Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Associates Degree - still need cornerstone?
If you come into the big 3 with an associates from a B & M, do they still require the cornerstone?
Yes you do. All bachelors and associates degrees from the big 3 have a cornerstone that must be taken no matter what.

Excelsior doesn't have a true cornerstone though, they have an information literacy course that you can transfer in from a university, but you have to have taken a course that meets the requirements. COSC and TESU you must take it with them no exceptions.
That's good to know! Although it looks like that may be changing:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...=Excelsior
(06-15-2019, 11:16 AM)natshar Wrote: Yes you do. All bachelors and associates degrees from the big 3 have a cornerstone that must be taken no matter what.

Excelsior doesn't have a true cornerstone though, they have an information literacy course that you can transfer in from a university, but you have to have taken a course that meets the requirements. COSC and TESU you must take it with them no exceptions.

So if you receive an Associates from COSU but continue at TESU for a Bachelors you would still have to take the Cornerstone at TESU? (I don't know if B&M schools require Cornerstones so I understand the requirement if they do not)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(06-15-2019, 01:12 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 11:16 AM)natshar Wrote: Yes you do. All bachelors and associates degrees from the big 3 have a cornerstone that must be taken no matter what.

So if you receive an Associates from COSU but continue at TESU for a Bachelors you would still have to take the Cornerstone at TESU? (I don't know if B&M schools require Cornerstones so I understand the requirement if they do not)

Yes you will still have to take it:

-Charter Oak has a cornerstone that you must take at Charter Oak no matter what for all degrees.
-Thomas Edison has a cornerstone that you must take at Thomas Edison no matter what for all degrees.
-Excelsior has information literacy require that you can transfer in, but soon will be moving towards a cornerstone.

Note these policies might be different if you already had a bachelors and went for a second on you might not have to take the cornerstone, but an associates degree does not make you exempt.

It doesn't make sense to get an associates from one of the big 3 schools and transfer to another for a bachelors, with all the fees it seems like a waste of money. If you are getting an associates from one of the big 3 schools, stick to the same one for a bachelors.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • TwinMom
(06-15-2019, 01:22 PM)natshar Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 01:12 PM)TwinMom Wrote:

Yes you will still have to take it:

-Charter Oak has a cornerstone that you must take at Charter Oak no matter what for all degrees.
-Thomas Edison has a cornerstone that you must take at Thomas Edison no matter what for all degrees.
-Excelsior has information literacy require that you can transfer in, but soon will be moving towards a cornerstone.

Note these policies might be different if you already had a bachelors and went for a second on you might not have to take the cornerstone, but an associates degree does not make you exempt.

It doesn't make sense to get an associates from one of the big 3 schools and transfer to another for a bachelors, with all the fees it seems like a waste of money. If you are getting an associates from one of the big 3 schools, stick to the same one for a bachelors.

Prior to the cornerstone requirements, it was fine to switch between schools; now with it, it does not.  The one caveat is that if you REALLY want an AA, then COSC is by far the cheapest even with the capstone; and TESU has a lot more degree choices than COSC, so I could see going there later to get a bachelors.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TwinMom
(06-15-2019, 03:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Prior to the cornerstone requirements, it was fine to switch between schools; now with it, it does not.  The one caveat is that if you REALLY want an AA, then COSC is by far the cheapest even with the capstone; and TESU has a lot more degree choices than COSC, so I could see going there later to get a bachelors.

That is what I was thinking we would do for my twins.  Get an Associates at COSC in Gen Studies so at least that's done.  Then see where their interests/talents lie (I'm thinking IT which CO doesn't offer except as a concentration).  But this throws a wrench in that thinking. Sad I'm really hoping in the next 3 years CO expands their concentration to an actual degree.  Cybersecurity is awesome but there still aren't enough alternate credit options vs having to take many classes at CO.  Thanks for the info. everyone

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security

(06-15-2019, 03:48 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 03:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Prior to the cornerstone requirements, it was fine to switch between schools; now with it, it does not.  The one caveat is that if you REALLY want an AA, then COSC is by far the cheapest even with the capstone; and TESU has a lot more degree choices than COSC, so I could see going there later to get a bachelors.

That is what I was thinking we would do for my twins.  Get an Associates at COSC in Gen Studies so at least that's done.  Then see where their interests/talents lie (I'm thinking IT which CO doesn't offer except as a concentration).  But this throws a wrench in that thinking. Sad I'm really hoping in the next 3 years CO expands their concentration to an actual degree.  Cybersecurity is awesome but there still aren't enough alternate credit options vs having to take many classes at CO.  Thanks for the info. everyone

For computers, IT, Cybersecurity, etc. WGU seems like a better bet. Not only is it cheaper but it comes with certifications and more courses in the major compared to TESU.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • akr680, TwinMom
(06-15-2019, 03:54 PM)natshar Wrote: For computers, IT, Cybersecurity, etc. WGU seems like a better bet. Not only is it cheaper but it comes with certifications and more courses in the major compared to TESU.

Agree!  Mine will (hopefully) be taking classes at a Tech school (here for free!) starting in 10th grade for Cybersecurity and will receive 7 computer certs through that program so WGU may be a good option after that

CsmLearn

(06-15-2019, 04:23 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 03:54 PM)natshar Wrote: For computers, IT, Cybersecurity, etc. WGU seems like a better bet. Not only is it cheaper but it comes with certifications and more courses in the major compared to TESU.

Agree!  Mine will (hopefully) be taking classes at a Tech school (here for free!) starting in 10th grade for Cybersecurity and will receive 7 computer certs through that program so WGU may be a good option after that

Also, don't forget that if they're willing to work at least part time at Walmart, you can now get a Cybersecurity degree for $1/day. They just expanded their program this month. My IT son was planning COSC however we are reconsidering now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 400 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,472 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Confirm degree completed Carnation 0 440 01-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  BOG Associates electives Cttwidd 5 682 01-24-2024, 09:55 PM
  Degree Approval Timeline for BOG (December Graduation) txc1500 10 1,062 12-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: txc1500
  Pierpont --- Associate degree question midnite123 17 1,394 11-28-2023, 01:54 PM
  Pierpont to Charge $130 Fee for BOG Degree MissRN 35 3,318 11-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: NapoleonInRags
  Question about Pierpont Associates Math/Science requirement kcstudent 6 485 11-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: kcstudent
  How long does a Degree Audit typically take? 00u00u00 12 953 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM
  Pierpont degree - Early Childhood basilia 7 456 10-19-2023, 10:48 AM