Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree by May?
One problem is it's not allowed start the TESU Capstone until most of the AOS is done and 100 credits are done.

TESU Cornerstone is 12 weeks. TESU Capstone is 12 weeks.

COSC Cornerstone is 8 weeks.

TESU: the cornerstone and capstone are both 12 weeks. You can take them together if you want. But you need most of the degree done before signing up for the capstone they are super strict on this.

COSC: You can't take both the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. Cornerstone is 8 weeks. Capstone is either 8 weeks OR two parts with 15 weeks total. This depends on your major. You need most of degree done before capstone.

EC: not sure how it works and the cornerstone will be implemented soon. I heard 2020 but it might even be earlier. I think the capstone is 8 weeks. Maybe someone else can help?

She still has at least 75% of the degree left, hasn't even applied to any school and doesn't have a high school diploma yet. So yes with all those factors it would definitely take at least 6 months, probably more.

If I were you I'd research whether or not she would be able to get into any school of the big 3 without a high school diploma and still in high school. I'm not actually sure. I know for TESU the age wavier is required but because of all the University credit maybe she could get in now. But I'm not sure. Also some states have rules where you can't get a bachelors degree before a high school diploma if you are enrolled in high school at the same time. You would have to check all the policies for both the big 3 schools and home school policies in your state. Hope that makes sense.

It might just be easier to wait until after graduation. In the case of June courses at TESU capstone and cornerstone would be completed at the end of August. The degree just wouldn't confer until December but all work would be done by end of August, it's just how TESU works.
(08-22-2019, 10:19 PM)amberwalk Wrote: Yes, so sorry that I wasnt clear on the school.  Any of the Big 3.  Any degree besides interdisciplinary studies.  Thank you

The Big3 don't really offer Interdisciplinary Studies through testing out, but they all do offer Liberal Arts - which is most likely the path available to her due to her age (What's the difference, see - https://www.bestvalueschools.com/faq/wha...eral-arts/).  Possible she could get a waiver from TESU since she will have some actual RA credits at 18, and that may open up a BA in Psychology (this would at least apply to ministry work by understanding people better).  Unless she has always dreamed of accounting I wouldn't advise her on a BSBA path at this time. She is young so a Liberal Arts path would give her the most chance to explore topics - as the subjects available the most diverse (which at 18, and barely out of HS, is what should be done -imo).   Either path, she very likely won't be able to graduate by May with a college degree (she hasn't even finished HS yet), but she could have all her credits other than the cornerstone and capstone done - and that would be a huge accomplishment to be that close to complete at her age.   Unless she has the dream of being an accountant (TESU, BSBA Accounting) or has great interest in Psychology (TESU, BA Psychology), then I'd recommend COSC for a Liberal Arts degree; as it has been a good choice for many younger students here, and right now it is the lowest cost.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thanks for all of the advise.  But I think I need to clarify again.  She's over 18.  Has 36 credits in various courses.  LETS SAY SHES GRADUATED for this plans sake because it's causing way to much confusion.  I now know the length of time a corner and capstone take, very helpful.  The goal: I need a credit earning plan (non clep) in any field that's not math heavy and not criminal justice to earn all of the credits needed for said degree BEFORE the cap/cornerstone.  So roughly 80 credits.  If anyone has such a course of action plan, please share with me.  I'd be very appreciative.  Just trying to get a direction, any direction, that's a straight line,for fastest credit earning potential that will count towards a degree that doesn't utilize clep tests
(08-23-2019, 12:59 PM)amberwalk Wrote: Thanks for all of the advise.  But I think I need to clarify again.  She's over 18.  Has 36 credits in various courses.  LETS SAY SHES GRADUATED for this plans sake because it's causing way to much confusion.  I now know the length of time a corner and capstone take, very helpful.  The goal: I need a credit earning plan (non clep) in any field that's not math heavy and not criminal justice to earn all of the credits needed for said degree BEFORE the cap/cornerstone.  So roughly 80 credits.  If anyone has such a course of action plan, please share with me.  I'd be very appreciative.  Just trying to get a direction, any direction, that's a straight line,for fastest credit earning potential that will count towards a degree that doesn't utilize clep tests

Question - when you say "no CLEP exams" does that mean you don't want to test and want to take courses, or does it mean no alternative credit?  I'm going to assume no tests.

I'd go with the COSC BALS degree if she can pass either College Algebra or Stats.  TESU only requires College Math/Liberal Arts Math, although they will be quite a bit more expensive (probably ~$2,000 more).

Either way, you can do 114cr, and then enroll whenever you issue the diploma.  I'd do that in the spring so she could do the cornerstone then, and the capstone as soon as she was done with that.

If you let me know which school, I will attach a degree plan.  If you tell us what credits she already has, and what she's planning on taking, I can plug those in for you as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • amberwalk
(08-23-2019, 03:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 12:59 PM)amberwalk Wrote: Thanks for all of the advise.  But I think I need to clarify again.  She's over 18.  Has 36 credits in various courses.  LETS SAY SHES GRADUATED for this plans sake because it's causing way to much confusion.  I now know the length of time a corner and capstone take, very helpful.  The goal: I need a credit earning plan (non clep) in any field that's not math heavy and not criminal justice to earn all of the credits needed for said degree BEFORE the cap/cornerstone.  So roughly 80 credits.  If anyone has such a course of action plan, please share with me.  I'd be very appreciative.  Just trying to get a direction, any direction, that's a straight line,for fastest credit earning potential that will count towards a degree that doesn't utilize clep tests

Question - when you say "no CLEP exams" does that mean you don't want to test and want to take courses, or does it mean no alternative credit?  I'm going to assume no tests.

I'd go with the COSC BALS degree if she can pass either College Algebra or Stats.  TESU only requires College Math/Liberal Arts Math, although they will be quite a bit more expensive (probably ~$2,000 more).

Either way, you can do 114cr, and then enroll whenever you issue the diploma.  I'd do that in the spring so she could do the cornerstone then, and the capstone as soon as she was done with that.

If you let me know which school, I will attach a degree plan.  If you tell us what credits she already has, and what she's planning on taking, I can plug those in for you as well.

Thank you!
Yes, No clep means we are not planning to test out of anything, only alternative credit courses through SDC, etc.  She currently has, or will have 36 credits, looking at TESU or Charter Oak.  It took me forever on COs site today to find what they consider general course credits.
Currently taking from SEU to lighten the course-load later :
Theo 2132 Christian Thought
Core 1001 Christian Calling
Bible 1433 Old Testament Survey
Bible 1533 New Testament Survey
(12 Credits)
Liberty: English 100, I dont know if it will transfer (3 credits)
Bluefield College:  BUS ? Computer Applications (3 credits)
Sophia:
Managing conflict 1 
Dev Effective Teams 1
Student Success 1
College Algebra 3
Visual Communication 3
Biology 3
Art History 3
Psychology 3
(18 credits)
I would call up TESU or one of the others and ask them some of those questions. Those would be your best bet. And, with cleps she can get another bunch of credits for free without too much effort. She will need some upper level courses, but she should be able to do that through TESU or Charter Oak or whichever. I would call them up though first, and see what they say.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,451 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 769 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 375 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader