paced) option for that type of degree elsewhere.

I can say that my personal experience as a grad student at WGU has been pretty good. I have an amazing program mentor who has been very supportive and accommodating and I'm enjoying the coursework, for the most part. I'm not moving through the material as fast as I did in my undergrad courses but that is to be expected since there is a higher degree of rigor required at the master's degree level.

I think WGU is a good school, but it wasn't a good fit for me, personally, when I tried their CS undergrad.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
does not have multiple start dates -- cannot be finished in a year
is 100% online -- is "relatively" inexpensive
is MUCH more complete and involved than WGU

CUNY School Of Professional Studies
Master of Science in Data Science
30 credits
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/graduate/...science-ms

go here and scroll down to see list of courses
http://catalog.sps.cuny.edu/preview_prog...2&poid=607

tuition
https://sps.cuny.edu/admissions/graduate...on-2018-19

Please note: Students in online degree programs pay the New York State tuition rate and do not need to establish residency.
=========================

could also consider a graduate certificate from Harvard Extension school
https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...ertificate
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • NolaRice
(05-28-2019, 04:14 PM)NolaRice Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 03:22 PM)Merlin Wrote:

[...]

I think WGU is a good school, but it wasn't a good fit for me, personally, when I tried their CS undergrad.

This may not be the right thread for it, but considering I recommend the WGU CS program to others, I am curious about your experiences with their CS program and why you're down on the school because of it. Particularly given you're doing a BACS with TESU which is arguably similar... or it can be if you transfer in most of the course work as you would with TESU.

Based on what I've read and seen from others who are going through their BSCS program it seems pretty good. I would have probably gone that direction myself had it been an option in 2017-2018.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
$21k for UIUC is really not a bad deal. It's a Top 5 CS program and will open up a lot of doors that less schools wouldn't. It qualifies for Financial Aid and one signing bonus from the right employer will pay for the entire degree. UC San Diego is $15k and still really highly ranked but it's not been completely launched yet.
[-] The following 2 users Like jonesy20's post:
  • davewill, Ideas
(06-05-2019, 03:47 PM)jonesy20 Wrote: $21k for UIUC is really not a bad deal. It's a Top 5 CS program and will open up a lot of doors that less schools wouldn't. It qualifies for Financial Aid and one signing bonus from the right employer will pay for the entire degree. UC San Diego is $15k and still really highly ranked but it's not been completely launched yet.

WGU qualifies for financial aid, and a signing bonus will pay for that entire degree as well (it applies to almost ALL degrees).  But it also means that if you're counting on getting a signing bonus to pay for your school and it doesn't happen, then you may be up a creek.  That shouldn't be how you decide where to get your degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
University of Michigan has a Master's in Data Science through Coursera.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 94 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 261 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,616 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,653 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,587 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7