Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 years later
(09-01-2019, 08:59 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: Yes, they ask for 90 credits in liberal art, not 60 as i told you before. 30 UL and 60 LL, you already have 22 credits in liberal arts; you can get 27 UL credits using study.com and 3 more credits with capstone, i think you have no other chance to get UL credits in liberal arts on the net (Study.com is the main provider for Liberal arts upper credits)... then you can get all the LL credits by using Shmoop...

StraighterLine
Shmoop
Study.com
Sophia
TEEX (they offer some free courses in Cybersecurity you can do if you are US recident)
OnlineDegree
DAVAR Academy
Coopersmith
Saylor.org (also free courses, you must pay just pay 25-30 per proctored exam, im doing marcoeconomics with them now)
ALEKS
Ed4Credits

And a few more are the credits courses providers... some of them only offer courses for US citizens (i'm not). But the most important ones are those who offer ACE credits, you can create an ACE account and transfer the credits you earn for this account. So the main providers are Study.com, SL, Sophia.org and Shmoop...

Shmoop credits are not acepted by TESU, but they are acepted by COSC and Excelsior.

So I should apply for COSC BALS (but not join), to get the list of classes I need, then try to get as many as possible using the 3rd party sites?
(09-01-2019, 09:15 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 08:59 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: Yes, they ask for 90 credits in liberal art, not 60 as i told you before. 30 UL and 60 LL, you already have 22 credits in liberal arts; you can get 27 UL credits using study.com and 3 more credits with capstone, i think you have no other chance to get UL credits in liberal arts on the net (Study.com is the main provider for Liberal arts upper credits)... then you can get all the LL credits by using Shmoop...

StraighterLine
Shmoop
Study.com
Sophia
TEEX (they offer some free courses in Cybersecurity you can do if you are US recident)
OnlineDegree
DAVAR Academy
Coopersmith
Saylor.org (also free courses, you must pay just pay 25-30 per proctored exam, im doing marcoeconomics with them now)
ALEKS
Ed4Credits

And a few more are the credits courses providers... some of them only offer courses for US citizens (i'm not). But the most important ones are those who offer ACE credits, you can create an ACE account and transfer the credits you earn for this account. So the main providers are Study.com, SL, Sophia.org and Shmoop...

Shmoop credits are not acepted by TESU, but they are acepted by COSC and Excelsior.

So I should apply for COSC BALS (but not join), to get the list of classes I need, then try to get as many as possible using the 3rd party sites?

You can apply for about 50 usd, application just check your transcription and told you which of your courses meet a request in the degree plan.

To get information about what courses you need to meet the best way is to check the degree plan and then check the services (study.com, saylor.org, SL, Sophia.org, etc) courses equivalences to see what courses they offer that fill these meets.

No info about Shmoop courses equivalences but COSC will take all the Liberal arts courses as lower level LA courses.

https://www.saylor.org/partners/credit-p...e-college/
https://study.com/directory/school/Chart...ransferTab
https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

Also review this thread about a guy who finish BSBA in COSC... BSBA is different that BALS but you can check the general education request and how he fill the courses requests:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript

(check the images he upload in first post)
(09-01-2019, 10:21 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 09:15 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:

StraighterLine
Shmoop
Study.com
Sophia
OnlineDegree
DAVAR Academy
Coopersmith
ALEKS
Ed4Credits

You can apply for about 50 usd, application just check your transcription and told you which of your courses meet a request in the degree plan.

To get information about what courses you need to meet the best way is to check the degree plan and then check the services (study.com, saylor.org, SL, Sophia.org, etc) courses equivalences to see what courses they offer that fill these meets.

No info about Shmoop courses equivalences but COSC will take all the Liberal arts courses as lower level LA courses.

https://www.saylor.org/partners/credit-p...e-college/
https://study.com/directory/school/Chart...ransferTab
https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/

Also review this thread about a guy who finish BSBA in COSC... BSBA is different that BALS but you can check the general education request and how he fill the courses requests:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript

(check the images he upload in first post)

Make sure to check the ACE list before taking any Shmoop courses as they've let a lot expire recently.  Allegedly they are working to get them renewed, but it would suck to put forth the effort to take a course and find out after the fact that it's no longer valid.  http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...CE=1008456  And the same advice should apply to any course vendor, not just Shmoop.  I'm singling them out as they recently had 24 courses expire which I found annoying as I was looking at them for some extra credits.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
Since it sounds like you are mostly in need of a degree quickly, so you can 'check the box' when applying for new jobs a BA/BSLS as suggested here might indeed be a good option. COSC is currently the lower cost and you may be able to choose a path to get a concentration in a tech area (if that is still your likely continuted field) - https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/2017-...ations.php

I would recommend Study.com Biology w/Lab as the course to meet the science with lab requirement (4 credits).  The lab is only $40 extra and is all virtual (online), SL's lab kits are significant higher. It is likely you will use Study.com for at least a few courses anyway; as they offer the most UL options.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-01-2019, 02:34 PM)justlearning123 Wrote: I'm more lost now that I was when I first posted here 8 years ago.   I still need a degree to make myself more employable, and have no idea where to start. 

