Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comptia exams no longer evaluated on ACE list?
Hi all,

I ran into an issue recently where I wanted to take a comptia certification exam for college credit (excelsior), and wanted to refer to ACE site to see how many credits it recommends. It seems none of the COMPTIA exams are evaulated by ACE currently.

Reference url on ACE:  http://www2.acenet.edu/credit?fuseaction=browse.main

Has anyone ran into this recently, or has more info on it?

Thanks
I don't ever recall seeing CompTIA exams evaluated by ACE. I know some training companies have had their training for some CompTIA exams approved, but those are usually in person training courses.

That being said, some schools accept certification even though they're not ACE evaluated. WGU does, as does TESU. I believe Excelsior does as well, but k have no idea about COSC.

Some more info...

TESU only accepts Network+ and Security+
https://www2.tesu.edu/oapwl/company.php?...nt=CompTIA

Excelsior is a lot more generous (not just with CompTIA, but IT certs in general) - see CompTIA tab:
https://www.excelsior.edu/start-with-mor...fications/

WGU is likely going to be the most generous, depending on what specific IT degree you're looking for -- Find the degree transfer guides at the bottom of this page:
https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Admission/Transfer...y/ta-p/155

I still couldn't find anything about COSC except they have a page explaining how to send CompTIA transcripts to them. That would suggest they accept them, but not sure how they get transcribed.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-07-2019, 11:12 AM)jsd Wrote: I don't ever recall seeing CompTIA exams evaluated by ACE. I know some training companies have had their training for some CompTIA exams approved, but those are usually in person training courses.

That being said, some schools accept certification even though they're not ACE evaluated. WGU does, as does TESU. I believe Excelsior does as well, but k have no idea about COSC.

Hi, thanks for the reply. For some reason I remember COMPTIA was listed as an organization on the ACENET site last I checked earlier last year. Microsoft is still listed as an 'organization'.

Upon checking excelsior site, they accepted Security+ exam in these dates: 1/2009 to 5/2019 as per :  https://www.excelsior.edu/start-with-mor...fications/

Looks like I missed out on it, or someone hasn't evaluated the IT certs/Credits again in the new/recent timeframe...
I would contact them to see if they accept newer exams. It could just be out of date.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • shola
(08-07-2019, 11:30 AM)jsd Wrote: I would contact them to see if they accept newer exams. It could just be out of date.

Thanks, it seems that the school site hasn't updated their list with valid dates yet.
I posted a thread in 2018 asking about duplication of CompTIA credit. My son was enrolling in a course that (because it was a college course) awarded college credit and also CompTIA certs, and I wondered separately about getting college credit for the exam. At the time I wrote that post, CompTIA exams were NOT in the ACE database, but TESU did award college credit.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ht=comptia

My post:
"My son is taking a full load of courses this semester at our local CC for dual enrollment, but I noticed 2 of his courses integrate CompTIA testing and I know TESU awards credit for some CompTIA exams.

My son is taking:
CTI-130 OS & Device Foundations (CompTIA A+)
CTI-120 Network & Security Foundations (CompTIA Network+)

It looks like TESU doesn't award credit for the A+, but that they do for Network+

TESU's website shows:
CompTIA Network+ Certification 3 cr ITS-140

But, my question is does the ITS140 duplicate the 3 credits he's already getting through the CC (CTI120) or is this a bonus 3 credits??"

My comments later in the thread:

"Thanks, I carelessly didn't check ahead of time to see if the testing company his college used also had ACE evaluation. They don't - unfortunately, they DID but it's long expired. (Company is called TestOut!) There aren't any options, the TestOut! skills are integrated into his classes, so we can't choose a different provider (without duplicating the work and paying of course) He'll be using that company when he does other classes at the CC as well, so he's going to have a few more - but without a way of getting these on his ACE transcript, I think I'm might be at a dead end. I've never personally asked for an evaluation of something for credit that was not already on a transcript, but I guess it might not hurt to ask."

I think, though I'm not certain, that the only way to earn college credit is to either complete a credit-bearing course that integrates CompTIA (what we did) or find a college that recognizes it without ACE credit. TESU or WGU are probably your two best options.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Photo TADA Tier List of Certificates LevelUP 13 2,048 02-23-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,347 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com final exams lidel 15 3,178 05-23-2023, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Sophia's English Comp is no longer a nightmare kylan11 16 5,751 02-23-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  CompTIA A+ Certification | Discount akr680 10 1,617 09-07-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: msa145
  What are the easiest & fastest Sophia courses out of this list? cdickerson0601 9 4,650 05-19-2022, 11:40 AM
Last Post: gams007
  Saylor Direct Credit Final Exams Kimberly526 2 1,422 04-18-2022, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Kimberly526
  Straighterline Exams Retake Policy? Pats20 2 1,811 04-03-2022, 06:57 PM
Last Post: LevelUP