Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor courses for TESU BSBA Marketing?
Can someone please help me double check some Saylor courses? I downloaded a TESU BSBA Marketing degree plan from someone on here during my many post searches and it was the perfect starting point that I was looking for. I am attempting to do as many course from home for credit before even starting to find time and availability to go do CLEP exams. I plan to use CSM Learn for the Quantitative Literacy requirement instead of College algebra and then get a bunch of courses done through Saylor, then Study dot com and then move onto testing. I can't remember the name of the awesome poster who posted the degree plan but I am including it for reference.  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2675

I want to make sure that I have the correct Saylor courses in my spreadsheet, and need to double check on the following:

CIVIC ENGAGEMENT - American Government/Comparative Politics = polsc221 intro to comparative politics?
Statistics = ma121 into to statistics or bus204 business statistics?
Financial Accounting = bus103 intro to financial accounting 
Managerial Accounting bus105 managerial accounting?
Business Law = bus205 business law?
Intro to Computer Science/Info Systems & Computer Apps/Intro to Computing = cs101 intro to computer science?
Principles of Finance = bus202 principles of finance?
Principles of Management = bus206 principles of management?
Principles of Marketing = bus203 principles of marketing?
Macroeconomics = econ102 intro to macroeconomics?
Microeconomics = econ101 intro to microeconomicsr?
Business Communication = bus210 corporate communication or comm001 principles of human communication?

In addition, there is a requirement listed for 4-7 credits of  Understanding the Physical & Natural World (4-7cr)
and it says: Any Science/Computer Science course and lists them as being available at basically all of the sites. Saylor has CS102; intro to computer science 2, CS302 Software engineering and CS402: computer communications and networks, as well as bus206: management information systems and bus303: strategic information systems in their offering. Are any of those options for this requirement?  So is this really any science or computer science courses? I would prefer to take computer science courses because I think that would be more useful with a marketing degree.

And there is another section labeled: Civic & Global Learning (9cr) and lists the following courses:

SOC-101/ANT-101 DIVERSITY - Sociology/Anthropology
PHI-384 ETHICS - Insurance Ethics
POS-110 CIVIC ENGAGEMENT - American Government/Comparative Politics

I asked about the comparative politics course from Saylor above, but is the Sociology 101 from Saylor equivalent? And it recommends the ethics course from "the institute" but says that one only give 2 credits and the section requires 9, so this section would only have 8 if I did that.  

Also, regarding gen ed electives, would the remainder of Saylors courses be considered that? like bus101 intro to business, phycology, etc?

If you've read ask if this and can help, thank you!  

another question, only slightly related.... why would someone choose to "enroll" at TESU prior to having as many of these courses completed as possible...? I have seen that a few places and I keep thinking that there must be a reason.
Ginger mama of 6 gingers, newbie  Huh  working towards BSB  Big Grin
So two things I just wanted to make you aware of.

TESU is actually quite a bit more expensive now especially if you are starting from scratch. They now require SOS-110 which is over 1000 and the residency waiver is 2800 so you might want to choose another school. WGU, COSC, and EC all offer cheaper degrees.

Also, a lot of people on the this fourm don't like Saylor although they are cheaper the tests are confusing and more difficult and even frustrating. I personally found this the case for me, I attempted a Saylor course and found the test very difficult with multiple could be correct answers. A lot of us find it easier to do other platforms like study.com, sophia and davar.
I graduated from TESU, so I'm a fan - but if you're more budget minded than specific degree concentration then COSC might be a good option for a business degree. They require more UL credits, but if you plan it correctly it can be significantly cheaper than TESU right now.  Here is a rather recent overview/plan post on their program that you might want to take a look at: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript

Saylor is very low cost if you pass on the first try ($25 per exam attempt), but the material they supply is tedious and not quick moving - so it could be frustrating if you're not already somewhat familiar with the material - and many of the subject they offer credit in can be obtained faster &/or easier.  As bjcheung77 makes a point of asking in the beginners guide you need to decide the order of importance on these three items - cheap, easy, or fast.  (list all but in order of priority 1,2,3) - Put those in order of importance and we can help guide you more efficiently.  Easy, Cheap, Fast gets different advice than Fast, Easy and Cheap or Cheap, Fast and Easy (that's the toughest - fast and easy generally don't come cheap) - you get the idea.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

So, the degree plan is mine, I used the most easily found courses, there are usually other options.  But here is my advice (in red):