Well, forgive my boldness, but you DO know where to start. You've been here for 8 years and every few years you make a post asking for help crafting an IT degree. You also knew enough that you googled finding a SL partner school. That's something - give yourself credit. You DO know where to start, you're here. The first 90 credits will cost you next to nothing ( a few thousand tops) so it's time to quit thinking about it and pull the trigger, otherwise, you'll post again in 2021 asking for help. You can do it, you just have to jump in. It's not nearly as hard as you're imagining, and between now and the NEXT 8 years, you could have your associate's, bachelor's, master's and a handful of IT certs. Now is the time!
(09-01-2019, 02:34 PM)justlearning123 Wrote: I had a bad experience at a "pay 6 months in advance" school, so I think I would want to do something in smaller steps.

These aren't mutually exclusive. I knocked out 67 CUs (of 122) of a Cybersec degree at WGU before I even enrolled.

You can also do WGU Academy (Straighterline based) for $150/mo. to get some other credits:

https://academy.wgu.edu/program/it?degree=it
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

I think getting a BALS is not a great idea for you, since you already have tech experience and want a Cybersecurity degree. 2 good options are TESU (I think it's about to be full tested out of except the cornerstone/capstone) and WGU (which is able to be tested out of for the first 90 or so credits).

You just need to decide, and then get going. The longer you wait, the longer it will take.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-03-2019, 12:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think getting a BALS is not a great idea for you, since you already have tech experience and want a Cybersecurity degree.  2 good options are TESU (I think it's about to be full tested out of except the cornerstone/capstone) and WGU (which is able to be tested out of for the first 90 or so credits).

You just need to decide, and then get going.  The longer you wait, the longer it will take.

When you mention testing out of 90 credits at WGU, are you talking about WGU Academy?  I went to WGU briefly, but did not renew because it was going to take an "estimated 14 years" to graduate. I wouldn't take the exams until I got a 100 on the test exams, which took a long time.
(09-05-2019, 06:01 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 12:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think getting a BALS is not a great idea for you, since you already have tech experience and want a Cybersecurity degree.  2 good options are TESU (I think it's about to be full tested out of except the cornerstone/capstone) and WGU (which is able to be tested out of for the first 90 or so credits).

You just need to decide, and then get going.  The longer you wait, the longer it will take.

When you mention testing out of 90 credits at WGU, are you talking about WGU Academy?  I went to WGU briefly, but did not renew because it was going to take an "estimated 14 years" to graduate. I wouldn't take the exams until I got a 100 on the test exams, which took a long time.

Considering most certification exams only require a 65-70% to pass, going for 100% may be a bit excessive especially when you consider how much it slows your progress.  Have you considered that perhaps you should be changing your methodology since it is obvious that is either slows you down excessively or is providing you with a lame excuse as to not completing a degree?
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • jsd
(09-05-2019, 06:15 PM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:01 PM)justlearning123 Wrote:

Considering most certification exams only require a 65-70% to pass, going for 100% may be a bit excessive especially when you consider how much it slows your progress.  Have you considered that perhaps you should be changing your methodology since it is obvious that is either slows you down excessively or is providing you with a lame excuse as to not completing a degree?

What do you think?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer bjcheung77 6 685 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Scientist dies at 29 years of age... bjcheung77 4 410 10-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 333 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thank you for the many years of useful information vetvso 2 485 09-25-2022, 04:29 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  True to his words - Many years later, NHL Player finishes degree! bjcheung77 2 708 06-19-2022, 11:25 AM
  $250,000 in student debt after 13 years... bjcheung77 17 1,602 06-02-2022, 04:44 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  University Buys land, wait 5 years, sell it back for 2.5x profit... bjcheung77 0 505 05-16-2022, 03:06 PM
  Superstars get educated too! 13 years after starting... bjcheung77 2 589 05-16-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 867 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705