Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to pinpoint specific path
Hey all! I was just referred to this forum and have been studying all of the information for the last 3-4 hours and it is a lot to take in, haha. First of all, I want to thank you all for sharing so much knowledge to help people like myself go back to college, as it helps more than you could ever know.

So, I am looking at going back to college here soon and trying to understand the path I want to take, but I let me explain my situation more in-detail for a better understanding of what I am working with.

1. I have ADHD (Medicated) and may learn at a slightly slower pace than most, but I do work hard
2. I live in Tennessee, where we have the Reconnect program (Tuiton-free Community College)
3. I live quite a ways away from most Community Colleges, so I am considering an online degree with them if that is the logical choice
4. I have been researching Study, Sophia, StraighterLine, CollegeDegree & more to knock out my first 2-year’s worth of courses (If possible) compared to knocking out a local Community College
5. I’m looking into WGU, TESU or Excelsior for my Bachelors Degree
6. I work full-time 7am-3:30pm M-F, so can dedicate about 3-4 hours per day.

Now, I want to get an Associates Degree before my Bachelors, but I understand that WGU doesn’t offer that and the others do, but it’s more costly. So, in my situation where I have the chance at tuition-free CC, would it be wiser to take that, or spend the money on the websites to knock out most basic courses and transfer to TESU/Excelsior for my Associates/Bachelor? I’m trying to understand how this system works and if it makes far more financial sense over a local CC online course, or if the local CC is better?

I really hope my questions aren’t dumb and greatly appreciate all of you taking the time to help!

Sent from my iPad using DegreeForum.net
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • suzycupcake
You did not say what kind of degree you want, and that will also make a difference on where you go. What degree are you looking at getting?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest thing you're going to look at with the CC is not cost (free) but time. It's most likely going to be a semester-based school, so each course is going to take 15-16 weeks. Now, you might be able to do 15 units a semester (which is a pretty heavy load for a person working full-time) but it is doable. Maybe not sustainable for 2 full years though? I personally wouldn't have the patience.

The other thing to think about - sure you can get an AA/AS at your CC, but you could also just skip that, and do a BA in that much time or less through one of the Big 3. Honestly, there is no point to an AA in most cases, if you're going to get a BA.

Let's not forget, with your CC, it's free, but do you have to pay for books? If so, then you may end up paying more than you would have for other options. Many of our options include a textbook in the cost, or have no textbook to purchase at all, so there's no added cost to any of it. If you're at a CC, books may cost upwards of $200 per course, and even if you buy used, or rent, there may be additional fees for online access to materials (those book publishers will come up with a way to make you pay one way or another).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My opinion is, narrow down your degree/major, pick a school, and begin. Do CC if you want as well, and just start on the bachelor's degree. If your CC will take CLEP or DSST exams, then do those first, to get your AA IF it's not more trouble than it's worth (meaning, if it's not going to take you more time and more courses than if you were just to go straight to the bachelor's). Do not let an AA slow down your getting a BA, and don't let your "free" college slow you down either. It's not worth it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • BrighterFuture88, TwinMom
(07-14-2019, 01:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You did not say what kind of degree you want, and that will also make a difference on where you go. What degree are you looking at getting?
The biggest thing you're going to look at with the CC is not cost (free) but time. It's most likely going to be a semester-based school, so each course is going to take 15-16 weeks. Now, you might be able to do 15 units a semester (which is a pretty heavy load for a person working full-time) but it is doable. Maybe not sustainable for 2 full years though? I personally wouldn't have the patience.

The other thing to think about - sure you can get an AA/AS at your CC, but you could also just skip that, and do a BA in that much time or less through one of the Big 3. Honestly, there is no point to an AA in most cases, if you're going to get a BA.

Let's not forget, with your CC, it's free, but do you have to pay for books? If so, then you may end up paying more than you would have for other options. Many of our options include a textbook in the cost, or have no textbook to purchase at all, so there's no added cost to any of it. If you're at a CC, books may cost upwards of $200 per course, and even if you buy used, or rent, there may be additional fees for online access to materials (those book publishers will come up with a way to make you pay one way or another).
My opinion is, narrow down your degree/major, pick a school, and begin. Do CC if you want as well, and just start on the bachelor's degree. If your CC will take CLEP or DSST exams, then do those first, to get your AA IF it's not more trouble than it's worth (meaning, if it's not going to take you more time and more courses than if you were just to go straight to the bachelor's). Do not let an AA slow down your getting a BA, and don't let your "free" college slow you down either. It's not worth it.