CIVIC ENGAGEMENT - polsc221 intro to comparative politics? Yes you can take this
Statistics = ma121 into to statistics or bus204 business statistics? I've heard Business Stats is a better course
Financial Accounting = bus103 intro to financial accounting Yes you can take this
Managerial Accounting = bus105 managerial accounting? Yes you can take this
Business Law = bus205 business law? Yes you can take this
Intro to Computer Science/Info Systems & Computer Apps/Intro to Computing = cs101 intro to computer science? Unsure
Principles of Finance = bus202 principles of finance? Yes you can take this
Principles of Management = bus206 principles of management? Yes you can take this
Principles of Marketing = bus203 principles of marketing? Yes you can take this
Macroeconomics = econ102 intro to macroeconomics? Yes you can take this
Microeconomics = econ101 intro to microeconomicsr? Yes you can take this
Business Communication = bus210 corporate communication or comm001 principles of human communication? BUS210 only

SOC-101/ANT-101 DIVERSITY - Sociology/Anthropology - Saylor doesn't have a course that works for this requirement (Sociology is only 1cr and won't work)
PHI-384 ETHICS - Insurance Ethics This is a free course, although now 3cr of LL, so why use Saylor 
POS-110 CIVIC ENGAGEMENT - American Government/Comparative Politics Take POLSC221: Intro to Comparative Politics

Also, the reason you want to enroll at TESU is because you want to get locked into a catalog; they change their policies, requirements, etc. once a year, so you don't want that to change while you're still acquiring your credits. There is no cost (besides the application fee) to stay enrolled at TESU, short of taking a TECEP once a year to extend your enrollment, and even that is $150 for 3cr so totally worth it; COSC and EC both charge a per-term or annual fee to enroll, so not worth doing, and neither changes their requirements much, so it's not as much of an issue.

Some of Saylor's courses are Gen Ed's, some are not: Buiness is generally not a Gen Ed, some CompSci/IT courses aren't either. Here's what is a GE at TESU (that hasn't been listed as part of the degree or asked about already):
PHIL103: Moral and Political Philosophy
COMM001: Principles of Human Communication
MA005: Calculus I
ENVS203: Environmental Ethics, Justice & Worldviews
BIO101: Intro to Molecular & Cellular Biology
CHEM101: General Chemistry I
PHYS101 Physics: Intro to Mechanics
PHYS102 Physics: Intro to Electromagnetism
PSYCH101: Intro to Psychology (2cr)
SOC101: Intro to Sociology (1cr)
POLSC101: Intro to Political Science
POLSC201: Intro to Western Political Thought
CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I
CS102: Introduction to Computer Science II
BUS206: Management Information Systems
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-14-2019, 04:04 PM)natshar Wrote: So two things I just wanted to make you aware of.

TESU is actually quite a bit more expensive now especially if you are starting from scratch. They now require SOS-110 which is over 1000 and the residency waiver is 2800 so you might want to choose another school. WGU, COSC, and EC all offer cheaper degrees.

Also, a lot of people on the this fourm don't like Saylor although they are cheaper the tests are confusing and more difficult and even frustrating. I personally found this the case for me, I attempted a Saylor course and found the test very difficult with multiple could be correct answers. A lot of us find it easier to do other platforms like study.com, sophia and davar.

This is good to know, thank you!  I need easy to get through with 6 kids at home.

(07-14-2019, 04:50 PM)allvia Wrote: I graduated from TESU, so I'm a fan - but if you're more budget minded than specific degree concentration then COSC might be a good option for a business degree. They require more UL credits, but if you plan it correctly it can be significantly cheaper than TESU right now.  Here is a rather recent overview/plan post on their program that you might want to take a look at: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript

Saylor is very low cost if you pass on the first try ($25 per exam attempt), but the material they supply is tedious and not quick moving - so it could be frustrating if you're not already somewhat familiar with the material - and many of the subject they offer credit in can be obtained faster &/or easier.  As bjcheung77 makes a point of asking in the beginners guide you need to decide the order of importance on these three items - cheap, easy, or fast.  (list all but in order of priority 1,2,3) - Put those in order of importance and we can help guide you more efficiently.  Easy, Cheap, Fast gets different advice than Fast, Easy and Cheap or Cheap, Fast and Easy (that's the toughest - fast and easy generally don't come cheap) - you get the idea.
Thank you for the tip about Saylor. I have seen that a few places now, so I'm going to look at the other options.
As for your question about priority, while being as inexpensive as possible, my order is going to be easy, fast, cheap.  I have far too many kids and daily responsibilities to waste my time or energy on tedious busy work that adds time and confusion for no reason.  And while I want the cheapest options I can find, sometimes its not worth it to save that $60 or whatever by taking a clep or DSST if it means I have to pay a babysitter the same money to be here while I test. if that makes sense.  I would prefer to avoid DSST and CLEP for the time being and seend the next year getting as many credits as I can straight from home, even if it costs more, and then next summer knocking out as many tests as I can when I have a babysitter more readily available.

