Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP: Pros vs. Cons?
(09-03-2019, 07:23 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 03:22 PM)cookderosa Wrote: So.... how did it go?

The CLEP was interesting, but the environment I took it in was less-than pleasant, as they had to physically inspect my glasses, my engagement ring and every part of my pants to ensure I wouldn’t cheat.  They even used a metal detector on me, haha.  Still, they were just doing their jobs.  Regardless, I won’t know my score until the 15th and I believe the wait is far more difficult compared to the actual exam.  XD
What!? That's crazy. Did you take the CLEP at a community college? We go to a community college and they just tell us to put our purse, watch, and pocket items in a locker.
(09-03-2019, 07:27 AM)Murdockb Wrote:

The CLEP was interesting, but the environment I took it in was less-than pleasant, as they had to physically inspect my glasses, my engagement ring and every part of my pants to ensure I wouldn’t cheat.  They even used a metal detector on me, haha.  Still, they were just doing their jobs.  Regardless, I won’t know my score until the 15th and I believe the wait is far more difficult compared to the actual exam.  XD
What!? That's crazy. Did you take the CLEP at a community college? We go to a community college and they just tell us to put our purse, watch, and pocket items in a locker.

Nope, it was a University.  They had me put all of my belongings in a locker as well, then did the pat-down/scan/etc.  Heck, they refused me bringing in my coffee and was only allowed to drink more on my 5-minute break.  It ran up my anxiety a lot.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)

My CLEP experience went something like this:

On the phone:
Me: "Hey I want to take a Test"
Testing Center Dude:  "Sure whenver"
Me: "how about tomorrow"
Testing Center Dude:  "ok done.  Come in early if you want and we'll get you started early"

At the testing center:
Testing Center Dude "Id and CLEP ticket please"
Me:  "here u go"
Testing Center Dude "no phone right?"
Me "left in car"  

Then bring me to a small private room to take the test.  Pretty laid back environment, no noise at all. 

They have lockers however car parking is literally like 20 feet away so I just leave everything but my car keys and id in the car. 

As far as CLEP better or worse than other options that may depend on the specific course you are referring to.

For example, one blogger reported that the Study.com English comp was pure hell and took forever.   Doing 1 CLEP seems far better and free to boot.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
My CLEP experience has not been too bad. I've taken CLEP at three different community colleges.

Center 1: You can take CLEP anytime within the testing center hours are open. However, there has to be space open because they only have two dedicated computers for CLEP and sometimes they use them for other tests too. They want you to call ahead but you can walk in they will let you take it only if there are computers open. You can't start tests within an hour of when the center closes and some days are blocked from CLEP testing if they have a large group reserved to use the center. But this was easily the most flexible as far as scheduling I've come across. Every time I test there they insisted to physically see that my phone was powered off. I had to place my backpack in dedicated shelving. I took the CLEP in the back of a security camera filled testing center with other testers taking various college tests. It was silent.

Center 2: They only offer CLEPs once a month usually a Wednesday. They have two time slots morning and an afternoon and you can do one or both of the slots. However, both slots have a limited number of poeple and tend to get full since they only offer clep once a month. I walked in the day of clep and got in, but that was only because it wasn't full. So most of the time you have to sign up ahead of time. I had to put all my stuff in lockers far away from the test room. They insisted I remove my analog watch as they have a strict no watch or bracelet policy for all tests. This center offers DSSTs as well which you can take anytime when the center is open as long as you call ahead, so I found it weird that they didn't offer CLEP like that. Maybe because CLEP is more common. All CLEP is done in a separate room solely with other CLEP testers and they enforce no noise. Everyone starts their tests at the exact same time.

Test Center 3: They only offer CLEP on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays between the hours of 11 to 5 or something similar to that. You must call head before you take the test. Also I paid the center fee at the cashiers office downstairs before you start the test. This was weird because all the other tests I paid at the desk at the test center. I took two CLEPs at this center and both times they took me to a computer lab and I was the only person in the room, but I took them during times when college classes weren't in session, so I was told this wasn't normal. The least secure of all of them, they asked me if I wanted to have my backpack at my feet or store it in a locker. I choose the locker because that is what I was used to and I didn't want to be distracted. However, even if I choose to have the backpack on the floor at my feet I would have still had to lock up my cell phone per policy.

Just a note any CLEP that does not require an essay you get to see your scores instantly after you take the test.
Man, I wish I had the experiences you all had, as my university here in Nashville only does them every other Wednesday at 1PM — which is AWFUL for those of us that work normal business hours on the weekdays and can’t keep using PTO to take a test. I have to drive far out to take the test at a college that allows weekdays & weekend testing, so I may just go that route for now on.

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
(09-06-2019, 08:41 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: Man, I wish I had the experiences you all had, as my university here in Nashville only does them every other Wednesday at 1PM — which is AWFUL for those of us that work normal business hours on the weekdays and can’t keep using PTO to take a test.  I have to drive far out to take the test at a college that allows weekdays & weekend testing, so I may just go that route for now on.

You know you can use this: https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search

Not sure if you used it.
Overall, I've found it easier to just take classes through SL because they're cheaper at the end of the day. Less running around, burning gas, waiting, and everything else that comes with leaving the house to take an exam. I think the single greatest advantage is that more colleges take CLEP as alternative credit. Luckily, ACE is gaining ground and schools are learning that not everyone learns the same. My community college, Union County College, takes ACE credits and they now take ACE credits for their sciences, including the nursing program. This has been a tremendous saving$ for my girlfriend and I (she's going to nursing school). With proctoring technology becoming more advanced and streamline, I think colleges are becoming more accepting of the ACE credits. So what I would say is this... check the school you want to go to FIRST, and then do what works best for you. Some people can study for 2 weeks and pass a CLEP and some people's anxiety goes through the roof when they enter testing facilities; if the later is you, then you'll likely prefer ACE credits.
(09-06-2019, 08:48 AM)natshar Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 08:41 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: Man, I wish I had the experiences you all had, as my university here in Nashville only does them every other Wednesday at 1PM — which is AWFUL for those of us that work normal business hours on the weekdays and can’t keep using PTO to take a test.  I have to drive far out to take the test at a college that allows weekdays & weekend testing, so I may just go that route for now on.

You know you can use this: https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search

Not sure if you used it.

Yep, I already used that, as it allowed me to see the next closest college to do CLEP exams.

(09-06-2019, 09:11 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Overall, I've found it easier to just take classes through SL because they're cheaper at the end of the day. Less running around, burning gas, waiting, and everything else that comes with leaving the house to take an exam. I think the single greatest advantage is that more colleges take CLEP as alternative credit. Luckily, ACE is gaining ground and schools are learning that not everyone learns the same. My community college, Union County College, takes ACE credits and they now take ACE credits for their sciences, including the nursing program. This has been a tremendous saving$ for my girlfriend and I (she's going to nursing school). With proctoring technology becoming more advanced and streamline, I think colleges are becoming more accepting of the ACE credits. So what I would say is this... check the school you want to go to FIRST, and then do what works best for you. Some people can study for 2 weeks and pass a CLEP and some people's anxiety goes through the roof when they enter testing facilities; if the later is you, then you'll likely prefer ACE credits.

That’s a valid point, but are you factoring in ModernStates for saving you on the costs for exams?  Because not paying that $89 fee and being reimbursed the Admin fee makes it practically free.

Seems a little excessive. I might look for an alternative testing center for future exams.
Fingers crossed that you passed! Smile

Also, I did my TESU degree doing CLEPs and DSSTs before ACE courses were prevalent like they are now. To contrast that with my kids who mainly did ACE courses, I think my learning style prefers the indy-study followed by 1 exam. My son who has used a lot of Studycom courses spends a LOT of time on his courses, especially the ones that have assignments. My kids used Straighterline a lot a couple years back, and it was a little less "work for them but studying for the exams was very hard (unlike CLEP) because you're guessing what they want based on the feedback of a few. With CLEP you have feedback of many, and study guides that are directly targeted towards those exams specifically - I found it pretty obvious what I needed to know, and enjoyed learning it in my own way. But, to each his own of course! (p.s. Modern States is a game-changer. College is free!)
Does anyone know if they ever report CLEP scores earlier than the date it becomes available online? It says they grade my essays today and are given to me on the 15th, but curious if they ever go up early by some miracle? I’m just anxious, haha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 146 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 464 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 764 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 490 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 634 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 406 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 450 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  What is Modern States? (AKA How to Take CLEP Tests for FREE) sgloer 1 1,985 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Dango375
  ACE Recommendations for several CLEP Exams expiring today jch 2 936 12-01-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: jch
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 551 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM