Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Quarter to Semester Transfer- waive .33 credits needed?
My friend is looking at finishing his degree at TESU. He has a number of credits from a community college that was on a quarter system rather than a semester system. As such, his classes transfer over as 2.67 credits rather than 3. That leaves him needing .33 credits for some of the requirements like Oral Communication and English Comp. Does anyone have experience with this? Will they make him retake the course for the .33 credits or count it as him meeting the requirement and he'll have to make up the .33 credits elsewhere to reach the full 120?
Your friend is fine with the 2.67 credits for his English Comp and the Oral Comm... they will require your friend to make up the extra .33 from the general education electives where many people have overages, the extra credit can be used to fulfill that gap. The only areas that this will not work is the Area of Study (people usually will get 3 credits each course required).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-04-2019, 01:37 PM)amilitab4k9 Wrote: My friend is looking at finishing his degree at TESU. He has a number of credits from a community college that was on a quarter system rather than a semester system. As such, his classes transfer over as 2.67 credits rather than 3. That leaves him needing .33 credits for some of the requirements like Oral Communication and English Comp. Does anyone have experience with this? Will they make him retake the course for the .33 credits or count it as him meeting the requirement and he'll have to make up the .33 credits elsewhere to reach the full 120?

Yes, they can be used to meet the requirements, he'll just need to make up the deficit elsewhere.

I had a few courses on the quarter system and one other course that came in as only 2 credits that were each used to meet Gen Ed requirements. In each case, each of the Gen Ed requirements was met, but the deficit was added to the Gen Ed electives. So I ended up needing 21.33 credits instead of 19 credits in my Gen Ed electives (and I ended up with 60.01 sh earned overall in the Gen Ed section).

If the courses are C or better and meet the currency requirements they can be used in the core or area of study too, even if they come in under 3 credits. However, each section needs to meet its individual minimum credit requirement. For example, in my AOS I needed 18 cr total, but I had two courses that were only 2 credits each. I had to take another 3 cr course in my AOS electives to make up the deficit and ended up with 19 credits in my AOS instead of 18. To compensate, TESU dropped the number of elective credits needed from 6 cr to 5 cr, which worked out since I had a third 2cr course that ended up there.

In any case, I ended up with 120.01 credits in my final degree evaluation, plus 1.67 credits that ended up in "other credits". So it can be done, you just need to plan accordingly.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 226 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 259 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,575 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538