(07-14-2019, 05:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, the degree plan is mine, I used the most easily found courses, there are usually other options.  But here is my advice (in red):

CIVIC ENGAGEMENT - polsc221 intro to comparative politics? Yes you can take this
Statistics = ma121 into to statistics or bus204 business statistics? I've heard Business Stats is a better course
Financial Accounting = bus103 intro to financial accounting Yes you can take this
Managerial Accounting = bus105 managerial accounting? Yes you can take this
Business Law = bus205 business law? Yes you can take this
Intro to Computer Science/Info Systems & Computer Apps/Intro to Computing = cs101 intro to computer science? Unsure
Principles of Finance = bus202 principles of finance? Yes you can take this
Principles of Management = bus206 principles of management? Yes you can take this
Principles of Marketing = bus203 principles of marketing? Yes you can take this
Macroeconomics = econ102 intro to macroeconomics? Yes you can take this
Microeconomics = econ101 intro to microeconomicsr? Yes you can take this
Business Communication = bus210 corporate communication or comm001 principles of human communication? BUS210 only

SOC-101/ANT-101 DIVERSITY - Sociology/Anthropology - Saylor doesn't have a course that works for this requirement (Sociology is only 1cr and won't work)
PHI-384 ETHICS - Insurance Ethics This is a free course, although now 3cr of LL, so why use Saylor 
POS-110 CIVIC ENGAGEMENT - American Government/Comparative Politics Take POLSC221: Intro to Comparative Politics

Also, the reason you want to enroll at TESU is because you want to get locked into a catalog; they change their policies, requirements, etc. once a year, so you don't want that to change while you're still acquiring your credits.  There is no cost (besides the application fee) to stay enrolled at TESU, short of taking a TECEP once a year to extend your enrollment, and even that is $150 for 3cr so totally worth it; COSC and EC both charge a per-term or annual fee to enroll, so not worth doing, and neither changes their requirements much, so it's not as much of an issue.

Some of Saylor's courses are Gen Ed's, some are not: Buiness is generally not a Gen Ed, some CompSci/IT courses aren't either.  Here's what is a GE at TESU (that hasn't been listed as part of the degree or asked about already):
PHIL103: Moral and Political Philosophy
COMM001: Principles of Human Communication
MA005: Calculus I
ENVS203: Environmental Ethics, Justice & Worldviews
BIO101: Intro to Molecular & Cellular Biology
CHEM101: General Chemistry I
PHYS101 Physics: Intro to Mechanics
PHYS102 Physics: Intro to Electromagnetism
PSYCH101: Intro to Psychology (2cr)
SOC101: Intro to Sociology (1cr)
POLSC101: Intro to Political Science
POLSC201: Intro to Western Political Thought
CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I
CS102: Introduction to Computer Science II
BUS206: Management Information Systems

Thank you so much for that degree plan!  It really helps me unjumble my mind and put things into a spreadsheet. I'm so grateful that you shared it on someone else thread!  

Regarding TESU vs COSC, I actually don't have a preference really.... I appreciate the details on why someone would choose to just stay enrolled with TESU and continue using other avenues of earning credit. I am most specifically looking for the fastest and easiest way to get my degree and while I am budget conscious, it is the last on my priority list.  Theres a good chance my circumstances will change in the near future and I need to have a degree to make that transition less of a burden on myself and my 6 children.  Its very difficult to earn a living wage without a degree. Shoot, its still difficult to earn one WITH a living wage and most people don't have as many children as I do.  I'm going to start with the ethics course from the institute and CSM learn and im going to take your advice about using modern states to learn the subject matter and attempt to take the tests through Saylor or OD. Thank you so much for your help. Its really been invaluable. I would welcome any other advice.  ETA: marketing was my choice because its one of my strengths.  I have had a few jobs from home over the years that were very marketing specific and I did very well without any formal training so that's the field of work I will probably plan on pursuing with my degree, BUT, im open to others at COSC for example if they would fit better with my desire for easy and fast over cost.
Ginger mama of 6 gingers, newbie  Huh  working towards BSB  Big Grin
Based on what you've said in order of easy, fast, cheap I think the TESU BSBA (Marketing) option makes the most sense.  It is currently  more expensive than COSC, but TESU is easier to plan right now, and as dfrecore mentioned the ability to lock in the catalog can be key to the whole process; and it also allows for fewer UL credits - half as many as COSC (and cheap LL credits are readily available).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(07-15-2019, 09:26 AM)allvia Wrote: Based on what you've said in order of easy, fast, cheap I think the TESU BSBA (Marketing) option makes the most sense.  It is currently  more expensive than COSC, but TESU is easier to plan right now, and as dfrecore mentioned the ability to lock in the catalog can be key to the whole process; and it also allows for fewer UL credits - half as many as COSC (and cheap LL credits are readily available).

COSC will let you bring in courses that are LL and mark them as UL, so it's not as difficult as it sounds.  I think when you do that, it ends up being the same number of UL courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 225 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 362 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP