Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving from UoL to one of the Big Three
Hello, I'm an American who has completed the first year of the B.A. in Combined Studies (English major/Philosophy minor) program at the University of London, earning a Certificate of Higher Education in Combined Studies (English/Philosophy) degree. I did well enough on my exams (the equivalent of a 3.75 GPA) and enjoyed studying at UoL, but I'm thinking of moving to one of the Big Three so I can pursue one class at a time in an accelerated format gaining credit by examination rather than having to wait half the year to continue with my next four classes (UoL's academic year starts in October and ends on the first week of May). 

My goal is to complete an accredited humanities BA within the next two years as I'd like to start a M.Div program at a particular seminary. I already have a good job working in tech, so I don't need this degree for any financial reasons, I just need it as a prerequisite for the program I want to begin at the seminary, ideally in Fall 2021. 

> Each UoL course has a value of 30 UK credits or 15 ECTS credits, equivalent to 300 notional study hours.
https://london.ac.uk/sites/default/files/programme-specifications/progspec-english-2019-20.pdf

Since UK credits are a bit different than US credits (a full UK bachelor's degree consists of only 12 individual classes, usually pursued four classes per year for three years), my concern is schools in the Big Three might view the four courses I've taken as a total of 12 credit hours (1/10th of a BA from TESU) rather than the higher value that UoL places on those classes. 

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to offer any guidance if there's a way I can move forward as quickly as possible through one of the Big Three. If not, perhaps my best path forward is to continue with UoL.

Thank you.
I bet you will have to apply to all three.  I did and its no big deal.  Just take the best deal.  They are NOT the same.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(08-14-2019, 01:47 PM)Amator Wrote: Since UK credits are a bit different than US credits (a full UK bachelor's degree consists of only 12 individual classes, usually pursued four classes per year for three years), my concern is schools in the Big Three might view the four courses I've taken as a total of 12 credit hours (1/10th of a BA from TESU) rather than the higher value that UoL places on those classes. 

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to offer any guidance if there's a way I can move forward as quickly as possible through one of the Big Three. If not, perhaps my best path forward is to continue with UoL.

Thank you.
You need to get your courses evaluated through an international credential evaluation company like WES https://www.wes.org/.  My completed UK 3 year degree was evaluated at 120 credits.  I strongly suspect your 1st year certificate will be evaluated at 40 credits. 
However you won't know for sure until you've sent it.  In fact I think that most US universities won't take the transcript directly from a UK university, they need it translated first by the agency they specify.  TESU accepted my WES transcript, I don't know about the other two.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
[-] The following 2 users Like Leedeedee's post:
  • davewill, Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,143 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  Help moving forward - JJ65 0 483 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Last Post: JJ65
  Finished with Aleks and moving on JJ65 3 609 09-16-2012, 04:17 AM
Last Post: OE800_85
  Are the exams organized like the flash cards? Covering one topic, and moving on? cleptomania 3 630 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Last Post: cleptomania
  Moving on! frankiebleyes 8 1,373 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Last Post: codface
  I feel like im moving too slow... am I? swisha2k 9 1,688 03-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Last Post: MISin08