I can’t thank you enough for the detailed reply back. I apologize for not mentioning my degree originally, but I am looking at a degree in Business and possibly a concentration in Human Resources Management.

Sent from my iPad using DegreeForum.net

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
Figure out if online courses are something for you (or discover a CC works better for you), skip the Associates and get going.
Do you have experience with online learning / CC?
Some people get motivated by other people or by the structure a CC offers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • BrighterFuture88
I'm going to say that there's nothing business-related at a CC that you NEED to spend your time on; and an AA in business is worth virtually nothing IMHO.

If I were you, I'd skip the CC and go straight into either WGU, TESU, or COSC:
- For WGU, they have a BSB in HRM that's good, and they are ACBSP-accredited which is also good. I'd do 90cr first with alternative means, and do the final 30cr there. It's my 1st choice, if you can finish in 1 term.
- For TESU, they do have a BSBA with an HRM concentration, and are ACBSP-accredited. It's my 2nd choice.
- For COSC, they have a BSBA, no HRM concentration and no ACBSP-accreditation, but will be cheaper than TESU, so they're my 3rd choice.
- For EC, there's no reason to do it, as they have the BSBA with an HRM concentration but aren't ACBSP-accredited (so TESU wins that) but they are more expensive than COSC. So they're 4th if they made my list at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • BrighterFuture88, TwinMom
(07-14-2019, 05:09 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Figure out if online courses are something for you (or discover a CC works better for you), skip the Associates and get going.
Do you have experience with online learning / CC?
Some people get motivated by other people or by the structure a CC offers.

Yep! Though, I wasn’t medicated at the time, but I did decently well. It is a challenge with ADHD, I won’t lie, but one that I am willing to tackle head-on. To test myself, I will happily pay for the general courses at Sophia, SL or another site just to see how well I do.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

(07-14-2019, 05:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to say that there's nothing business-related at a CC that you NEED to spend your time on; and an AA in business is worth virtually nothing IMHO.

If I were you, I'd skip the CC and go straight into either WGU, TESU, or COSC:
- For WGU, they have a BSB in HRM that's good, and they are ACBSP-accredited which is also good. I'd do 90cr first with alternative means, and do the final 30cr there. It's my 1st choice, if you can finish in 1 term.
- For TESU, they do have a BSBA with an HRM concentration, and are ACBSP-accredited. It's my 2nd choice.
- For COSC, they have a BSBA, no HRM concentration and no ACBSP-accreditation, but will be cheaper than TESU, so they're my 3rd choice.
- For EC, there's no reason to do it, as they have the BSBA with an HRM concentration but aren't ACBSP-accredited (so TESU wins that) but they are more expensive than COSC. So they're 4th if they made my list at all.

Thank you so much for this information! On most of these alternative sites, are their courses based on the specific degree/concentration usually accurate? If not, I’ll just ask a WGU advisor to make sure what courses I have to take.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Another option would be to check if your CC offers self paced online courses. Some CC's do and then you would get the self paced aspect and it would be free. Then just use the free CC to transfer to WGU (or wherever).
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • BrighterFuture88
(07-15-2019, 02:49 PM)natshar Wrote: Another option would be to check if your CC offers self paced online courses. Some CC's do and then you would get the self paced aspect and it would be free. Then just use the free CC to transfer to WGU (or wherever).

That’s a fantastic idea!  I’ll contact the CC first thing in the AM to find out if they accept those type of credits.  Thank you so much!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 176 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 467 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 660 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Can't access Specific Exam Feedback studyandpass5 1 990 12-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
Question Walden University's Tempo Learning? Credit By Exam? Searching for an ECE Path! iwantmydegreeplz 6 2,779 10-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Can you help me plan my degree path? High_Order1 111 31,020 08-29-2019, 05:27 AM
Last Post: High_Order1
  Degree path guidance for new dad Tarka 27 3,893 05-29-2019, 11:10 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Cheap graded credits? School-specific ok Ideas 1 984 11-08-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Fastest path to a computer science or software degree? Nutmeg0065 31 13,619 09-01-2018, 04:01 AM
Last Post: padma
  Specific Feedback Forum Question acamp 4 1,301 07-26-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: acamp